Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by readyforchange
Government should have maintained more control over it.
You ARE kidding, right?
Its good that they are starting to get their act together.
That's even funnier!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And 2014 and the MRT is still not included in the Rabbit Card.

I note the Rabbit Card is still being sold for 50Baht (permanent discount) plus 50 Baht deposit. Seems to save 1 baht on some cash fares, but is more for convenience during peak hours.

Also note that it is possible to load multi-prepaid trips onto the Rabbit Card (but unsure what occurs if you are actually taking shorter trips that are cheaper than the bulk fare)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by moa999

Also note that it is possible to load multi-prepaid trips onto the Rabbit Card (but unsure what occurs if you are actually taking shorter trips that are cheaper than the bulk fare)
If you mean you can load a hundred or two hundred baht onto the card at a time, yes, you can. This is what most people do. The cost of the actual fare is simply deducted from the remaining balance on the card.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you mean you can load a hundred or two hundred baht onto the card at a time, yes, you can. This is what most people do. The cost of the actual fare is simply deducted from the remaining balance on the card.
You can also load a specific number of trips. Each time you use it you use one trip no matter how far you travel. it is very good value if you tend to do longer journeys but very bad value if you normally just go one or two stops
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The 30-day BTS SmartPass ("Trip") cards have a 30 day expiry (use it or lose it) and are really meant for daily commuters. They can/do represent a significant discount (22 - 27 baht per trip), depending on the length of your journey, but they do come with the trade-off of expiring.

Stored value cards are good for 5 years.

Depending on your plans, you can mix/match two cards; one stored value and one trip, but you'll need to manage your usage.

AFAIK, the Rabbit card has still not been integrated into the MRT, and I haven't heard any new news regarding integration. At some point though, they will have to be integrated as, for example, the MRT/BMPCL will operate the Sukhumvit Line "skytrain" extension from Bearing to Samut Prakan, and I hope we will not have to change trains/exit-enter at Bearing?

And the SARL has their own stored value card, of course.

Last edited by transpac; Oct 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lobster
You can also load a specific number of trips. Each time you use it you use one trip no matter how far you travel. it is very good value if you tend to do longer journeys but very bad value if you normally just go one or two stops
That was the point I was making - the multi-pack fares are 25-35baht.

But for tourists (who I suspect are often only travelling a few stations) for those shorter journeys you would be better off on single fares only
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lobster
You can load those onto a Rabbit Card as opposed to other BTS cards?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You can load those onto a Rabbit Card as opposed to other BTS cards?
I think they stopped selling "other BTS cards" 2 years ago when they introduced the Rabbit card, although they could still be in use.

I am fairly certain that you have to choose a specific scheme, either trip or stored value, for a specific card. But, you may have stored value added on to a trip card, this is necessary to cover the surcharge for the extensions, like On Nut - Bearing, and Saphan Taksin - Bang Wa.

This site mentions that the issuing fee for the Rabbit card may be increased from 50 baht to 150 baht, on 1/1/15, although this discount might be continued?

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/16-...to-rabbit.aspx

I searched Thai media/forums for news on Rabbit/MRT integration, and did find reference to a contract being let, maybe last month with a 30 month implementation plan.

AIS (mobile operator) offer an NFC mPay SIM which allows you to pay BTS fares with your phone. http://www.ais.co.th/mpay/aismpayrabbit/index.html

Last edited by transpac; Oct 15, 2014 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
This site mentions that the issuing fee for the Rabbit card may be increased from 50 baht to 150 baht, on 1/1/15, although this discount might be continued?
50 baht issue fee extended to 31/12/15 (unsurprisingly)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:07 am

This has been mentioned elsewhere but it is worth highlighting that the New Common ticketing platform will be rolled out for testing in Sept/Oct this year ready for full implementation on the BTS, MRT (+new Purple Line) and ARL by Oct 2016.

The ticketing platfrmm will also be used for Expressways, all BMTA buses in the future as the fleet is progressively replaced and electronic ticketing introduced and eventually all ferries as well.

Basically, BKK will enter the 90s and have one ticketing system for everything.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Filed under the "believe it when you see it" category...

First Common Ticketing System to be launched in Jan-Feb 2016

BANGKOK, 12 March 2015 (NNT) - The first common ticketing system is expected to be launched in Bangkok on a trial basis in next Jan or Feb, Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said on Thursday.

Prajin said that the Office of Transport Policy and Planning (OTP) has signed a 42-month long contract worth 388 million baht hiring the BSV Group comprising Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, which operates BTS trains, Smart Traffic Co and Vix Mobility Co., to install the common ticketing system.

The system allows easier and faster transit and interchange in the capital which possesses multiple transit modes. Its first phase will cover BTS trains, expressways, BRT and NGV buses, MRT Purple Line (Bang Yai-Bang Sue) and will later be expanded to the rest including the Airport Rail Link, intercity motorways and passenger boats on the Chao Phraya River in 2017-2018. Ticket prices in all transit modes are also expected to be reduced due to the new system.

According to the minister, the Transport Ministry will propose to the cabinet an establishment of a committee to supervise the common ticketing policy. Meanwhile, a private company with 40% of its shares to be owned by the government, will be set up to ensure the efficiency of the clearing house management in revenue collection. Out of the 600-million-baht capital of the company, 244 million baht will be spent on the development of interchange facilities.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...O5803130010001
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:36 am

At least the contract has gone to the existing BTS consortium... but then again they promised this about Rabbit in 2012.

Mind you with only a US$7.5m spend on interchange its not changing much.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by transpac
Filed under the "believe it when you see it" category...

First Common Ticketing System to be launched in Jan-Feb 2016
Yup, I am a subscriber to the "believe it when you see it" club too.

Been waiting far too long, and every announcement of a 'roll out' or 'ready by X' has passed without anything happening.
That being said, I will be a very happy user if it comes about, as I currently have Rabbit, MRT, and ARL cards in my possession

For the bus system to be added - I think this is a looong way off, knowing how the current fare collection system on buses works in Bangkok.

Rabbit has been handy though since I got it 3 years ago. Good for use at outlets outside the BTS, and great rewards/discounts on offer at the BTS booths
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:40 am

Rabbit and Line tie-up

Reviving old thread rather than starting new one. Read this article and wonder if the resident experts have any additional insight since the announcement of Line Pay tying up with Rabbit?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/gadg...rabbit-on-line
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Must have stopped the implementation on MRT. Took a round trip ride in early February and was surprised to find that you had to buy either the MRT RFID token or card. No Rabbit accepted (or at least ours weren't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.