Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Any Experience with personal guides in Thailand ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood Gold
All suggestions welcome![/QUOTE]

My wife and I were in BKK for 5 days in October. One day with a personal guide - very helpful to get oriented and see many of the major sights.
If in the Siam Sq area we can recommend Ban Khun Mae restaurant, 458/7-9 Siam Sq., Soi 8, Pratunam - not expensive, but excellent food, some entertainment.
Also we just loved the Salathip restaurant on the river at the Shangri La hotel, outstanding in every respect. Somewhat more expensive but not by US standards.
One day we took a tour out to the Summer Palalce and the ruins at Ayutthaya, coming back on the river, we enjoyed this day a great deal. Enjoyed the Jim Thompson house and shopping at the River Center next to the Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel. Enjoy!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*
No response from tour guide

Well, Jan has been unresponsive for the last few weeks and is not answering her phone so its pretty dissapoinint that we might have to cancel our tour with her. I have just sent an email to Tour with Tong but based on the responses here and the reviews I do not know if they will contact us before we arrive in BKK.

I figure I will try the Be Tours people once I reach and hope they have a spot free for us.

thank you all again for your responses!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
I was in Phuket last year and we hired a driver for one of the days we were there. We gave him a list and he took us where we wanted to go and we pre-arranged him to take us to the airport too. If you want his info, let me know. He was very nice and very knowledgable too.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by aterug
Well, Jan has been unresponsive for the last few weeks and is not answering her phone so its pretty dissapoinint that we might have to cancel our tour with her. I have just sent an email to Tour with Tong but based on the responses here and the reviews I do not know if they will contact us before we arrive in BKK.

I figure I will try the Be Tours people once I reach and hope they have a spot free for us.

thank you all again for your responses!
well, it is high season and freelance guides can end up being very busy. that doesn't excuse a complete lack of communication, but most of these folks are 1-person operations. If she's out on a tour somewhere without easy access to communication systems that may be the problem. If you have confirmed plans with her though you might not need to worry too much.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
well, it is high season and freelance guides can end up being very busy. that doesn't excuse a complete lack of communication, but most of these folks are 1-person operations. If she's out on a tour somewhere without easy access to communication systems that may be the problem. If you have confirmed plans with her though you might not need to worry too much.
As it turns out, Jan is out of the tour guide biz for a while, apparently she runs a shop whose management team walked out so now she has to drop this and take care of it. We called tong and she sent over a freelancer who was ok enough but did not give us the exp. we were looking for. We will be heading out on our own now for the last two days in bkk.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Sorry to hear Jan wasn't able to take care of you, aterug. Hope the rest of your trip turns out ok.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konoyaro
Sorry to hear Jan wasn't able to take care of you, aterug. Hope the rest of your trip turns out ok.
It turned out well, we got in a few massages, shopping at the MBK, ate out on the streets almost all the time without getting sick, went to the airport using the train and back, not too shabby.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD

A friend of mine is heading to Thailand in a week and the guide she had arranged bailed out. Any recommendations for a Bangkok guide, perhaps one that can drive them as well? Thanks in advance for any input
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
We have used a lovely young woman called Gift-in fact going with her on a tour of private gardens in Bangkok tomorrow.We have her services plus car and driver.
http://privatetourthailand.com/
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
My wife and I are in Bangkok for 8 hours on the 23rd. Would you recommend this guide for such a short time? What does she charge.? Thank you
If someone else has anyone they can recommend for us we would appreciate it.
Thank you
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by drron
We have used a lovely young woman called Gift-in fact going with her on a tour of private gardens in Bangkok tomorrow.We have her services plus car and driver.
http://privatetourthailand.com/
I successfully reached out to Gift this week via e-mail to arrange her guide services for a trip we have planned this June. She was quick to respond with her proposal.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Wife and I were in Thailand over the Holidays. We booked full day city tour with Tour with Tong. Full day tour was 1,500 baht ($50 US) and private boat ride was 900 baht ($30 US). We did the Temples, 1 hour long tail boat ride of the river, and about an hour in the markets. Our guide, Chai, was excellent. Definitely recommend him!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canesfan
Wife and I were in Thailand over the Holidays. We booked full day city tour with Tour with Tong. Full day tour was 1,500 baht ($50 US) and private boat ride was 900 baht ($30 US). We did the Temples, 1 hour long tail boat ride of the river, and about an hour in the markets. Our guide, Chai, was excellent. Definitely recommend him!
Mods - please delete this, duplicate post by accident

Last edited by canesfan; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I use Chob Panma. Well, not him as I have never met him, but his guides on four trips in 18 months. Once you get past the canned tours (a few of which are excellent), for 2000 Baht for a full day having someone who knows Bangkok and is bilingual in English and Thai is invaluable. My companion is Thai and she really enjoys the tours and the history and of course she is completely enamored by the wats.

He can be found online and the service and value is unparalleled.

The longtail boat price quoted above for an hour on the klongs and Chao Praya is far too much and a guide should get a price 1/2 or less of that.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thonburi tour ideas

deleted

Last edited by thegrailer; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:43 pm Reason: wrong thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.