Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Thailand... What to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning trip to Thailand... What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Cooler means 85-90F , and still high humidity ,
You will need a couple sets of clothes each day as you will get sweaty ,

There is an exchange booth once you past Immigraion at BKK airport, change $100 or so to get you thru the first day,

If you have a Thai friend she will make it much easier for you,

read the sticky on getting a Taxi at the airport , it should be about 400 haht, make sure you get smaller bills when you exchange your US$,

Power cable - USA one works in all the places I was at, but Thailand is 220v so make sure all your stuff is 110-220v

Hope that helps

Rally
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:12 pm

When in BKK try to take the SkyTrain or MRT (subway) whenever possible. Traffic is terrible
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:23 pm

More Thailand tips

Check out a connection through Seoul Korea. Sometimes it's much cheaper. 3 years ago the ATM fee was $1.25 but when I got home BofA added another $5- on top.

All BKK tours will end with a visit to the Gem Gallery. Be polite but don't buy anything. Everything there is over priced.

Stay near the Skytrain. It's air conditioned and immune to traffic. In Bangkok anything goes except the traffic.

Don't go shopping with cab drivers. They get a kickbacks from the overpriced shops they take you to. Another scam is a "doctor" approaching tourists near the 4 Face Buddha (BTS skytrain -Chit Lom station, near Police Hospital). He tells you there is a special sale happening and wants to send you on a tuk tuk to another very overpriced shop. In general, whenever anyone asks if this is your first trip to Thailand, just say no.

I purchased silk shirts while there and washed them in my shower. They are dry the next morning.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.