Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing beer into Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by transpac
In Laos?

Here in Thailand one single importer takes old stock form Laos, then it sits around in blazingly hot warehouses and trucks where it cooks. There is no correlation between here turnover, volume and freshness, when it comes to Beer Lao, as it comes into Thailand already months old.

In Laos, especially in cans, it can be pretty good, if fresh.
No, in Bangkok. I'm not arguing with you about the age. I've never had reason to check it. It must age well though, because I and a LOT of others like it and drink it in BKK. I have not yet been to Laos, and therefore have not tried 'fresh' Beer Lao. I'm looking forward to doing that soon.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by transpac
FWIW, Beer Lao sucks in Thailand as it is usually ~ nine months old (per the bottling date), and is so far "off" as to be undrinkable.
Have you tried Beer Lao in the USA? I wonder how that compares freshness-wise. I thought it was alright when I drank it, but I did have to wash off the bottles as they had a thick covering of dust on them. That was in Phoenix earlier this year.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It must age well though, because I and a LOT of others like it and drink it in BKK.
Beer is a bit like bread, and not at all like fine wine or even distilled liquor, in that it does not "age well", save for some higher-alcohol ales, aged under temperature-control.

Beer Lao is popular here in Thailand with foreigners with whom it apparently has some sort of mystical cachet. A neighbor, who owns several bars in the Bangkok tourists areas, says that he is always amazed that people drink such old, bad, stale, "cooked" beer, and then rave about it. And he charges a premium for it!
Old May 27, 2022, 3:40 pm

Hi All! Thanks in advance for your help! I've learned so much from Flyertalk for many many years now! (I had to create a new log in recently, as I could not log in to my old one and it said my email didn't exist, anyway...)

Beer isn't my question, but this seemed like the closest thread.

I understand the limit for Thailand for wine is 1 liter (wine, beer, liquor).

So the limit would be 3 liter for 3 people, right? Now, the question with wine is, the bottles are generally 750 ml per bottle. So, can the 3 of us bring in 4 bottles of wine (each 750 ml). Or are we limited to one bottle each, even though they are only 750ml bottles?

Thanks again!
Old May 27, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by DFW1003
Hi All! Thanks in advance for your help! I've learned so much from Flyertalk for many many years now! (I had to create a new log in recently, as I could not log in to my old one and it said my email didn't exist, anyway...)

So the limit would be 3 liter for 3 people, right? Now, the question with wine is, the bottles are generally 750 ml per bottle. So, can the 3 of us bring in 4 bottles of wine (each 750 ml). Or are we limited to one bottle each, even though they are only 750ml bottles?

Thanks again!
Don;t look at the allowance as a group. Several years ago a small group had a liter per person however one person carried all bottles, said person was confronted and hassled. The authorities didn't care that the group didn't have more than 1L per person, they only cared that one person had more than 1L.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Don;t look at the allowance as a group. Several years ago a small group had a liter per person however one person carried all bottles, said person was confronted and hassled. The authorities didn't care that the group didn't have more than 1L per person, they only cared that one person had more than 1L.
that's of course a very odd case and a behavior, that calls for troubles...

however if you are a group of 3 and keep the 4 bottles on your joined pushcart with all your suitcases (or spread on two), it is very unlikely that any custom officer will mind
Old May 28, 2022, 6:49 am

Thanks for your replies. I called the Thai consulate in Los Angeles, and the rep told me she believed 4 bottles should be OK based on Thailand's custom's website. She believes it should be based on the total for the group. However, she understood my concern with not wanting to deal with any issues, so she provided an email for me to contact Thailand's Customs department directly to confirm what she told me is correct. Hopefully a representative from Thailand's Customs will confirm the information soon, and then I'll have a copy of it so I can at least show them if there are any issues. Fingers crossed!!
Old May 28, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
that's of course a very odd case and a behavior, that calls for troubles...

however if you are a group of 3 and keep the 4 bottles on your joined pushcart with all your suitcases (or spread on two), it is very unlikely that any custom officer will mind
And yet completely par for the course when dealing with regulations and authorities in Thailand.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:31 am

Thanks for your replies. I called the Thai consulate in Los Angeles, and the rep told me she believed 4 bottles should be OK based on Thailand's custom's website. She believes it should be based on the total for the group. However, she understood my concern with not wanting to deal with any issues, so she provided an email for me to contact Thailand's Customs department directly to confirm what she told me is correct. Hopefully a representative from Thailand's Customs will confirm the information soon, and then I'll have a copy of it so I can at least show them if there are any issues. Fingers crossed!!
I doubt or even bet, that you will not get an answer...

why is this bottle of beer so important for you? many foreign brands available in Thailand....
Old May 29, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Thanks again!
I doubt or even bet, that you will not get an answer...

why is this bottle of beer so important for you? many foreign brands available in Thailand....
Old May 29, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
beer, wine, whisky or whatever...it does not change the approach and the conclusion...
Old May 29, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
beer, wine, whisky or whatever...it does not change the approach and the conclusion...

Of course it does.

A high end bottle of wine is outrageously priced in Thailand.....bringing in four bottles of your own wine without paying the exorbitant Thailand tax on wine would amount to significant cost savings over the same situation involving four bottles of beer. (eyeroll right back at you)
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Of course it does.

A high end bottle of wine is outrageously priced in Thailand.....bringing in four bottles of your own wine without paying the exorbitant Thailand tax on wine would amount to significant cost savings over the same situation involving four bottles of beer. (eyeroll right back at you)
so what do YOU call a high end bottle of wine that you would like to bring all the way to Thailand?
of course the cost savings increase according to the price difference of the same product between two countries but approach and conclusion remains the same...
Old May 30, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
It is possible to buy fine wine in Thailand at prices not hugely more than the same wines would cost in the UK.

There's a company with a few outlets in Bangkok, including one at The Oriental, and a newly opened branch in Phuket, whose mailing list I seem to have got myself on, and I'm always quite surprised how 'reasonable' the prices seem.

If you're wanting to drink fine wine in Thailand but not wanting to bring it with you (with all of the attendant risks that involves) they'd be worth checking out.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
It is possible to buy fine wine in Thailand at prices not hugely more than the same wines would cost in the UK.

There's a company with a few outlets in Bangkok, including one at The Oriental, and a newly opened branch in Phuket, whose mailing list I seem to have got myself on, and I'm always quite surprised how 'reasonable' the prices seem.

If you're wanting to drink fine wine in Thailand but not wanting to bring it with you (with all of the attendant risks that involves) they'd be worth checking out.
which company are you referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.