Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 minute connection in BKK adequate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2001, 7:10 am
Original Poster

50 minute connection in BKK adequate?

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has the official word regarding minimum connection times at BKK.

I will be arriving on UA 875 at 9:25 pm, hoping to catch TG 124 to CNX at 10:15 pm. My TA issued two separate tickets with two separate record locators; the BKK-CNX ticket is in Y.

I assume that I can check my luggage all the way to CNX and do an international connection onto TG (gate 7 thing...). I know that if UA 875 is delayed by more than 15-20 minutes I would miss the flight and have to wait around for TG 100 the next morning (and Louis Tavern day rooms would get some extra business).

However, supposing UA 875 lands on time, and I get out of the plane fast, and I manage to run from the gate (somewhere in the 40s, I assume) to Transfer desk 1 so as to arrive there before, say, 9:55 pm, is there any reason TG could refuse to check me in for the connecting flight?

I have been through BKK 40+ times, so finding my way won't be an issue... my concern is just how much time before departure TG closes transfer desk check-in for a gate 7 departure.

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I take 875 quite frequently (last time was a few weeks ago to BKK), and lately it seems to have been running early, usually arriving around 9pm. Immigration has been a breeze at that time of the evening, although I realize that is not of concern, given that you are heading up to Chiang Mai and will clear it there. My impression is that TG works closely with UA, and since 875 is UA's only inbound flight, and is usually filled with farang wanting to make their TG connections, you should have no problems.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 2:59 am

No problem at all. I have done it a couple of time without any problem at all.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

We got into BKK 40 minutes early, so I made the connection easily. The connection in NRT was hairier (10 minutes, due to delays in leaving ORD), but even my luggage made it.

On another note: the UA purser on the NRT-BKK flight had never heard of international connection to CNX, and tried to tell me I had to pass customs and immigration in BKK!

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:39 pm

Glad things went well for you. I have found that international UA crews (FAs and pilots) know surprisingly little about issues surrounding immigration, transit procedures and customs.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 1:41 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by UAL Traveler:
Glad things went well for you. I have found that international UA crews (FAs and pilots) know surprisingly little about issues surrounding immigration, transit procedures and customs.</font>
They basically bypass immigration.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 5:04 am

peter42, good point, but then they should not hand out incompetent advice to trusting pax.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 7:37 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by UAL Traveler:
peter42, good point, but then they should not hand out incompetent advice to trusting pax.</font>
That is true.
Old Jun 27, 2001, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Yes... especially since they claimed to be a Bangkok based flight crew...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.