THAI laments allowing SIA into alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2001, 8:32 pm
nlp
Original Poster

Bangkok Post

The world's biggest airline network, Star Alliance, said yesterday that it aimed to keep Thai Airways International within the fold despite its grumblings over the partnership.

"We have absolutely no plan to let THAI leave," said Helene Abraham, the Star Alliance spokeswoman for France.

Sunthorn Pokachaipat, THAI's new executive chairman, said last month that the national carrier's management had made a "grave mistake" in allowing arch-rival Singapore Airlines to join the Star Alliance. He said he was disappointed that the national carrier-a founding member of the global airline grouping-was not able to prevent Singapore Airlines' membership.

"We are one of the founding members of Star Alliance. Why did we let Singapore Airlines enter the alliance?" he asked. Mr Sunthorn said it appeared that THAI had little clout in the global network, which was dominated by Lufthansa Airlines, and he lamented the junior role it had been relegated to since SIA's admission.

If Thai Airways were to leave, it could help Air France and Delta Airways, which are both seeking a strong Asian partner for their own alliance, SkyTeam.

[This message has been edited by nlp (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old Jun 10, 2001, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I cant understand why TG stays in * to play second fiddle to SQ. Korean air would be a much weaker competitor when compared to SQ.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 1:40 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
True, but when you talk to TG management, you get the idea that leaving would be a major loss of face given their founder status, and SQ, if anyone, should be shown the door. Thai logic.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 7:23 am
Suspended

Yes, korean would be a much better asian partner in that TG would look great compared to the other one, but DL/AF, who wants them? TG would be the strongest one in the whole group...

No chance SQ would ever be asked to leave, *A scored the biggest coup in aviation history just getting them to agree to partner with the low quality likes of UA...

Anyway, it would be nice if TG could get into oneworld.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 7:59 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/000181.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum48/HTML/000017.html
Old Jun 11, 2001, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by tummyg:
Anyway, it would be nice if TG could get into oneworld.</font>
Then TG would cry about CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.