FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott in Phuket
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:26 pm
aphro

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
I somewhat agree.
JW Khao Lak has many issues with maintenance and wear and tear. Staff are all very pleasant but seem overworked and so mistakes are made and things are forgotten.
For example, on my last (return) visit last month, our balcony had peeling paint all over it, a huge water stain on the wall, water stains on the cushions, the wooden furniture out there had very peeled and faded varnish - so looked very old. Area railings are peeled, paint on walls is faded, stained, peeling. Bathroom door repeatedly jammed. No bin in the bathroom. Lots of problems with service in a crowded and very noisy main restaurant. Broken planks on main restaurant decking that were frankly dangerous.
That said, grounds are very well maintained and attractive. It's spacious.
F&B is limited - Mediterranean, Thai or Japanese all with limited menus, that's it. And on some nights one of those restaurants is closed so you have only 2 choices. There are cheap beach hut restaurants next door but no other choices in walking distance.
Basically, if you can get a very discounted rate it is a decent choice for the lovely beach and spaciousness, but only for a few days. It's not 5*.
Renaissance Phuket is lovely, very modern and striking with fantastic staff and great F&B, with the option to go to other hotels along the beach in the evening and to shop at Turtle Village, taken by their golf buggy. While rooms are big enough and have an attractive bright design, they have only a view of the grounds and are not 5* luxurious. That said, I'm back again next week because I love it. The villas are fabulous but don't offer twin beds, so I can't have one with my colleague unfortunately.