FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Bringing beer into Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1522157-bringing-beer-into-thailand.html)

tmac100 Nov 16, 2013 8:04 am

Bringing beer into Thailand

A friend will fly into BKK for a visit with me. How much beer can she bring in her checked luggage according to Thai customs regs? No need to flame me about the beer as it is NOT available in Thailand. :D

I have done Google searches but have conflicting answers. THUS is there an official website link? i have not found it (yet). TIA.

aBroadAbroad Nov 16, 2013 8:22 am

One liter alcohol per pax.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/con...llowancerelief

EmailKid Nov 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 21795141)
No need to flame me about the beer as it is NOT available in Thailand. :D

Not a flame, but I'm very curious about what beer you crave so much. I find Heineken quite acceptable, and I've even been known to accept Chang ;)

And I am Czech, with Czech Republic #1 country in the world for beer (ya, ya, some will quibble). The now generic term Pilsner originally came from Pilsen (Plzeň) in Czech Republic @:-)

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad (Post 21795193)

Wow, that is very, very stingy in that they don't differentiate between hard alcohol and beer :eek: :td:

dsquared37 Nov 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 21797285)
Not a flame, but I'm very curious about what beer you crave so much. I find Heineken quite acceptable, and I've even been known to accept Chang ;)

For admitting you drink Chang you should be flamed. :p

EmailKid Nov 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 21797312)
For admitting you drink Chang you should be flamed. :p

You are right, flame away :D

skibum7732 Nov 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Beer is pretty cheap in Thailand so not much of a need to bring any with you.

I agree about the Chang...nasty beer. Give me a Leo any day and I am a happy man. Be back in less than 2 weeks for 3.5 weeks of pounding my Leo's every day. Wish more bars in Bangkok had Leo though, but almost ever bar that I frequent in Pattaya has it thankfully...much better than Chang

tmac100 Nov 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732 (Post 21797837)

I agree about the Chang...nasty beer. Give me a Leo any day and I am a happy man. Be back in less than 2 weeks for 3.5 weeks of pounding my Leo's every day. Wish more bars in Bangkok had Leo though, but almost ever bar that I frequent in Pattaya has it thankfully...much better than Chang

FWIW, my friend's family name is "Bishop" and there will be a family reunion and wedding in Australia in early January. In the Dubai area where we live, there is a British beer called "Bishop's Finger", that frankly is OK, but we would not walk across the sand dunes specifically for it - or anything else except water. That said, she wants to take some when she flies into Australia. Since it is not available in duty-free at DXB, she will put bottles packed into her suitcase.

I offered to bring more into Australia when I go there to meet her - IF she could bring some "extra" into Thailand when she comes for a visit at the end of the month. She will return to DXB and and then fly DXB-MEL in late December with her supply for the family.

Hence the question about how much she can bring into BKK when she flies in.

Now you know "the rest of the story" :D

braslvr Nov 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Beer Lao is my first choice in Thailand, and seems to be becoming more readily available. Otherwise, I alternate pretty equally between Singha and Heineken. Never EVER Chang or Leo.

transpac Nov 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Thai duty-free is one liter for alcohol. Same same for beer, wine, liquor, Lao Khao.

Personally I wouldn't exceed this limit. Thai Excise officials - outside of Customs - can be very "demanding".

And no, you cannot bring more in and declare it, and possibly pay duty.

Believe Australia is 2.25 liters. And that you can find this "Kentish Strong Ale" in Australia.

http://www.aclandcellars.com.au/beer...ps-finger-beer

http://www.purvisbeer.com.au/beer/Sh...ops-Finger-Ale

and a gazillion other shops.

FWIW, Beer Lao sucks in Thailand as it is usually ~ nine months old (per the bottling date), and is so far "off" as to be undrinkable. Chang (original?) is pretty bad, but Chang Export is acceptable, as is Sing(ha), assuming a recent - 2 weeks- bottling date.

Czech Republic #1 country in the world for beer
Lager? Yes. Ale? Definitely No.

dsquared37 Nov 17, 2013 1:06 am

Give me a Leo any day and I am a happy man.

^

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 21798292)
FWIW, Beer Lao sucks in Thailand as it is usually ~ nine months old (per the bottling date), and is so far "off" as to be undrinkable. Chang (original?) is pretty bad, but Chang Export is acceptable, as is Sing(ha), assuming a recent - 2 weeks- bottling date.

Agree on all including Chang Export (based upon my one foray). Singha is a distant second for my beer of choice. I get nasty hangovers after just a few Singha.

EmailKid Nov 17, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 21798186)
Beer Lao is my first choice in Thailand, and seems to be becoming more readily available. Otherwise, I alternate pretty equally between Singha and Heineken. Never EVER Chang or Leo.

Yes, of course, had a brain fart - I was thinking of Singha :rolleyes:

Even heard about Beer Lao on the radio here in the states, will have to make an effort to try it, even out of date.

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 21798292)
Lager? Yes. Ale? Definitely No.

Well, that's what we drink. Though I've been known to tip a pint of ale as well.

braslvr Nov 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 21799871)

Even heard about Beer Lao on the radio here in the states, will have to make an effort to try it, even out of date.

I don't think I've had a stale one yet, but the places where I drink them appear to go through a pretty high volume.

transpac Nov 17, 2013 8:56 pm

the places where I drink them appear to go through a pretty high volume
In Laos?

Here in Thailand one single importer takes old stock form Laos, then it sits around in blazingly hot warehouses and trucks where it cooks. There is no correlation between here turnover, volume and freshness, when it comes to Beer Lao, as it comes into Thailand already months old.

In Laos, especially in cans, it can be pretty good, if fresh.

MrHalliday Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Many years ago, coming back from REP/PNH into BKK
for a few days before going home TPAC,
I brought a case of Angkor cans in my duffle.

I didn't declare it, was willing to lose it in transit,
and it was mildly amusing for friends at home.

OK, if you have been watching
a lot of "Locked Up Abroad",
you may not wish to do this.
I probably wouldn't do it again either. :)

dsquared37 Nov 18, 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 21803321)

In Laos, especially in cans, it can be pretty good, if fresh.

Nothing beats bia sot. Even my wife enjoys Beer Lao on tap.

Originally Posted by MrHalliday (Post 21803375)
Many years ago, coming back from REP/PNH into BKK
for a few days before going home TPAC,
I brought a case of Angkor cans in my duffle.

I didn't declare it, was willing to lose it in transit,
and it was mildly amusing for friends at home.

OK, if you have been watching
a lot of "Locked Up Abroad",
you may not wish to do this.
I probably wouldn't do it again either. :)

If you were caught with the beer most certainly you would have refused to pay a bribe and the customs officials would have been happy to take the beer off your hands. SImple outcome.