Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott in Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA / DL / MB
Marriott in Phuket

What's the best Marriott property on Phuket for a couple celebrating their honeymoon? Think in terms of location to the beach, local attractions, best portions of the island, etc.

Also, what activities/sights are a must when there?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Was recently at the JW Marriott Khao Lak.

Avoid at all costs! The pictures are really misleading and the Management doesn't give a hoot.

We ended up checking out 3 hours into our stay and flew back to Bangkok.

I am 100% sure that there are many fantastic hotels in Phuket, but the JW Khao Lak is simply not one of them.

Have a great honeymoon and congrats!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:59 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bsb21
Was recently at the JW Marriott Khao Lak.

Avoid at all costs! The pictures are really misleading and the Management doesn't give a hoot.

We ended up checking out 3 hours into our stay and flew back to Bangkok.
What specifically was wrong with the JW Khao Lak? That property (as well as the other JW in Phuket) generally get good reviews (for example, on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-khao-lak.html)
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
The Rennaisance Phuket is fantastic! Upgrades! Great service! See the thread on Marriott's board. I don't know how to link. It also discussed the JW Phuket.
I will avoid the JW Phuket at all costs from now on. The property is beautiful. The management could care less about the customers. The Ren is right down the street and does care about the paying customers.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
The pool is very tiny at the Ren. Only worth imho if you get a pool villa. JWKL definately the better choice imo
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
I somewhat agree.
JW Khao Lak has many issues with maintenance and wear and tear. Staff are all very pleasant but seem overworked and so mistakes are made and things are forgotten.
For example, on my last (return) visit last month, our balcony had peeling paint all over it, a huge water stain on the wall, water stains on the cushions, the wooden furniture out there had very peeled and faded varnish - so looked very old. Area railings are peeled, paint on walls is faded, stained, peeling. Bathroom door repeatedly jammed. No bin in the bathroom. Lots of problems with service in a crowded and very noisy main restaurant. Broken planks on main restaurant decking that were frankly dangerous.
That said, grounds are very well maintained and attractive. It's spacious.
F&B is limited - Mediterranean, Thai or Japanese all with limited menus, that's it. And on some nights one of those restaurants is closed so you have only 2 choices. There are cheap beach hut restaurants next door but no other choices in walking distance.
Basically, if you can get a very discounted rate it is a decent choice for the lovely beach and spaciousness, but only for a few days. It's not 5*.
Renaissance Phuket is lovely, very modern and striking with fantastic staff and great F&B, with the option to go to other hotels along the beach in the evening and to shop at Turtle Village, taken by their golf buggy. While rooms are big enough and have an attractive bright design, they have only a view of the grounds and are not 5* luxurious. That said, I'm back again next week because I love it. The villas are fabulous but don't offer twin beds, so I can't have one with my colleague unfortunately.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Stayed at jw Phuket for honeymoon this year and loved it. Got very cheap upgrade to ocean view suite (they only had 4 pool suites). Food selection was very good, fun cooking school and many other activities.
It is far from patong, but that is a good thing in my opinion.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trastevere
What's the best Marriott property on Phuket for a couple celebrating their honeymoon? Think in terms of location to the beach, local attractions, best portions of the island, etc.

Thanks.
JW or REN. I prefer the JW as it is on a nicer stretch of the beach (IMHO) and also has 3 large pools vs. 1 smallish at the REN.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
I'd like to try to inquire about possible upgrades, make Mrs. Mack's much needed vacation a little more pleasant. Would someone be able to PM me the email contacts of the property GM at the JW Khao Lak and the Ren? Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
..., make Mrs. Mack's much needed vacation a little more pleasant. ...
Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but forget about the Marriott hotels and book an Oceanfront Pool Villa at Le Meridien Khao Lak.

Definately a perfect place for your wife (and maybe you) to relax and enjoy your vacations.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Have only heard good things about this place and was on my list of places to hit until I had a really ugly snafu at a Westin early in the year, soured me enough to drop all Starwood stays for this year.

Originally Posted by olisch
Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but forget about the Marriott hotels and book an Oceanfront Pool Villa at Le Meridien Khao Lak.

Definately a perfect place for your wife (and maybe you) to relax and enjoy your vacations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.