Tiger Temple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tiger Temple

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger...

Illegal wildlife traffickers at “Tiger Temple” to receive legal zoo permit

Thailand – 20th April 2016 – The infamous Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi, Thailand has been granted an official zoo permit from the Thai authorities, signed by the director-general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) this week.

http://www.wfft.org/tigers/illegal-w...al-zoo-permit/
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: most of them
You pay the right people the right amount and you can get away with just about anything.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
Tiger temple

I was in Thailand last month but I didn't go to the Tiger Temple this time but I have gone in the past.

1. I read an article in a Thai newspaper that said the temple was giving up about 90 of the Tigers to different places but they still had plenty to show the tourists.

2. It is my understanding that the Tigers are there because they have been rescued from injuries or poachers. From my observation they are treated well although I will say that the Tigers you pet are chained to avoid injuries. I do not know how long they are chained.

3. As to getting there, NEVER buy a package from a hotel unless you want to get taken and relieved of excess cash. You can get the very same trip from venders for half the price. When you buy from the hotel, they get a 50% mark-up. There are several tour vendors along the river which is what you should be taking if you are getting around Bangkok.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Jimster

2. It is my understanding that the Tigers are there because they have been rescued from injuries or poachers.
I find this dubious at best.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
Temple

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I find this dubious at best.
It is run by monks after all and as I said they did give away 90 of them recently. When were you there?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is run by monks after all and as I said they did give away 90 of them recently. When were you there?
Meh.

The "authorities" did remove 10 out of 147 animals (maybe a mix incl. bears), but now the "authorities" will allow the "zoo" to buy them back.

And it will be "run" by a disciple, as having monks/temple run it "looks bad".

The big money is made harvesting the tigers and bears for their valuable bits, pieces and parts. The revenue made on entrance fees is just gravy.

Activist to Sue Over Tiger Temple Zoo Permit

Saiyood added that the zoo will be registered under a separate private enterprise, called Tiger Temple Co., to stave off any potential backlash from religious authorities.

“The bureaucracy doesn’t want the temple involved in this because it would look bad,” Saiyood said.

Asked who will head the company, the lawyer said Tiger Temple abbot Phra Wisutthisarathen will appoint a disciple to head the enterprise.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...sid=1461569706
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Ah yes, the venerable 'monks'. Have you noticed the well publicized investigations of monks recently? Your belief that donning a robe somehow imparts an honorable cloak on activities is unfortunate.

I have never been there nor will I. Elephants and tigers are not pets/tourist attractions in my world view.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Elephants and tigers are not pets/tourist attractions in my world view

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Ah yes, the venerable 'monks'. Have you noticed the well publicized investigations of monks recently? Your belief that donning a robe somehow imparts an honorable cloak on activities is unfortunate.

I have never been there nor will I. Elephants and tigers are not pets/tourist attractions in my world view.
Agreed.

When the National airline, THAI, advises tourists that love/care for animals not to engage on activities in Thailand with wild life, under organizations/monks that claim to be protecting them but in fact are just exploring them ... I find very amusing that some people/farangs believe to know better and claim the whole plot to be clean and honorable.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Pol Colonel Supitpong Phakjarung, vice chair of the Wat Pa Luangta Maha Bua Yannasampanno Foundation and managing director of |Tiger Temple Company Ltd, said yesterday DNP chief Thanya Netithammakun had agreed to the company's request for a zoo licence last Tuesday."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30284690.html

I missed the part where the managing director of the new Tiger Temple Company is a Colonel in the Royal Thai Police. Now it all makes sense.

Department defends Tiger Temple Co licence

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation insists the granting of a zoo licence to the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi province was done legally under the proper regulations. Adisorn...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ple-co-licence
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
I missed the part where the managing director of the new Tiger Temple Company is a Colonel in the Royal Thai Police. Now it all makes sense.

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation insists the granting of a zoo licence to the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi province was done legally under the proper regulations.
Naturally. Given the first I would expect the second.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zoo permit for Tiger Temple merits our disgust, outrage

Special to The Nation May 5, 2016 1:00 am

Wildlife trafficking at Wat Pa Luangta Maha Bua in Kanchaburi has now received an official seal of approval

The infamous Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi has been granted an official zoo permit by Thai authorities, signed by the director-general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP).

We at the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) are shocked and disgusted by this latest development of an ongoing sickening drama that has continued for so many years.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opin...-30285306.html
Old May 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whistleblower faces down threats in tiger temple cat fight

"The next time I see you I'm going to beat your face," read one of the private Facebook messages. They were being sent by dek wat -- temple boys -- from Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno in Kanchanaburi,...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...mple-cat-fight
Old May 25, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Angry

Originally Posted by transpac
Zoo permit for Tiger Temple merits our disgust, outrage

Special to The Nation May 5, 2016 1:00 am

We at the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) are shocked and disgusted by this latest development of an ongoing sickening drama that has continued for so many years.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opin...-30285306.html

What's the outrage here? It's OK to raise chickens, pigs, and cows for meat. It's morally acceptable to raise snakes and crocodiles for their skins. But we're not supposed to raise tigers for humans to take selfies with? And if the odd cat ends up making tiger penis soup, what's the difference when compared to more "traditional" types of farming, or even the new fangled farming of elk/bison/deer in North America?
Old May 28, 2016, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More tigers to be moved from temple on Monday

KANCHANABURI - The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation intends to start relocating more tigers from the famous Tiger Temple on Monday despite the objections of temple officials. The...

All of the tigers at the temple are supposed to have microchips implanted in them. However, it was revealed last year that the microchips had been cut out of the three adult males that disappeared in December...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...oved-on-monday
Old May 28, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would make a great Thai soap opera...

Tigers to move from temple tomorrow to a new home: governor

ALL 137 tigers at Wat Pa Luang Ta Mahabua, better known as the ‘Tiger Temple’, in Kanchanaburi’s Saiyok district will be moved to a new home tomorrow (May 30), provincial governor Sak Somboonto said yesterday.

Sak spoke after a meeting at City Hall with the officials from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation's Protected Area Regional Office 3 (Ban Pong) to prepare transport for the tigers.

Sak said the transfer was necessary given reports that the temple is in process of applying for a permit to build a zoo, and has asked to keep 70 tigers. He affirmed that procedures would be in line with the law, so there should be no problem.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30286928.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.