Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F seat question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2004, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

F seat question

We are looking to buy a TG F companion fare out of AKL to Europe. I've read very conflicting opinions here about the F service
but we really can't afford the F prices on any other carrier! Also this trip will finally push us both to * Gold so I'm not that worried
But my main question is whether they have the new F seats on all European routes or just to LHR and FRA or are all 747 flights with the new seats?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:35 pm

generally thai flies the new f seats to munich frankfurt and london while the only route that will never see the old version again is frankfurt. it happend to me quite often that they did last minute equipment change at bangkok airport. besides that you might end up on a 747-300 on the akl bkk leg and that f seat is as old as the cabin and it´s the oldest cabin i have ever seen. i´d better go sq spacebed cause thai´s entertainment system is like 0. i do love thai and i have been uncountable times on board their f but they also do not have à la carte service nor you can dine when you want to, but for general " feeding time " only. they offer cappucino which is instant and not fresh. for my taste no first class experience at all and the f cabin crew is more senior and less enthusistic about their work as their younger coworkers. i would think about that again. still a good airline.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Is there any information online anywhere about the TG J and F seats? From the TG website seating looks dreadful, but I have seen these references to new seats, what is the deal?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
The "old-style" F seats are getting quite old and worn. The new ones are an improvement but not on the same level as the F class beds on SQ, NH and LH. Thai service is freindly and efficient but not very flexible ie. you have to eat when they bring the food out. The entertainment system is not that great either. Basically you get what you pay for in this case!
You might be better off doing AKL-Europe in C class with NZ!
Old Feb 11, 2004, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I flew TG in F from LAX-KIX-BKK and BKK-HKG and the F product is really not that bad. Yes, the old seats are not flat beds, but they are still very comfortable. The service was extremely attentive and professional. Eating at the somewhat rigidly scheduled times was not an issue for me (incidentally, I have read this complaint in the SQ forum as well as here in the TG forum). The entertainment system is probably the biggest drawback if you get one of the old F cabins. I would still take this over C on other airlines any day. Also remember that all airlines have variations in their crews so you will get conflicting opinions on service quality.

[This message has been edited by tods27 (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I flew MEL-BKK-LHR in F - MEL-BKK had a scheduled equipment change from an MD-11 to a 744 (which designates old seats, as opposed to 747 for the new ones) - but there was no problem with this - as far as I can recall, the leg-rest is horizontal, which if it is not, is the main draw-back if not having a flat bed. Certainly the TG old F seat looks pretty similar to the Air New Zealand First Class seats now in operation (perhaps 5 degrees less recline on TG and less space at 62' pitch). The BKK-LHR sector was on a 747 - the seat went flat - but was a little narrow. At least with the flat seat there are no little curved bits and pieces to restirct your feet (like on BA and QF).

The service was good, the food average for what I could eat (I don't eat fish). For those passengers that did choose the fish dishes they looked great (especially the soup bowls).

Transit in BKK is fantastic with TG F - they look after you amazingly.

I am not convinced that TG F is better than SQ J. With TG F you are buying 'exclusivity' of the smaller cabin.

Regards

WG
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am scheduled to fly TG 921 (designated 747, not 744) FRA-BKK in May.

- should I expect the old style F seats (7441 w/ 18 FC seats) or the new style (7442 with 14 FC seats)?

- any recommended seats (by number, single traveler)?

[This message has been edited by transpac (edited Feb 16, 2004).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:31 am

FRA only has the new version since TG and LH share the costs for all FRA BKK flights and they would get problems with LH sending an old 744 to FRA. So out of FRA you can be absolutely sure you have the new version with 14 seats only. 2A or 4A is very nice ( 2B & H is blocked until check in so if the flight is not full you will have very likely a free seat next to you )... 2K and 4K you will hear the noice from the galley plus traffic to lav.

[This message has been edited by vivamuci (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:44 am

I flew from BKK to FRA last Sunday and had the old confirguration. Since it was a day flight it was no problem, I did not want to sleep anyway. I have got the newer configuration already on a flight to Muenchen. They do indeed fully recline to end up with a real bed.
On the other hand during the day the old type is more cosy, the new ones have like some wall behind the seat in front of you, which doesn't look very nice. O
n my last flight there were only 3 people in Royal First Class, while the rest of the Y class was overbooked and the C-class was also alomost full. The service was very good with a really very kind lady taking care of every whimp and wish. I prefer Thai even with a slightly lower level of objective comfort elements; the flight attendants are really nice and do not act as if they were nice like on SQ.

Henk
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:49 pm

I'm travelling on an MD11 soon from MEL.Any suggestions as to J seats to request or avoid.
Thanks,
Ozflier
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:05 pm

Oops sorry for the dup.
Ozflier

[This message has been edited by ozflier (edited Mar 11, 2004).]
Old May 3, 2004, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just wanted to follow-up after my recent FRA-BKK segment on TG 921 last week. I was ticketed to fly on an LH flight later the same night but was able to change to this TG flight. I have to say that I was very favorably impressed. The aircraft had the new seats, 14 first class seats, and everyone was able to have an empty seat next to them, except two couples that obviously wanted to stay seated next to each other . The seat is quite comfortable, very nearly like the current LH FC seat, as is the video screen. In flight entertainment uses a controller like SQ, but this is not Video on Demand. There is a decent selection of movies and audio programming. Back to the seat; I was able to sleep comfortably, even on my side.

Food and beverage was very impressive, caviar service was good, champagne was tete de cuvee but am unable to recall the house? Meal service is offered in a sort of buffet style. That is they roll the cart by and you can pick what you want, all of one thing, or a little of everything. Same goes for breakfast, with a nice choice of western and Asian offerings.

The amenity kit is packaged in the form of a traditional triangular Thai pillow. Sleeping attire is offered, interestingly styled.

You do get a sort of expedited arrival card that allows you to basically walk through immigration while a 'runner' processes your paperwork and delivers your passport with visa to you at the baggage carousel. (Some people got met at the gate and provided a golf-cart for the long walk from the gate to immigration, but not me. I think they were VIP's and/or members of a special, elite club?)

All in all a very impressive flight. Not quite up to par with NH or SQ, but equivalent to LH. I am looking forward to taking this same segment in a few weeks. If it is noticeably different I will add a note here.
Old May 5, 2004, 7:30 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
OT, but at BKK anyone can use the "golf cart" instead of walking all the way from the gate to immigration. I've used it a couple of times at BKK T2 when alighting at a gate on pier 5, which is a long long way from the immigration counters.
Old May 5, 2004, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Headphone jacks

I will be sampling TG First between AKL-SYD-AKL and know it will be the old seats, etc. Can someone advise what type of headphones will be provided, and if these are removable? If so, are they single or double jacks? I usually travel with my NC20 NRs, but last trip on CX in First, left them at home as theirs do not easily disconnect. Thanks for this information.
Old May 6, 2004, 10:37 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
The headphone is a regular one (not noise-cancelling). The plug has 2 pins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.