Wiki Posts
Search

Best Y seats on 777-300

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Best Y seats on 777-300

Greetings,

I have the dubious pleasure of flying BKK-KIX-BKK in TG Y coming up, which means the plane should be a 777-300. I did a search here and found some recommendations for 772, but none for 773... any suggestions? Thai's seatmap is here:

http://www.thaiair.com/flying/b777300-7731/s2.htm#seats

Are rows 47 and 60 any good? On overnight flights I usually prefer window seats so I don't have people climbing over me while I fitfully attempt to sleep.

Also, how do I go about booking the seat? My travel agent booked my seats for SIN-BKK just fine but said she can't book ahead for SIN-KIX -- is there some arcane magic and/or TG incompetence involved here?

Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:06 am

Programs: QF Platinum
The 773's of TG have to have the best economy seats (comfort wise) in the sky. I have gone out of my way to fly on them (they are that good).

I have a rather wide glutenous maximus and just fit into most airlines Y seats - but the TG 773's are fantastic both in terms of seat width and seat pitch.

If you are after a window - take one on the right hand side of the aircraft. The 3 773's I have been on have had a small electronics box under the A, D and H seats
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

luftaom, thanks! I know TG's seat pitch is generally pretty good, but this has me puzzled:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
If you are after a window - take one on the right hand side of the aircraft. The 3 773's I have been on have had a small electronics box under the A, D and H seats
</font>
Thanks for the tip -- but are you saying the 773s actually have PTVs in Y!? I thought TG didn't have those even in J...
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
It puzzles me too - there are as you say no PTV's... yet there is an electronics box. At least it is only under 1 in every 3 seats ... and isnt anywhere near as big as the usual PTV boxes on other airlines so it isnt that bad.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:46 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I flew on the 773 a few times between SIN and BKK, most recently two weeks ago. 32A is probably the best seat in Y. Loads of leg space since its the bulkhead.

I usually ask for 32C when I book my tickets (since 32A and B have the bassinette points and are blocked) and when I checkin, I just ask them to change to 32A if its available (and it always has been for my SIN-BKK flights). Of course, you might just have one of those days when you're stuck in 32C (which is a good seat in itself) with a bawling baby next two you, in which case the only thing that will save your sanity is an iPod and a QC2

Another quirk I noticed about Row 32 on the 773 is that they usually serve me the meal last and on the two occasions where they have run out of my choice of the main course, I have gotten a business class main course.

I've never sat in the back 2 sections on Y in TG, so I can't say this with any certainty, but the window seats in rows 47 and 60 may have the slide protrusion from the exit door which could leave you with hardly any legroom.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Seat 32C rocks!

Savage25, khop khun khrap for the tip! I managed to get 32C for both the 777 legs and I have to say that approximately 5 meters of leg room is a new personal record in economy. Frankly, I think C is a better choice than A, because there's nothing but the hallway in front of you. The flip side is, of course, increased odds of getting your toes run over with a duty-free cart, but the staff were pretty careful. Oddly enough, the planes I flew on featured a telephone booth (!) next to the 32C, which was excellent because nobody ever used the thing, so no queues and no toilet smell either -- unlike 32C's evil twin 32H. And oh yes, no bawling infants on either flight, nor seatmates in 32B; was I just lucky? (32A was occupied.)

Unfortunately BKK-KIX overnight isn't the greatest of flights for sleeping. We left behind schedule at 2 AM (Japan time) but landed almost on time at 6:30, and with breakfast service starting a little past 5 AM (ack) it was theoretically possible to sleep a maximum of 3 hours or so, and despite the rather generous seat pitch described above the recline wasn't all that great. But the flight was full and that's what I get for flying Y... the return flight during the day was, in the end, probably more pleasant, partly thanks to a good book to kill the time.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'll be flying BKK-KIX in TG (for the first time). I'm booked in Biz. Can anybody share their thoughts on what's the best Biz seat? Or perhaps overall comfort (in Biz) on their 773?

I don't have much of a reference point for Asian carriers in Biz. I'm used to AC and UA Biz, though.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:56 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
The business class on TG's 777-300 is comfortable. The seat pitch is around 49 inch, good recline, PTV, extending legrest. For Bangkok to Japan flight this is about the right aircraft to fly on.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 4:51 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Savage25, khop khun khrap for the tip! I managed to get 32C for both the 777 legs and I have to say that approximately 5 meters of leg room is a new personal record in economy. Frankly, I think C is a better choice than A, because there's nothing but the hallway in front of you. The flip side is, of course, increased odds of getting your toes run over with a duty-free cart, but the staff were pretty careful. Oddly enough, the planes I flew on featured a telephone booth (!) next to the 32C, which was excellent because nobody ever used the thing, so no queues and no toilet smell either -- unlike 32C's evil twin 32H. And oh yes, no bawling infants on either flight, nor seatmates in 32B; was I just lucky? (32A was occupied.)
Glad I could help! Yep, the leg space is great in 32C and I would take it any day over any other row in Y. I personally prefer 32A is because it has a window and its out of the way of the FA's when they move their carts. Plus I can cross my legs without the bottom of my feet pointing at an FA walking by (Its considered extremely rude in Thailand to point your feet at someone...seemingly insignificant, I know, but its something I've come to appreciate after living in BKK for a few months).

And while I'm OT, here's an interesting tidbit: Ever wondered why the TG FA's change into their traditional outfits on board as opposed to the TG uniform they wear while they're in the airport? Apparently TG considers their aircraft a home-in-the-sky and in order to welcome you into their "home", they change into they colorful traditional outfits.

Ok, back on topic, like I said earlier on the 773, 32AB are blocked off for passengers with infants and they only release it at the airport for *S or *G. But only if you ask! I've had a couple of flights with just me in Row 32 when the flight was about 80% full

I've never noticed the phone booth before...so thats what the double-arrow thingy is on their seatmap!
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:17 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by spk
The business class on TG's 777-300 is comfortable. The seat pitch is around 49 inch, good recline, PTV, extending legrest. For Bangkok to Japan flight this is about the right aircraft to fly on.
Thanks spk!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The J class seat is O.K in terms of pitch, but it is quite narrow. Think AA's J class on a 763 if that helps. It's not a world beater and doesn't stack up that well against some of the regional competition, but is certainly preferrable to the godawful A300.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:11 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
Swanhunter,

You might be thinking of TG's C class on 777-200 which is arranged 2-4-2 and is very narrow. On 777-300 the seat arrangement is 2-3-2 and the width is reasonable and not narrow.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spk - you are quite right. Apologies for the dodgy information. One too many beers last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.