Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding ~ No Purchasing Credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding ~ No Purchasing Credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: KF
I was wondering, why Air Asia, Tiger Airways (those cheapees), doesnt implemented this policy, only these croco airlines.If theyre talking about like fraud, fine,but if you have the same name on the credit card, email address, phone number, they should have just considered it as a special case , besides, its not a system requirements.Anyway, they say , its a procedure, so better to follow next time,and I know AMEX will do something about it. With regards to TG people there, theyre just doing thier job I beleive...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite SPG Gold
I usually book online with Thai using my Amex and they never ask to see it. I tried to make a booking one time with less than 24 or 48 hours before departure (can't remember for sure) and it would not let me do it on line. I was able to phone in and book the ticket but was told I would have to show the card, and I did have to show the card. I think it is too easy for someone to scam them if they book a ticket on short notice, the money is most likely not yet in their account by the time the ticket is used.

You didn't mention in any of your posts here if they told you that you would have to show the card, did they? If you were told you would have to show the card and you can get Amex and/or Thai to pay for your mistake, then good for you. As for claiming the second ticket on insurance that would be the icing on the cake, a completely free flight for your own screw up! If they never told you would have to show the card, then they owe you for everything, it is totally their fault. If they did tell you and you figured you would chance it, then big deal you gambled and lost $70, it's your own fault, suck it up and move on.

I have a upcoming flight on an LCC over here and it says I "may have to show the card". At least if they are specific as to whether or not you have to show it, it is not as easy to blame them for not bending the rules.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
TG cuts off online purchases within 24 hours of flight time.

I've also been asked to show my CC sometimes on TG. I've resorted, where possible, to just book at an office or the airport (I live very close to one) as you can usually save, minimum, 400 Baht from the cheapest online price.

I realize the CC buys you some insurance, but when paying 2000 Baht I'm usually not troubled by the potential hassle and the extra charges from the CC make it even slightly more worthwhile to just pay cash.

Arbitrary requirements in Thailand? Couldn't be!!!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: UA, AA
Possible explanation...

If anyone is more knowledgeable about this please correct me. I think it may be a requirement of the merchant account they are using to charge the CCs. If you try to sign up for a merchant account, you are charged a different commission by the CC companies based on how the CC is accepted. It is lowest for transactions where the customers shows the physical card to the vendor. Maybe they're trying to get around paying a higher commission (for transactions online/on the phone) by having the customer show the physical card itself. There's probably no one there to stop them from bending the rules but if they get caught by the CC companies they may file suit to get back all the extra commissions they would be due for the higher risk transactions (online).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'd bought my ticket on the phone with TG using my AmEx card. BKK-HKT W class for 2220 Baht

Only in Bangkok for 2 nights, I didn't bring much with me. I didn't have my credit card used to buy the ticket. This wasn't a 3rd party purchase. It was my card, with my name; the ticket issued in my name as well.

TG refused to check me in or take any responsibility. I was refused any assistance, shuffled around from counter to counter for 1 1/2 hours. They would not budge. At the ticketing counter they told me they do this 100 times a day.

Needless to say, despite having a valid ticket, and passport, I was forced to by a new ticket.

The new ticket turned out to be 1920 Baht, 300 Baht cheaper than the one I was denied boarding for. I'm asking AmEx to do a chargeback.
What does their contract of carriage say?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
On the occasions when I have purchased directly from Thai Air by telephone or online I've been asked for my credit card at check-in, including the now defunct JFK-BKK nonstop.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
What does their contract of carriage say?
From the THAI website:

Electronic Ticket

* Electronic ticketing can be purchased on-line with airfare automatically charged through to your credit card.
* Credit card holder must travel in all flight segments.His or her name as appeared in the passport,as shown on the credit card,and as advised when making reservation must be exactly identical.
* Applicable flights are displayed with Electronic Ticketing Candidate Indicator (E).
* Debit card(automatically debit to the holder's account when card is swiped and payment is approved) is not accepted.
* A maximum of 4 passengers under payment of the same credit card is allowed.
* Flight confirmation will be sent to your e-mail address.
* Electronic ticket will be issued only after payment through your credit card is subsequently approved by which itinerary receipt containing ticket number will be sent to your e-mail address.
* Therefore ,it is mandatory that, after making reservation, you must always check your ticket status in the itinerary receipt.
* Credit card used for purchases of the electronic ticket and passport must always be presented at the check-in counter.For Thai passenger travelling on the domestic flight, picture affixed identification card issued by Thai government (for adult) or student identification card (for child) may also be shown instead of passport.
* Royal Orchid Plus (ROP) miles can be accrued as per normal rules except travelling on V and W class.
* Refund can be made by contacting any THAI ticket city office by which refund credit will be subsequently reimbursed to your credit card bank account. Refund fee may be applied.
* When you travel on the domestic route within Thailand and want to check-in using self service check-in Kiosk (available at selected domestic airports),it is mandatory to swipe only the credit card used for purchase of eletronic ticket for that segment (ROP card is not allowed).
* In some country where local law or local practice requires signature on the credit card sales slip, payment option through credit card will not be shown.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I could understand it for a ticket purchased very close to departure but for a ticket bought weeks or even months before it really is complete nonsense.Surely to God a passport is ample proof of your identity.

Just another thing to add to the list one has to remember nowadays when travelling and why flying isn't fun anymore.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I could understand it for a ticket purchased very close to departure but for a ticket bought weeks or even months before it really is complete nonsense.Surely to God a passport is ample proof of your identity.

Just another thing to add to the list one has to remember nowadays when travelling and why flying isn't fun anymore.
Methinks you're being a little dramatic there HIDDY.

Many businesses other than airlines require the CC in person that you charged with online.

At the Edinburgh Festival last August, both the Main box office and the Fringe BO required my physical CC to pick up tickets that I had ordered online.

That didn't diminish my festival experience, and I always plan ahead now in expectation of this when traveling.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by johnnybgood3
If anyone is more knowledgeable about this please correct me. I think it may be a requirement of the merchant account they are using to charge the CCs. If you try to sign up for a merchant account, you are charged a different commission by the CC companies based on how the CC is accepted. It is lowest for transactions where the customers shows the physical card to the vendor. Maybe they're trying to get around paying a higher commission (for transactions online/on the phone) by having the customer show the physical card itself. There's probably no one there to stop them from bending the rules but if they get caught by the CC companies they may file suit to get back all the extra commissions they would be due for the higher risk transactions (online).
The mechanism that establishes whether a card is present or not has to do with whether it's mag swiped or not (or in some countries PIN'd I would guess). It's conceivable, though unlikely, that Thai has some deal with their processor that they'll request to see the cards to assist in anti-fraud efforts. However when you process millions of dollars a month the standard rules of merchant accounts probably don't apply, or don't apply in the same way. Though a good theory, it's unlikely this is the cause of the policy. More likely it's some beancounter somewhere who doesn't like the hassle of chargebacks and has made an annoying policy to help lower those rates.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by dazz81
RISKY BUSINESS? I always buy direct from the airline, and I bring along my CC to checkin. its hardly risky, its very simple!
I consider it risky because you're dependent on having the same credit card with you at the date you fly. If you lose the card, if it's stolen, if it's physicaly broken in pieces (happened to me twice), if it needs to be renewed, or if you cannot remember which card you used, you have a problem. Your credit card actually becomes your ticket.

Also, one of my credit cards is connected to a virtual credit card system, for safety's sake. If I want to buy anything on the www, I can generate a unique number which is only valid for an amount and a time period specified by me. That number is obviously different from the number printed on my credit card. Thai and other airlines that require me to show the credit card at check-in actually means that I cannot use this safety feature when I buy the ticket on the Internet.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by RedChili
I consider it risky because you're dependent on having the same credit card with you at the date you fly. If you lose the card, if it's stolen, if it's physicaly broken in pieces (happened to me twice), if it needs to be renewed, or if you cannot remember which card you used, you have a problem. Your credit card actually becomes your ticket.

Also, one of my credit cards is connected to a virtual credit card system, for safety's sake. If I want to buy anything on the www, I can generate a unique number which is only valid for an amount and a time period specified by me. That number is obviously different from the number printed on my credit card. Thai and other airlines that require me to show the credit card at check-in actually means that I cannot use this safety feature when I buy the ticket on the Internet.
oh well, better not fly Thai or Singapore Airlines booking online. far too risky, and too difficult for you to remember to bring your card along. of course if it expires, would it be too hard to keep the old one with you until the flight. or if you lose the card, too difficult to contact the airline for options?? its not difficult and im surprised how long this thread has gone on, lets all move on!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macabus
Methinks you're being a little dramatic there HIDDY.
Just old age creeping in.

This rule is crazy.
As I said, booking a ticket months before then travelling and having to remember the card which could be months out of date and inactive is daft. Surely in the OP's instance a passport could have been accepted as proof that he wasn't being chased by Interpol for being a fraudster?

As for me saying flying isn't fun anymore.....well for me it isn't. All the extra rules and restrictions one has to remember has made it less fun. I have an upcoming RTW itinerary and I haven't a bloody clue as to what my baggage allowances are,all the airlines have different rules. Make the rules all the same for every airline and airport around the world and I might find it more fun.
Ah, the old days when one just turned up at the airport checked-in half an hour before departure and you could still be at the departure gate with time to spare.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:20 pm

The rule makes no sense when the CC holder is the one flying! TG could easily phone the CC company and have the OP verify the credit card. Of course common sense is not so common.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Every online booking I've made requires you to have the CC card used to purchase the ticket to present at check-in. It is a clear airline ticketing reg, and while it is not often asked for, is something someone as experienced as yourself should have been familiar with. It is not something for Amex to resolve, TG and other airlines requires it and you didn't have it. Why complain to Amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.