Wiki Posts
Search

Small gifts for Thai friends and associates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Small gifts for Thai friends and associates

What gifts do you bring back for your friends, family and/or business colleagues when you return to Thailand? Always find myself struggling to come up with small, relatively inexpensive tokens — usually looking to spend under $20, but might be up to $40-$50 depending on recipient.

I know it's the thought that counts, especially in Asia, but I really like to feel I've found something that's actually appreciated.

Since I'm usually coming from the USA, I've done See's chocolates, California almonds, small accessories from uniquely American stores like Nordstrom or Saks...

Any ideas? Things you've found that were particularly successful?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Good question. I also struggle with this and now just ask them exactly what they would like.

Something uniquely American is difficult because 1) it's usually made in China and 2) if it is so unique to Americans then they probably do not want it anyways.

Females friends have ordered cosmetics online, have it shipped to my house and I brought it to them. Another friend asked me to bring a bottle of local liquor. Have also brought shoes that one guy wanted and another friend wanted a smartphone that was much cheaper in the US.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:32 pm

Asking is usually the safest thing to do.

Otherwise, continue aiming for food items.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I should have been clear that it doesn't have to be USA-centric. That was just mentioned as an example.

Naturally I ask about and often bring back things as favors to friends, usually items that are too expensive or hard to find.

I'm more interested in the small gifts that are typically brought back as a token of remembrance for friends, coworkers... along the lines of souvenirs and the like... very customary among Asians.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
What gifts do you bring back for your friends, family and/or business colleagues when you return to Thailand? Always find myself struggling to come up with small, relatively inexpensive tokens — usually looking to spend under $20, but might be up to $40-$50 depending on recipient.

I know it's the thought that counts, especially in Asia, but I really like to feel I've found something that's actually appreciated.

Since I'm usually coming from the USA, I've done See's chocolates, California almonds, small accessories from uniquely American stores like Nordstrom or Saks...

Any ideas? Things you've found that were particularly successful?
Garrett Popcorn. They're addicted to it. Garrett is finally opening a shop in Paragon, but in the meantime it's a great gift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.