Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Advice about travel to BKK & HKT (end-Oct)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP

I am planning a self-exploring trip to TH end-October- covering Bangkok & Phuket. I am eligible to Visa on Arrival for 15 days, at a charge of THB 1,000.

I have a few querries, hopefully the veterans shall help resolve and maybe share a few tips as well.

1. Besides the requirement of confirmed return air-tickets, 2 passport size photo and proof of funds (about THB 10,000) and a travel insurance; would the Immigrations Officials need confirmed hotel bookings? I was hoping to walk-up and choose a place that I liked.

2. Which mobile service provider is recommended for good coverage / data usage in & around BKK / HKT. Any documents they would need?

3. I plan to stay in BKK for about 8/9 days and then fly to HKT for about 5 days on ThaiAirways. On return from HKT, I would connect to my AirIndia flight from BKK, with a halt in between of about 7 hours. Is there likely to be any issue, if i decide to check-in about 7 hours before departure..?

4. I have a habbit of carrying few OTC medicines. Usually has a strip of Paracetamol tabs, another strip of tabs for Cold & Flu, few tabs for upset tummy. Would that be a prob in TH..?

I welcome all advice and suggestions that may help me have a nice & safe trip.

Thanks in advance,
GuyFromBOM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM

1. Besides the requirement of confirmed return air-tickets, 2 passport size photo and proof of funds (about THB 10,000) and a travel insurance; would the Immigrations Officials need confirmed hotel bookings? I was hoping to walk-up and choose a place that I liked.
On the VOA slip to be filled out prior to immi they ask for the hotel but I've never been challenged... even in my backpacker days when I didn't have a place already lined up.

2. Which mobile service provider is recommended for good coverage / data usage in & around BKK / HKT. Any documents they would need?
I use DTAC but others can chime in depending upon exactly what you're looking for. You can buy a SIM anywhere practically and the only 'document' is cash.

3. I plan to stay in BKK for about 8/9 days and then fly to HKT for about 5 days on ThaiAirways. On return from HKT, I would connect to my AirIndia flight from BKK, with a halt in between of about 7 hours. Is there likely to be any issue, if i decide to check-in about 7 hours before departure..?
Don't know but why do you want to spend 8/9 days in bangkok? I love the place but that's a long time.

4. I have a habbit of carrying few OTC medicines. Usually has a strip of Paracetamol tabs, another strip of tabs for Cold & Flu, few tabs for upset tummy. Would that be a prob in TH..?
Succinctly: No problem.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:43 am

You will need two different sim cards for Bkk and HK.

When you exit Bkk customs, there are numerous kiosks selling prepaid accounts btw doors 5-7. I use AIS - but all offer basically same plan. B$299 for unlimited data/text 7 or 30 days plus voice.

In HK, go upstairs to arrival hall, look for 1010 store and again get prepaid account, less than HK$100 for 7-30 days unlimited data/text and voice.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dtsm
You will need two different sim cards for Bkk and HK.

When you exit Bkk customs, there are numerous kiosks selling prepaid accounts btw doors 5-7. I use AIS - but all offer basically same plan. B$299 for unlimited data/text 7 or 30 days plus voice.

In HK, go upstairs to arrival hall, look for 1010 store and again get prepaid account, less than HK$100 for 7-30 days unlimited data/text and voice.
I think you mis-read the post. He wanted a SIM card for Bangkok and Phuket....BKK and HKT. Nothing about Hong Kong.

For the OP:
Any of the major SIM providers should be fine while in Thailand. You are staying in larger metro areas, so no worries about coverage. Ask about SIM with data plan if you are going to use data in addition to voice.

No problem with OTC medications. Know that pharmacies are widely available with most anything that you need, should you need something while in Thailand.

You will need to check with Air India to see what time their counters are open for check in. You may be arriving before they are open for service, which would prevent you from checking in for your flight. As you are arriving from domestic service, it would be very easy to get away from the airport during the 7 hours to help pass the time. Some good food and a lengthy massage would certainly be better then just hanging out in the airport.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Thanks for the prompt response..! ^

Any more experiences / advice about the Hotel Booking / confirmation WRT the Visa On Arrival process?

AirIndia has tied-up with the 'Louis Tavern Lounge' @ Level 3 in the Departure Concourse. Any review about the 'Louis Tavern Lounge'?

Any other suggestions for a 1st timer to Thailand..?
I will surely reciprocate for tips about travel to India / UAE..!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Visa on Arrival. I have a US passport so I get the visa waiver for 30 day visit. Hopefully someone that has been through the VOA process will chime in with their experience.

The same with the Louis Tavern lounge. I have not been in that lounge. I believe Air India is in the Star Alliance now, so if you are traveling in Business Class on Air India you would also be eligible for entry into the Thai Airways business lounge, as well as others. Worth looking into for options.

Not sure about any generic tips for first time visit to Thailand. There are threads in this forum with many topics about what to do in Bangkok, and to a lesser extent, Phuket. If you tell us a little bit about your interests and what type of activities you enjoy, we might be able to help out a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.