BKK airport hotels or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK airport hotels or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Since my first visit in 1977 and I visit couple of times a year for biz, 95% of time I had to insist on the meter....it usually goes like this:

1. Tell dispatcher my hotel, next to xxxx. He writes it down and hands to taxi
2. I carry my own bag and drop in front seat, hop in and usually make some calls.
3. As we pull out, I have to remind driver to turn on the meter. He plays dumb. I repeat my request politely with a thank you. He says B500. I say, stop the taxi and return me to the airport. He reluctantly turns the meter on. I say take highway, to Rama IX Rd and turn onto Ekamai. He gets the message....I'm not a dumb tourist!

So I guess I'm just unlucky!
Do you speak any Thai ? I didn't have a problem before I knew any though.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I've stayed at the Convenient Park at $15 near the airport and it worked fine under those curcumstances. With more time I'd say u could go into town, but it appears u can't do much more than sleep anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:56 am

Will arrive sunday 7pm at BKK Airport and want to take the first bus to Koh Mak in the next morning. After three weeks in Laos I would prefer a comfortable hotel for the night and may also need a supermarket before I head to the island.
Don't think its a good idea to get into the city for this short time and the bus 999, which serve Ekamai to Laem Ngop, will also stop at the airport transportation center. Which airport hotel should I choose, where can I find a 7/11 in the near and some restaurants? Don't want to stay in the Novotel.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have stayed at Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi which is a 10 min ride from the airport. Take a taxi or the hotel shuttle bus. I paid around USD 25 on Agoda incl. airport transfer and breakfast; highly recommendable.

Near the hotel are restaurants and (as far as I recall) a convenience store.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:11 pm

Novotel is down to around 3000B w/thw Accor 40% off sale. LINK:http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promot...11-&xtor=AL-40
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
short overnight layover in BKK

I arrive at BKK in Thai First at 1:20 A.M. then continue on to CNX (Chiang Mai) at 8:00A.M. in business class. Any suggestions about what I should do for the 6 hr 40 minute layover? I will have lounge access, but the lounges won't be open until 5:00A.M. I'm assuming the transit hotels are in the international terminal, which I probably won't have access to.

Is there a decent place at the airport where I would be able to hang out until 5:00? Or would my best bet by to go to a nearby hotel for a couple of hours?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You could get a day room at Louis Tavern inside Suvarnabhumi international, though I'm not quite sure how that would work when moving to the domestic terminal.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
You could get a day room at Louis Tavern inside Suvarnabhumi international, though I'm not quite sure how that would work when moving to the domestic terminal.
Yeah I had thought of that, but I'm concerned I won't have access to it. I can't find information about that online.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by jake66
Yeah I had thought of that, but I'm concerned I won't have access to it. I can't find information about that online.
You would need to pay for entry.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
You would need to pay for entry.
I guess I didn't word my concern clearly. What I meant is that I don't know if I can get access to the RESTRICTED AREA of International Departure Hall, Level 4, Concourse G, where the lounge is located. I would assume that since I have a domestic connection, I'll have to go through customs/immigration immediately after I land. Is it possible for someone with a domestic connection to get into the international departure hall?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jake66
I guess I didn't word my concern clearly. What I meant is that I don't know if I can get access to the RESTRICTED AREA of International Departure Hall, Level 4, Concourse G, where the lounge is located. I would assume that since I have a domestic connection, I'll have to go through customs/immigration immediately after I land. Is it possible for someone with a domestic connection to get into the international departure hall?
Generally there are ways to do so but at 1:20AM Im not so sure they would work. And without an onward BP I'm not sure what the LT lounge would do in regards to entry.

The domestic area will be nothing but crickets at that time and the transfer immigration is unlikely to be open as well.

My recommendation is to find a hotel nearby and try to get a few hours of sleep before heading back to the airport.

Also, you might as well collect your luggage in BKK unless is heavy and unweildly and you'd prefer to get it in CNX.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Generally there are ways to do so but at 1:20AM Im not so sure they would work. And without an onward BP I'm not sure what the LT lounge would do in regards to entry.

The domestic area will be nothing but crickets at that time and the transfer immigration is unlikely to be open as well.

My recommendation is to find a hotel nearby and try to get a few hours of sleep before heading back to the airport.

Also, you might as well collect your luggage in BKK unless is heavy and unweildly and you'd prefer to get it in CNX.
Thanks. I did some searches and there are a few hotels with free internet in the area for under $25/night. So I think I'll get my luggage and head to a nearby hotel for a few hours.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:37 am

The Louis Tavern HOTEL is outside security; the Louis Tavern LOUNGE is inside security.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:48 pm

The Great Residence wasn't so far away, but the staff wasn't nice and they offered me a girl for the night. They charge 150THB for a one way airport transfer. If you walk to the corner where the restaurants are, there are white airport vans which will bring you to the airport for just 10THB. Mostly used by airport stuff.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 31570324
The Great Residence wasn't so far away, but the staff wasn't nice and they offered me a girl for the night. They charge 150THB for a one way airport transfer.
I've stayed there many times and I never got this offer. I'll ask in a week when I am there.

Anyway, you can book a reservation on the Great Residence website (or Agoda, etc.) that include a 2-way transfer. Just 2-3 minutes walk down the street are a number of restaurants and small Thai pubs, some of which have some music. I like to get a few drinks and chill at a place called Lullaby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.