Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grande Sukhumvit or Marriott Sukhumvit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Westin Grande Sukhumvit or Marriott Sukhumvit

I am sure if this will be the correct place to ask this opinion.

I am going to Bangkok end of the month to bring my mom and nephew. It will be 4 adults and 1 kid (10 years old).

Now contemplating to decide between 2 properties. Pricewise is about the same. Marriott is THB3,500++. Westin THB3,950++ (if I insist to get 500 points by booking through mobile apps) or THB3,511++ (if I decide to book through web for pay 2 get 1 free promo and forgo bonus 200 points).

I stayed in Marriott last April but I never stay in Westin, although I had dine in there.

Marriott pros
- new hotel
- as a Gold member I will get room upgrade and lounge access benefit and the lounge is quite good.
- free breakfast in lounge (only for me? or both room?)
- free in room internet (will they extend it to the second room?)

Marriott cons
- location is not as good as Westin
- - I have completed my taste of gold challenge and will be gold until feb 2015. so not much reason for me to clock more nights for this year right?

Westin pro:
- good location near T21 and bts, on the more busy area of sukhumvit
- needs to clock stays and nights to re-qualify as gold and hope to achieve platinum
- double points promo and may be extra 500 points
- welcome gift of 250 points

Westin cons:
- old property
- swimming pool looks weird at least when i saw it from sgs
- no internet (unless i forgone my welcome gift of 250 points, for 1 room or both rooms)
- no free breakfast or lounge access
- price is more expensive (can be marginal THB11 bath or THB450 per nights depend on which rate I go for)

If I stay alone, it will be obvious I will stay at Westin. But since I am travelling with my mom (she is 69) and nephew, I am thinking to stay Westin as it is closer to attraction (Terminal 21 and the street market, Robinson, Time Square, etc).

So any opinion?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

I would stay at the Westin mainly due to the BTS and Subway access.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
You might want to take a look at the Four Points too. I've stayed at it and the Westin, and I would choose it over the Westin. It's at Soi 15 and the Westin is at 19 if I remember correctly so they are real close to each other. In fact, after staying at the Four Points the last two times I don't think I'd stay at the Westin again.

If T21 and BTS are important to you then its hard to beat the Westin though.

Last edited by JDS747; Jun 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by JDS747
You might want to take a look at the Four Points too. I've stayed at it and the Westin, and I would choose it over the Westin. It's at Soi 15 and the Westin is at 19 if I remember correctly so they are real close to each other. In fact, after staying at the Four Points the last two times I don't think I'd stay at the Westin again.

If T21 and BTS are important to you than its hard to beat the Westin though.
Thanks JDS747 and SaigonCylco.

Earlier the rate fourpoint was around THB3,200 range, which make is only slightly cheaper than Westin.

Now I managed to secure it for THB 2,400/night. Definitely go for Fourpoints as the rate differential is huge.

I stayed in Fourpoint before. So I know how it is. Ok hotel if the price is below THB3,000 but I found the towel provided is at low quality for 4 stats hotel.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I would stay at the Westin mainly due to the BTS and Subway access.
Marriott is right at BTS station Thonglor, so from there it's also easy to get around. Plus lot's of shops, massage shops and restaurants in that area.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by olisch
Marriott is right at BTS station Thonglor, so from there it's also easy to get around. Plus lot's of shops, massage shops and restaurants in that area.
The Marriott is nowhere near Thonglor, it's in between Nana and Phloen Chit BTS stations.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
The Marriott is nowhere near Thonglor, it's in between Nana and Phloen Chit BTS stations.
You're wrong ... you are mistaking the new Marriott at Sukhumvit Soi 57 with JW Marriott
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by olisch
There are equally as many shops and restaurants next to the Westin, plus you also have access to the subway.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:27 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The location of the new Marriott on Soi 57 is not bad. The area does have plenty of shops but not really the sort of touristy street shopping that the poster was actually pointing out as a plus of the lower Sukhumvit properties. Also, there is nothing up at Soi 57 which rivals Terminal 21. For the purposes of the OP it does seem that the Westin/FP are better located and at the price he got the FP is a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.