Flight loads

Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Flight loads

Going home 2 days ago BKK-FRA.

As to the FA in F the load was 2 F, 12 C and 56 Y pax. Newly config plane holding a total of 375 pax meaning that they flew this bird at 18.67% load at a long-haul .

When I recall that they obviously rolled out the full program with caviar and Dom, at least 12 wasted F meals (2 meals @ 4 choices x 2 pax) and loads of cheese and fruit and full desserts -whole tart-, and all the paid staff I wonder how much they lost on that flight alone .

Don´t get me wrong, I surely was enjoying every minute, but from a farther view... scary.

F.R.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
That was a very poor load indeed. They must have had a full return flight to look forward to. Otherwise it would have made more sense (from a pure business point of view) to cancel the flight and reroute the pax via other European destinations.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:14 pm

Don't forget that air freight makes a large contribution to a flight's bottom line.

That bird could have been packed with time-sensitive cargo going both ways.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, the loads out of Australia at the moment, and up till August 11 are heavy, due mainly to the mid year school breaks. Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand appear to be the preferred destinations. Melbourne airport looks like a holiday beach camp at most times with more surf boards than computer cases. They must not feel the cold, only shorts and tee shirts, and its freezing outside, whatever they are on, I want some, regards bkkrop
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
It would be interesting to know how load factors compare with other airlines offering a superior product or lower prices, or more worringly for Thai BOTH. Then the picture would become clearer.

Surely it must be Thai Airways turn to start offering lower fares such as SIA, and all the other airlines, currently it is the turn of Cathay to offer good deals.

I note that Eva, flying newer 777 with newer interiors and wider biz seats direct from LHR-BKK are offering biz class fares for just over 1,000 pounds, half of the price of Thai and direct.

Thai has at least started to reduce their points liabilty in the get one free or half points for redemption and tickets bought, this is a positive for Thai as will help also to fiill the planes.

Now all they need to do and do what all other airlines are doing and that is lowering fares with meaningful offers not just reducing econonomy ticket prices by the value of miles not given on these very restrictive fares. Do not forget not everyone collects the miles only loyal customers, which surely they want to keep.

Another way is to downgrade the classes, as Qantas has done with first class and Thai on scando routes and sell first class seats at biz prices and biz at premium economy prices which would match others in value. Then you will see the planes full of people who, like me, want to be loyal to Thai and prepared to pay SLIGHTLY higher prices but not double!!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:33 am

Well-as above-holidays here in Europe really have started-all of july usually full planes on about any flight Europe-Thailand/BKK. Surely they would have looked at the complete roundtrip-and have combined it with the other to FRA if it was feasible. Come late august-and then the reverse pattern is there: full from BKK, empty toward.
and as most know-prices/fares from BKK can be up to 2/300€-for plain eco-different as those for the same return to BKK from somewhere in Europe, Its just that they are-oh so old-fashioned-not often easy on the THAI site online.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Going home 2 days ago BKK-FRA.

As to the FA in F the load was 2 F, 12 C and 56 Y pax. Newly config plane holding a total of 375 pax meaning that they flew this bird at 18.67% load at a long-haul .

When I recall that they obviously rolled out the full program with caviar and Dom, at least 12 wasted F meals (2 meals @ 4 choices x 2 pax) and loads of cheese and fruit and full desserts -whole tart-, and all the paid staff I wonder how much they lost on that flight alone .

Don´t get me wrong, I surely was enjoying every minute, but from a farther view... scary.

F.R.
I was also on BKK-FRA one day later (08.07.) on the day flight (TG922). We were 3 in F and the C cabin on the main deck was deserted and closed.
Good for the pax but TG seems to have hard times.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by red star
We were 3 in F and the C cabin on the main deck was deserted and closed.
I noticed the same. When the 2 of us in F came onboard I peeked into the C cabin and saw 2 pax, after the first run to the toilet I noticed that they disappeared, onto the UD, one might think.

F.R.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
but are the other Asian airlines doing better for the long haul routes in their premium cabins?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
Well I can answer that for Singapore Airlines as SQ flights I took to LHR, SYD,AKL and SIn were all full in biz and nearly full in First.

I even had problems getting one flight from SIN-LHR in biz as was very overbooked.

Not a problem Thai is having.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Suspect LHR will have much higher numbers - anyone got details?
Incidentally EK in J is circa Ł400 cheaper than Thai, but with plane change.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
Suspect LHR will have much higher numbers - anyone got details?
Did a round trip on LHR-BKK last month in C & the loading was more than 12 just on the lower deck. Also 6-7/10 of the F seats were occupied. This was during the week that TG916 & TG917 were suspended.

Just booked a LHR-BKK return last fri for this coming wed in Y (TG911). Booking was directly through TG website and was quoted Q fares, seat plan was wide open. However just checked on seatcounter that all Y is sold out for the flight I booked (in the time of 48 hrs). Tried a dummy booking via TG and they are not accepting any more booking into Y. Very strange. Will be able to confirm later on this week about LHR loading.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by kinchai
Did a round trip on LHR-BKK last month in C & the loading was more than 12 just on the lower deck. Also 6-7/10 of the F seats were occupied. This was during the week that TG916 & TG917 were suspended.

Just booked a LHR-BKK return last fri for this coming wed in Y (TG911). Booking was directly through TG website and was quoted Q fares, seat plan was wide open. However just checked on seatcounter that all Y is sold out for the flight I booked (in the time of 48 hrs). Tried a dummy booking via TG and they are not accepting any more booking into Y. Very strange. Will be able to confirm later on this week about LHR loading.
Just tried FRA-BKK (TG921 and 923) 17+18+19 AUG.
TG website shows no seats in ECO on all 3 days.
I went on "Fly.de" and could get Q-fare without any problem for 19 AUG. Didn't try the other days but I think this is just another TG mystery.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA silver
I flew LHR-BKK TG911 on the 27th June. There were 4 of us in first and the C cabin looked pretty full as did the line for Y for boarding.
returned on the TG924 with 6 in F, I looked in to C and could count no more than 10 and Y looked very empty too.....
a real shame......
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by kinchai

TG911 on 15th July load in Y was close to 100%. Checked in staff told me was 12 overbooked but no op-up (thought would have been my lucky day finally had came with TG but NOPE. Still had higher success op-up rate with UA than with TG even though I am with ROP and not Mileage Plus ). Lower deck C was 8. F was 6 out of 10. Not bad at all. Connecting TG668 to CAN again was ~95%. Had spare seat next to me but still a very full flight. Will report back on TG911 tonight (21/7) on Y loading.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.