Service upgrade gets axe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2001, 8:08 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Service upgrade gets axe

Service upgrade gets axe

Fliers in Thai Airways International's (THAI) first- and business-class sections will have a longer wait before they can enjoy world-class seats and inflight entertainment, with the airline's executive board deciding yesterday to scrap a planned US$100-million (Bt4.5 billion) overhaul.

Executive chairman Sunthorn Pokachaipat would only say yesterday that the upgrade plan was not worthwhile, and that the board would meet again on July 9 to set new short- and long-term plans to modernise seating and entertainment facilities.

THAI has recently faced complaints - including from Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra - of poor aircraft inflight amenities and passenger comfort as it has failed over the past decade to keep up with advances in seating and entertainment systems. For example, on many other airlines, economy passengers now have individual television screens and controls, while first-class passengers snooze on seats that recline fully into beds.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page...3516&usrsess=1
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:39 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Well doc, as you can imagine, this story has been a hot topic this morning here in Bangkok. It appeared as the lead article with a blaring headline on the front page. Even TG loyalists are beginning to question whether it pays to keep flying TG if other carriers are an option. One paragraph from The Nation's article that is really raising eyebrows says
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Permanent transport secretary Srisook Chandarangsu said THAI had seen its first- and business-class passengers desert to its rivals as its first class is equivalent to only economy class on other carriers.</font>
Obviously not true, but a dramatic statement nonetheless, by an official (Khun Srisook) who does have a bit of respect out here. Given the Thai style of management and planning, and reading only very slightly between the lines, the message is clear: TG management has made a concious decision, in line with a complex set of government policies, to let their airline go downhill for next year or so. Also, in speaking with several Thais it is clear that pride in TG is a thing of the past. There is no grass-roots (read: middle class) support for the presence of a world-class flag-carrier here in Thailand as there is, for example, in SIN and HKG.

Earlier this morning I was checking on BKK-DEL flights with a TA. Initially, the TG nonstop was waitlist only, with plenty of seats available on the SQ flights which connected through SIN. After mulling the options for a few minutes I decided on the SQ option. Guess what? Sold out. HL only. In the space of a few minutes TG became, to quote the FA 'mai dtem loei' (not full at all). One can only guess where the pax went. So, I'm booking TG, but waitlisted on SQ.

[This message has been edited by UAL Traveler (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old Jun 28, 2001, 9:05 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
This is HORRIBLE news.

UAL Traveler, you know what's going on more than I do, but if this upgrade delay happens, TG won't have a chance. I'm very sorry to have read this.

Thanks for the insight, Doc and UAL.

Will
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by TravelinWilly:
This is HORRIBLE news.</font>
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that the current PM will do whatever it takes to get and keep power. He is pandering to the majority, and his policies has been labeled 'fish and rice' in contrast to those of the previous (Democrats) administration's, which were more currency-, business- and finance-oriented. Senior business leaders in town won't say anything overtly negative against the current regime. Thus, it is deemed good politics to slash budgets of projects that are perceived as benefitting the minority middle and upper classes. The TG retrofit and was one such project, and no one of any import will speak out against the decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.