Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
My recent visit to Bangkok reminded me of how irritating it was to use the rail transit, and in general how much more I like the buses.

1) Transit-wise, the Rabbit card is still only for the BTS. What a joke. However, I did notice that Rabbit could also be used at some shopping center food establishments.
The MRT Yellow & Pink Lines will use the Rabbit card
2) The advertising plastered all over the BTS carriages seems like it would be very unsafe in times of emergency. Plus, you could never tell how full the damn carriage is. And where's the mute button for the advertising inside of the BTS?

3) Where's the Spider card? I thought that was the key to unite BTS/MRT/Airport Rail.
MRTA & MOT couldn't get BEM & BTSC to coperate as the private operators mistakenly think they will lose revenue. The concession agreements don't complel the operators to introduce a single ticketing platform which is the fault of the MRTA and BMA. More, recently the BMA is musing giving the BTS network to the MRTA given construction & operational debts that have been transferred to the BMA.
4) Single-use tickets aren't valid for the next day, and they're only valid for specific stations. Ridiculous. In places where I'm familiar with the territory, I've tended to buy a ticket in advance (e.g. for a metro somewhere, when I'm lugging bags to an airport/train station) so as to not have to deal with peak traffic ... at the ticket counters/machines.

5) The major bus complaint is that at the newer bus stops, there are screens telling you when certain buses will be stopping there. However, those screens are only in Thai. Detractors might say, "then go learn Thai." I get that short-term visitors don't tend to use the bus (save for a few lines involving Sukhumvit/Khao San), but if you're going to have the name of the bus stop in English (and at random bus stops, a bilingual bus route guide), why not just have the screen quickly alter between Thai and English.

On the other foot, the good news is that those bus stops with screens tend to have wi-fi; just zip to this website and it's all good.]
That website is not that great.
Next time you are in BKK download the VIABus app. It has real time locations and routes of all BMTA buses. Just click on any bus stop and you can see where every bus curerently is that uses that stop . Clcik on each bus number listed to see the whole route. It will even give you an ETA based on curerent traffic conditions. It is very easy to use and you don't need to know any Thai.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia&hl=en&gl=US
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Construction progress as at 28 Feb
ARL ext from Phaya Thai to DMK
For the Airport Link the CP consortium did finally take over operations in Sept last year after missing 3 payment deadlines. However, they have delayed starting works on the estension to DMK and the Eastern HSR line (AKA 3 Airport line) as the consortium is seeking to renegotiate the terms of the contract and concession in a post Covid context. When they originally signed the contract in Oct 2019 they stated that the line would be operational by 2024.

Assuming that construction does begin mid 2023 to Q3 2023, then this line will not be completed until late 2028 and more likely well into 2029.
No surprises there but appreciate the update (all of the updates)
Is it safe to assume that there's less pressure to complete the ARL extension from Phaya Thai to DMK now that the SRT Red Line from Bang Sue with DMK is operational? Or not related at all.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:32 pm

I look forward to HSR to Korat. One day that and the new M6 motorway (Bang Pa-in to Korat and beyond) will both be open. Hopefully I will still be around when they finish.

-David
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I look forward to HSR to Korat. One day that and the new M6 motorway (Bang Pa-in to Korat and beyond) will both be open. Hopefully I will still be around when they finish.

-David
Let's hope it will be in our lifetimes
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:25 am
Original Poster

1) MRT Orange Line: 99%
2) MRT Pink Line: 95.37%
3) MRT Yellow Line: 98.54%
4) MRT Purple Line:7.73%

Further delays with the opening of the MRT Pink and MRT Yellow monorail lines
The MRT Yellow line and MRT Pink line were due to open as per I posted above. However, In early Nov it was obvious that there were significant delays with the installing of systems and also with fitting out of stations and exit/entrances installation - stairs and escalators. Accordingly, in mid Dec the BSR announced that both lines would now open later in 2023. Initially, it was said to be June for the Yellow line and August for 1st stage of Pink but more recently.it is now;
MRT Yellow line finally open for free trial !
There has been a lot of confusion with contradictory announcements made in the last few weeks by both BSR and MRTA, but finally the first part of the MRT Yellow line opened for free trial period last Sat 3 June. The first section open is from Samrong to Hua Mark so it links the BTS and ARL lines.

In a couple of weeks the remainder of the line should open to Latphrao should be open. The free trial period will operate until the end of June from 9am to 8pm runing every 10 mins. It's a bit of a bumpy ride and not everyone loves the lack of seating but thus far loads of Thais are trying it out - 80k in the first 3 days according to the BKK Post.

From 1 July it is expected that full operations will commence.

MRT Pink line
For the Pink line it is currently stated that it will open in August but only from Minburi to Laksi initially. We'll have to wait for confirmation.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:25 pm

MRT Yellow line finally open for free trial !
There has been a lot of confusion with contradictory announcements made in the last few weeks by both BSR and MRTA, but finally the first part of the MRT Yellow line opened for free trial period last Sat 3 June. The first section open is from Samrong to Hua Mark so it links the BTS and ARL lines.
Let's see, transferring from the ARL to the BTS to the MRT ... How many different tickets does that require?

Inept management for sure. Wasn't the Spider card supposed to cover everything?
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Let's see, transferring from the ARL to the BTS to the MRT ... How many different tickets does that require?

At least three, I presume
Having different ticket systems for each mode of transport is..... yeah I think you used the right terminology.

Guess it is a small consolation that you can use a contactless credit card instead of a ticket token on the MRT nowadays..
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards

Ahh the old Mangmoom saga.

Anyway regarding the new Yellow monorail, is that not being managed by the BTS mob?
And can Rabbit be used on the new Monorail Yellow line?
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond, NOK Star
Originally Posted by seavisionburma

Anyway regarding the new Yellow monorail, is that not being managed by the BTS mob?
Looks like Rabbit can be used according to some YouTube videos I've seen
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma

It has been known for 5 years since the BTSC subsid BSR won the tender that Rabbit cards are the ticketing platform for the 2 monorail lines

From Monday, the trial section will be extended all the way along Lat Phrao rs to YL2 station Phawana with extended operating hours from 6am to 8pm.
(Latphrao still has some installtion works so it won't be ready for a little longer)
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:07 am
Original Poster

1) MRT Orange Line: 99%
2) MRT Pink Line: 95.37%
3) MRT Yellow Line: 98.54%
4) MRT Purple Line:7.73%
Construction progress as at 31 May
1) MRT Orange Line: 99.96% - still at least 2.5 years away from opening
2) MRT Pink Line: 96.73%
2a) MRT Pink line spur: 22.89%
3) MRT Yellow Line: 99.29%
4) MRT Purple Line southern ext:11.55%

MRT Brown line (monorail) update:
The MRTA board has approved the final design but there are still some further pax studies to be completed. Expected to seek approval by the Min of Transport as a PPP project before seeking final Cabinet approval in early 2024. Tender expected in late 2024/early 2025.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:54 am

I travelled on the new Yellow Line on the first day of operation, from Hua Mak to Samrong and back.

I was expecting it to be super-crowded, but it wasn't - plenty of people, but not too busy.

I know that this is a secondary route and cost was an important factor, but while the trains are fine, the ride is quite bumpy - uncomfortably so at some points. I imagine that this will only deteriorate as the line ages.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK

Guess it is a small consolation that you can use a contactless credit card instead of a ticket token on the MRT nowadays..
Oh? International credit cards are accepted MRT-wide now? That's a step forward ... now if we could get the BTS to do the same, as well as remove ads from the doors (from a safety perspective/how freaking crowded is this train perspective), then we'd be cooking with gas.
seavisionburma and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:13 am

Oh? International credit cards are accepted MRT-wide now? That's a step forward ... now if we could get the BTS to do the same, as well as remove ads from the doors (from a safety perspective/how freaking crowded is this train perspective), then we'd be cooking with gas.
Baby-steps.... I assume international cards work as long as they are contact-less, although I have only tried with my local Visa credit card (note, debit cards do not work)
FindingFoodFluency likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:21 am
Original Poster

MRT Yellow line free trial
From today the full line is open for the trail period with the additon of Latphrao station which is now open. Service frequency is still every 10 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.