Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Menko
Correct estnet - it has been in existence for as long as I have traveled to Thailand - it's actually readily visible in English writing on their entrance signs, if you attend a National Park, Museum, etc.
Menko
sort of.... but this wasn't quite as blatant as the park thing with the two rates side by side. Most tourists wouldn't know b/c the rate was only advertised in Thai language (newspapers). I asked a GM about it - oh 20 or 30 years ago and he said it was "required" by the government - don't know what was going on at that time.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by estnet
sort of.... but this wasn't quite as blatant as the park thing with the two rates side by side. Most tourists wouldn't know b/c the rate was only advertised in Thai language (newspapers). I asked a GM about it - oh 20 or 30 years ago and he said it was "required" by the government - don't know what was going on at that time.
they even use the old Thai number system to write the prices for Thai nationals, so that no foreigner can even guess... in common life no Thai use those Thai numbers anymore; they use 0,1,2,3 like us. You only find it on official documents or at entrances to National Parks or other places where dual prices are in place

It was under the Thaksin government around 20 years ago, when prices for foreigners to National Parks got increased a lot. Dual pricing existed before but the differences were much smaller...
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
they even use the old Thai number system to write the prices for Thai nationals, so that no foreigner can even guess... in common life no Thai use those Thai numbers anymore; they use 0,1,2,3 like us. You only find it on official documents or at entrances to National Parks or other places where dual prices are in place

It was under the Thaksin government around 20 years ago, when prices for foreigners to National Parks got increased a lot. Dual pricing existed before but the differences were much smaller...
well, unless you bother to learn to read Thai numbers
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Lots of countries have that. Dual pricing. It is discrimination I know but that's the way it is. Even in airfare and airport taxes.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: UA
I'm unable to add a credit card to Grab. This seems like it might be a more general problem for US credit cards as well. Anybody have any alternatives for calling rides?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
I'm unable to add a credit card to Grab. This seems like it might be a more general problem for US credit cards as well. Anybody have any alternatives for calling rides?
you can call Grab rides without a credit card and pay cash
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
You can also download and use Bolt, another ride share service that is also cash only.

I've found Bolt to be less expensive than Grab.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agree. I use Bolt all the time. Works well.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I've found Bolt to be less expensive than Grab.
it depends...
sometimes Grab is cheaper and often with Bolt, it can take a lot of time until the driver arrives...

in general normal taxi with meter is still cheaper than both services
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I have heard numerous people say Bolt is rather dubious - if any of them, I would use Grab. It just annoys me to bits that these wannabe-cab-drivers have zero clue about directions (let alone driving) and rely 100% on the app navigation, which often is it optimal.

Actually, I prefer normal taxis these days!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:52 pm

another fire disaster

tonight another fire disaster in an entertainment venue in thailand
mountain B Pub in Sattahip
currently at least 14 dead and 41 injured
of course no emergency exits, just one entrance/exit

will update with sources when english speaking media report about it
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:00 pm

sometimes Grab is cheaper and often with Bolt, it can take a lot of time until the driver arrives...
Agree, although Bolt wins about 80-90% on price only for me. On Grab I can be more sure the driver will turn up.

in general normal taxi with meter is still cheaper than both services
Disagree. I had a taxi driver experiment on a route I did regularly for several months so knew the Bolt and Grab range of prices. One time he put the meter on to compare and it was about 10% more than the top Bolt/Grab offer. YMMV.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:15 pm

tonight another fire disaster in an entertainment venue in thailand
mountain B Pub in Sattahip
currently at least 14 dead and 41 injured
of course no emergency exits, just one entrance/exit

will update with sources when english speaking media report about it
further info:

Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:22 pm

update in Bangkok Post
Fire at Chon Buri pub kills 13, injures 40 (bangkokpost.com)

the clip with people on fire running out of the pub is just horrilbe
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:25 pm

and on The Nation
13 killed, 41 injured as flames envelop entertainment venue in Sattahip (nationthailand.com)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.