Wiki Posts
Search

1st Time TG Flyer ???????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2001, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
1st Time TG Flyer ???????

I'm Star Alliance Gold flying a Business award ticket to BKK on TG.

With outbound/inbound layovers at LAX, is it better to use TG or UA lounge?

Does either have showers??

How long is the KIX layover on LAX-BKK route and how long is NRT layover on BKK-LAX route?

Do KIX and NRT have TG lounges? If so, with showers?

Can you order obento box meals like on UA? Are there other non-meat/non-shellfish entrees you can recommend?

Can You fly a domestic TG connection on an award ticket as long as its within 24 hours of intl flight? And can you fly standby if you miss the 24 hour cutoff?

Sorry for so many nit picky questions, but its my wife's 1st transpac ever and my first brush with TG intl.

Thanks for your assistance in advance!

Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
beaubo, just be sure to tell TG that it is your wife's first transpac trip, and they will really turn up the hospitality on board to make it a memorable flight.

The Bradley terminal in LAX can get a bit third-worldish at times, so I usually spend my time in the RCC in Terminal 7 before heading out. Of course that assumes that you will be arriving with enough time, and access to T7.

When flying TG I usually transit through KIX, which has a very, I repeat, very cramped lounge. Minimal amenities. However, the layover is generally about 90 minutes both there and in NRT. Too bad TG uses T2 in NRT. Otherwise, you could go over to the RCC lounges in T1 which has everything that you are looking for. Since most of my traveling in and out of NRT is mainly via UA, SQ, CX and KE, I am not a T2 expert.

TG's offerings are usually some varient of gai, moo, or pla (chicken, pork, or fish). However, with a request and reconfirmation made more than 24-hours in advance, TG will offer the following:

Vegetarian Meals
  • Western Vegetarian or Ovo-Lacto
    For those able to eat diary products and eggs but not meat or meat products.
    Whenever possible, our cheese is made with rennet.
  • Strict Western Vegetarian or Vegan
    A pure vegetarian meal without meat or meat products, fish, fowl, products with lard or gelatine, diary products, eggs and honey.
  • Oriental Vegetarian
    These vegetarian meals are cooked Chinese style but without meat, fish, game, diary products, or root vegetables like garlic, onion, spring onion, ginger, etc.
  • Indian Vegetarian
    A spicy vegetarian meal with a limited amount of dairy products.
  • Strict Indian Vegetarian
    Contains no meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, game, seafood, or root vegetables including potato.
  • Kosher Meal
    Prepared according to Jewish dietary laws.
  • Muslim Meal
    Contains no pork, ham, bacon, or alcohol in any form. All meat and poultry has been slaughtered and cooked according to Halal laws.
  • Hindu Non-Vegetarian
    Contains no beef, veal, or pork. May include lamb, domestic fowl, or any other meat, fish, or milk allowed in authentic Indian cooking.
  • No Beef Meal
    Contains no beef, veal, or products related to beef and veal.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:10 am

UAL Traveler

I ususally fly UA on this route with award tickets, but due to lack of availability this year will be flying coach with my wife on TG.

I am * gold on a revenue coach ticket. Any thoughts on TG providing an operational upgrade? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
plenow, very sorry for the late reply. I've received operational upgrades in the past using *gold (UA 1K) on short-haul international flights, e.g. from HKG, KIX/NRT, and TPE to/from BKK. When traveling with TG transpac, I have not been operationally upgraded from J->P as a 1K. I have not flown them in econ transpac.

Fortunately, TG will provide op upgrades based on *A status and check-in time if the flight is heavily oversold. If it is a marginal booking condition, they will take your request to be added to the upgrade list, which is resolved at the gate. TG will usually resolve the list when boarding commences. My advice is to check in early.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 7:51 am

UAL

Thanks for the response. Just in time flying out this afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.