Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:49 am
  #286  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Posts: 3,990
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
The point is for rescue teams to have unimpeded vision of what's going on, and for passengers to see what the situation is like outside.

Based on your argument, we could cover up airplane windows with reckless impunity, too.



Who cares if they cover parts that AREN'T the windows? That advertising exists on the BTS isn't the issue; the lack of foresight on the part of the operators is.

Then again, in a city where strange bedfellows are an hourly occurrence, it's still ridiculous to see how all of the different transit lines aren't united by a single fare card.
You seem to have an agenda to just criticise everything relating to Bangkok. I wonder why that is?

I was not going to bother responding to you, but if you have proper eye sight you will notice that the adverts are not 100% covering windows, and that is what I meant. They are patterns with blank spaces in them, so perfectly safe and perfectly see-through.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:00 am
  #287  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: YouTube: @FindingFoodFluency
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
You seem to have an agenda to just criticise everything relating to Bangkok. I wonder why that is?

I was not going to bother responding to you, but if you have proper eye sight you will notice that the adverts are not 100% covering windows, and that is what I meant. They are patterns with blank spaces in them, so perfectly safe and perfectly see-through.
Proper eyesight. So during an emergency -- say, a fire -- those little blank spaces within the massive ads make all of the difference? Smoke is filling up the environs, but at least firefighters have small blank spaces to guide them.

Never mind that this is the Thailand forum, but I'm critical of Bangkok's mass transit because it is among the worst experiences I've had within that category. Fare machines not taking coins, long queues to change bills into coins at information kiosks, irritating (in that they have sound, like Hong Kong's overrated system), ads on the side of the train obscuring views, incompatible fare cards between the Airport Express/MRT/BTS/etc., security theater at entrances, and the inability to tap some local fare card for the canal boats/buses, among other reasons.

And then there was that Airport Express Express, with the giant albatross at Makkasan. I may have been one of 10 total passengers in that line's history. Maybe turn it into a series of sepak takraw courts, similar to how Dongguan turned the South China Mall's car parks info badminton courts.

Never mind that the mass transit is actively expanding, and not making any adjustments to the user experience. But I guess with that traffic, even mediocre metro service is a blessing.

Swallow your local pride, and accept the above reality of the Bangkok mass transit system as fact.

​​​​​

Last edited by FindingFoodFluency; Dec 17, 2023 at 2:02 am Reason: Airport Express Express
FindingFoodFluency is offline  
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:05 am
  #288  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,880
Speaking of incompatible fare cards, do 4-5 y.o. Rabbit cards have any use?
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:57 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Proper eyesight. So during an emergency -- say, a fire -- those little blank spaces within the massive ads make all of the difference? Smoke is filling up the environs, but at least firefighters have small blank spaces to guide them.

Never mind that this is the Thailand forum, but I'm critical of Bangkok's mass transit because it is among the worst experiences I've had within that category. Fare machines not taking coins, long queues to change bills into coins at information kiosks, irritating (in that they have sound, like Hong Kong's overrated system), ads on the side of the train obscuring views, incompatible fare cards between the Airport Express/MRT/BTS/etc., security theater at entrances, and the inability to tap some local fare card for the canal boats/buses, among other reasons.

And then there was that Airport Express Express, with the giant albatross at Makkasan. I may have been one of 10 total passengers in that line's history. Maybe turn it into a series of sepak takraw courts, similar to how Dongguan turned the South China Mall's car parks info badminton courts.

Never mind that the mass transit is actively expanding, and not making any adjustments to the user experience. But I guess with that traffic, even mediocre metro service is a blessing.

Swallow your local pride, and accept the above reality of the Bangkok mass transit system as fact.

​​​​​
I am not Thai and sometimes live here to work and I have no idea what you are talking about? BKK Sky train is certainly one of the best I have seen and certainly a lot better than anything in Europe or USA and Canada. The MRT gets full on rush hours no doubt and the Airport Link is one of the worst I have seen in Thailand. It is because it is not run by a private company. The only complaint I have against the BTS is that it is too cold when it is empty. I have never experienced these machines that do not work nor the electric gates that do not work. I commute twice a day.
SKT-DK and Jason77W like this.
Davvidd is offline  
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:50 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: YouTube: @FindingFoodFluency
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I am not Thai and sometimes live here to work and I have no idea what you are talking about? BKK Sky train is certainly one of the best I have seen and certainly a lot better than anything in Europe or USA and Canada. The MRT gets full on rush hours no doubt and the Airport Link is one of the worst I have seen in Thailand. It is because it is not run by a private company. The only complaint I have against the BTS is that it is too cold when it is empty. I have never experienced these machines that do not work nor the electric gates that do not work. I commute twice a day.
Re-read my post. Said nothing about "not working."

It was that ticket machines mostly needs coins to make a purchase, so there's that inefficiency combined with non-residents (and residents) queuing up to buy tickets/get change to buy tickets.

It's also rough that there's only one major transfer station between the two main BTS lines, but that problem is more of an "oh well."

Admittedly, I did forget one positive aspect to the metro-- some foreign credit cards can be used. That's a big one.

If other forums had mass transit threads, I'd be writing in them, too. But this is the Thailand subforum. Simple as.
FindingFoodFluency is offline  
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:52 am
  #291  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by Davvidd
BKK Sky train is certainly one of the best I have seen and certainly a lot better than anything in Europe or USA and Canada.
Your post might carry more weight if you clarified what you are talking about. The Skytrain is a lot better than any other mass-transit system in Europe? That's just ridiculous hyperbole.
Originally Posted by Davvidd
... the Airport Link is one of the worst I have seen in Thailand. It is because it is not run by a private company.
There's only one ARL in Thailand - are you saying it's the worst mass-transit in Thailand? Personally, I think it's not bad at all ... can be improved, of course, but TiT. Not especially worse than either the BTS or the MRT.
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
It's also rough that there's only one major transfer station between the two main BTS lines, but that problem is more of an "oh well.".
What on earth is wrong with just having one interchange between two lines? Makes complete sense to me, especially since it's at the most strategic point.
railways is offline  
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:38 am
  #292  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by railways
Your post might carry more weight if you clarified what you are talking about. The Skytrain is a lot better than any other mass-transit system in Europe? That's just ridiculous hyperbole.

To me yes it is the subways or Underground in the European and in North America.

There's only one ARL in Thailand - are you saying it's the worst mass-transit in Thailand? Personally, I think it's not bad at all ... can be improved, of course, but TiT. Not especially worse than either the BTS or the MRT.

Yes if the worst when you compare it to the BTS, MRT in Bangkok

Yes and I live here now so commute a lot. The Thai Railway is not a very efficient and that is why the Airport Rail Link and the Red Line cannot be compared to the BTS and the MRT.

What on earth is wrong with just having one interchange between two lines? Makes complete sense to me, especially since it's at the most strategic point.
Davvidd is offline  
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:52 pm
  #293  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: RDU/BKK
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Airport Link is one of the worst I have seen in Thailand. It is because it is not run by a private company.
FWIW the skytrain private concession for BTS is the main obstacle to Bangkok having a unified transit fare system. I honestly will be fine without fare-integration, but will simply take being able to pay with contactless everywhere or worst case scenario a common reloadable fare card.

The problem with ARL is simply some good old corruption that led to the attempt to build up Makkasan as a HK-style "city terminal" because a certain former prime minister had real estate interests in that part of town. The three-airport HSR will take over ARL tracks and should hopefully make this line a little more useful. Though, as with the rest of Thailand's new HSR projects, this line will be built with Bang Sue central station in mind, which is unfortunately not central to anything in town.
prathetkrungthep is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:02 am
  #294  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
FWIW the skytrain private concession for BTS is the main obstacle to Bangkok having a unified transit fare system. I honestly will be fine without fare-integration, but will simply take being able to pay with contactless everywhere or worst case scenario a common reloadable fare card.

The problem with ARL is simply some good old corruption that led to the attempt to build up Makkasan as a HK-style "city terminal" because a certain former prime minister had real estate interests in that part of town. The three-airport HSR will take over ARL tracks and should hopefully make this line a little more useful. Though, as with the rest of Thailand's new HSR projects, this line will be built with Bang Sue central station in mind, which is unfortunately not central to anything in town.
Yes I had to interchange at Bang Sue and it is way out of town and the trains run late and is a complete mess.
Davvidd is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:39 am
  #295  
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upcountry Maui, HI
Posts: 13,369
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Speaking of incompatible fare cards, do 4-5 y.o. Rabbit cards have any use?
I think they should still work, and if not you can probably trade it in for a new one. The deposit on a rabbit card is 100 THB now. I forgot to bring mine this time. My old one I think was 50THB deposit.

-David
LIH Prem is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:29 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Posts: 3,990
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think they should still work, and if not you can probably trade it in for a new one. The deposit on a rabbit card is 100 THB now. I forgot to bring mine this time. My old one I think was 50THB deposit.

-David
They will require your passport, as they started demanding that some years ago. At that point I refused to renew mine, and rely on single tickets
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:50 am
  #297  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,880
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
FWIW the skytrain private concession for BTS is the main obstacle to Bangkok having a unified transit fare system. I honestly will be fine without fare-integration, but will simply take being able to pay with contactless everywhere or worst case scenario a common reloadable fare card.
Similarly, the New York subway system was a hodge podge of private and public systems until living memory for an increasingly few.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:35 pm
  #298  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: RDU/BKK
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Similarly, the New York subway system was a hodge podge of private and public systems until living memory for an increasingly few.
Right. Tokyo still remains a fun patchwork of at least a dozen private or private railways, but they combine to work together pretty well with thru-trains, limited fare integration, and common payment method. There's just no will here whatsoever to force the oligarchs to play ball in the public interest.
prathetkrungthep is offline  
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:00 am
  #299  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 20,182
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Similarly, the New York subway system was a hodge podge of private and public systems until living memory for an increasingly few.
Really? When was the system unified as we know it today?
lsquare is online now  
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:42 pm
  #300  
bpe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Japan/Thailand
Programs: AS, UA
Posts: 1,206
The Pink Line is falling apart after being open for only about a month now.

Pink Line conductor rail collapses in Nonthaburi (Bangkok Post, 24 December 2023)

Several kilometres of an aluminum conductor rail on the elevated Pink Line monorail system fell onto a street in Nonthaburi early Sunday morning. Three vehicles were damaged, but no casualties were reported.
Service was suspended that day, most of the line reopened the next day (yesterday), but the damaged part will be closed for a week for repairs.
seavisionburma and lsquare like this.
bpe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.