Wiki Posts
Search

BKK airport hotels or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
BKK airport hotels or not?

Will arrive around midnight @BKK and fly to HKT at noon next day. We're coming from USA so will sure be very tired, and traveling with a 3 yr old. Should we stay at Novotel or Best Western by the airport? Or go into town & stay with Starwood? We are top elites at all 3 chains, but heard airport hotels don't offer much upgrades (+ Novotel seems overpriced). Not sure if it's worth the trouble leaving airport for a suite upgrade at SPG.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: *A
I stayed at the Novotel for one night and thought it was great. Easy to get to as I am sure you know. I cant comment on any of the others though. It is expensive compared to a lot in BKK, but obviously your paying for the convenience of it being that close.

Sorry not much help. When I travel I usually stay in the lower end hotels so to me the Novotel was nice.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by themadsupra
I stayed at the Novotel for one night and thought it was great. Easy to get to as I am sure you know. I cant comment on any of the others though. It is expensive compared to a lot in BKK, but obviously your paying for the convenience of it being that close.

Sorry not much help. When I travel I usually stay in the lower end hotels so to me the Novotel was nice.
Gotta agree. I usually recommend going into town, but considering your timing and fatigue, I'd do the Novotel.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Nearly all hotels in Lad Krabang have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel (mostly for free) and it just takes 10 minutes from the airport to get there. Plenty of hotels in the 700 THB to 1.500 THB range, with free transfer and free breakfast.

You get what you you pay for, so don't expect high end accomodations, but usually decent to good rooms.

Back in march we stayed at Princess Suvarnabhumi Airport and it was ok for an overnighter. You can find brief review from me here (albeit in german).

You also might take a look at Vismaya or Best Western Amaranth

We also stayed once at Novotel Suvarnabhumi. Imho a decent 3 star hotel that charges rates as a 5 star hotel. Yep, location is very convenient, but that's it, the rest of the hotel is average at best. Wouldn't stay there again, even it would be for free.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by olisch
Wouldn't stay there again, even it would be for free.
Why not, I would. In fact the only times I stay there were complementary of my connecting airlines.

However, with the timing I will still advise putting up at the Novotel. Best Western is by no means BY the airport it's a good 15-20 minutes from the airport.

Last edited by RJ77; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:36 pm

Location: x-17 yr AC*SE100 1MM, now E50 Gold :(, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Yadayadayada
Originally Posted by adamak
Will arrive around midnight @BKK and fly to HKT at noon next day. We're coming from USA so will sure be very tired, and traveling with a 3 yr old. Should we stay at Novotel or Best Western by the airport? Or go into town & stay with Starwood? We are top elites at all 3 chains, but heard airport hotels don't offer much upgrades (+ Novotel seems overpriced). Not sure if it's worth the trouble leaving airport for a suite upgrade at SPG.
Based on your midnight arrival, young child and noon departures (assuming BKK departure and not DMK) i think the Novotel at BKK is the right choice. You will be need to be back at the terminal by 10:45a at the latest so just focus on getting some rest and a bit of recovery before your run to HKT.

That being said I hope you have a few days after Phuket to enjoy Bangkok, it's a city that needs some time to explore!

Enjoy!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
We've done this trip several times and we have stayed at cheap hotels near the airport (30-40 usd) and also in Bangkok (50+ usd +taxis) but never at the Novotel (120-150 usd IIRC) because of the price. But if we were traveling with a 3 yr old on that schedule, we would stay at the Novotel. Just my .02 worth.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by milesk
But if we were traveling with a 3 yr old on that schedule, we would stay at the Novotel. Just my .02 worth.
It usually takes about 10 minutes from Suvarnabhumi Airport to most of the hotels in Ladkrabang. My sons (5 and 2 years old) easily survived the transfer, so my best assumption is that any other kid also will do.

Even as a Le Club Accorhotels Platinum Member I wouldn't return to Novotel at the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
I have stayed at the Novotel many times. I actually think its a great hotel for being at the airport. I know Bangkok hotels as I have stayed at most of the hotels on the river and we will be staying next week at the St. Regis to try something different and the week after at the The Metropolitan by Como. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: -
Airport in the city

Hey guys,

I have a similar question. I'm arriving BKK around 2pm and leave next morning at 7:30am.

I want to go into the city to see it and going straight to a hotel isn't my plan unless someone tells me it's impossible. I made the "stopover" on purpose as part of a ~10 day rtw. I know it's crazy but I've done a similar trip before and enjoyed it.

My question is... is it better to go to the city, see it and stay there? Or is it better to go to the city, come back to an airport hotel, and just stay there so I can be close to airport for my early am flight?

Also, if I do stay in the city, are there any good hotels that have easier access to the airport? How much time would it take to get from the hotels to airport so I can make my 7:30am flight?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I would certainly stay in the city. Gives you a base to drop your bags, stop back at the room to freshen up, whatever. No reason to fight evening traffic to stay at lesser quality hotel by the airport.

Early AM departure should mean little traffic - easy trip back to BKK.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Hey guys,

I have a similar question. I'm arriving BKK around 2pm and leave next morning at 7:30am.
Go into the city, enjoy what you can, stay there and depart for the airport at 4:30/5AM by taxi. The roads will be empty at that time and you won't even need to take the highway if you're comfortable staying on street level roads.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:21 pm

Thank you very much for the help!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
jfkcnf,

First time in a city is always confusing for everyone, thus consider a hotel quite close to a BTS station.

Novotel BKK Ploenchit is next to the BTS Ploen Chit and visible when you get out of the train. Other hotels also might fit the bill. You get the airport express to end of the line / Playa Thaya and then a BTS to your hotel.

Point in case for a new comer, try not to choose a city hotel where you need to walk too much/several blocks as you are not acquainted with the surroundings and the hot/humid weather are awful when carrying bags up/down.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:25 am

Thanks for the tips. Would a taxi/car service not be better though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.