Wiki Posts
Search

Worse lounges I seen,

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Angry Worse lounges I seen,

Well OK, to be fair the one in Laos was worse but not by far,

Is that just me, or do any other think that I'm right ?

Bhuuu Thai, I'm out, and going to the food shops on the other floor, and think that I skipped my morning meal for this...
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:58 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
Which lounge did you visit? The ones at BKK Suvarnabhumi are very good. If you mean the lounge at Don Muang then I can understand but you should note that Don Muang lounge is not representative of airlines lounges in Thailand. Don Muang is receiving no new investment.

Last edited by spk; Mar 10, 2008 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
This rant would be far more effective if you told us which lounge you're referring to.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes you right,

It was the one in JFK, the ones in BKK Suvarnabhumi is much better and likely the best part of the airport ( see other post on BKK Suvarnabhumi)

Sun direct into seating( mornings ), no way to block, no food other then "some kind of chips" and toasted bread with butter,

Sorry for being unclear,

Regards
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Which lounge was it? The big basically shared one landside in Terminal 4 used by lots of different airlines, including SQ? I think it used to be Swissair's lounge and then Northwest's? Not sure who it's leased to now. Or does TG have its own little lounge someplace. (I wouldn't think so, since it just operates one flight per day.)

The one SQ uses was nice enough. Decent selection of nibbly things and great tarmac views. Despite being huge, it was packed since so many TATL flights leave around the same time.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Right the one in terminal 4.

Its shared, not that normally is a problem, but coming from Asia and my fist time in US and getting in and seeing it was kind of let down, I was expecting a lot more, ( might be we are spoiled in Asia ? )

But as a hungry person I found the food stuff, ( Nibbels ) a lot less attractive than the Big Mac and other tings found on the lower floor, next time I bring one with me.

I did try to go to the Swissair's lounge, however it was closed

Regards
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by IsNoGood
Right the one in terminal 4.

Its shared, not that normally is a problem, but coming from Asia and my fist time in US and getting in and seeing it was kind of let down, I was expecting a lot more, ( might be we are spoiled in Asia ? )
You'll be even more let down elsewhere in the US. JFK Terminal 4 is one of the nicer international terminals in the US. SFO's international terminal is my favorite. But most are bad or horrible. ATL is totally unimpressive, so is Washington-Dulles, and DFW. LAX's Tom Bradley International Terminal is the armpit of the United States. The recent refurbishment of the lounges at LAX TBIT have improved things, but the place is still horrible. Welcome to the United States!

You are spoiled in Asia. HKG, ICN, BKK (in my opinion), SIN are all great with some very good or excellent lounges.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Why don't you try the Maple Leaf Lounge in Toronto? I mean how can these airlines serve any decent food in the lounges when they make you pay for the lousy food in Y. LoL !!!! Asia has some of the best lounges I have to say.^
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Next time, try RCC at JFK T7 in the morning.
You'll get warm orange juice and that's pretty much it.
You are spoiled, and had too much expectation.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:11 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
The problem is that you have not seen most US airlines lounges yet. They are definitely not quite the same as lounges in Asia. Food is usually very very limited. Alcohols are usually not free.

Set the expectation right and enjoy your US travel!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The OP hasn't seen anything yet. The absolute worse lounge I have ever been to (twice) is the AZ lounge @ MXP.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
The absolutute worst has to be Baku Airport Lounge, its a lounge managed by the airport itself, and I think it provides services to all airlines flying there. I was on AZAL - Azerbaijan Airlines, in Business. The lounge is one room, the only TV in there was broke, no ice, drink selection was abysmal, food was comprised of stale open faced bologna sandwiches covered in combination of saran wrap and flies. I was the only person in there, drank my warm but potent G&T and left, only to find a two hour delay at the gate.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
My least favourite lounge (don't know if it's the worst, perhaps better classified as the most disgraceful effort by a well-respected international airline) is the LH lounge at DXB. That lounge alone is reason enough to fly anyone but LH out of there.

Fortunately, for when you've no choice but to be on LH, there's a good 24-hour bar in the hotel lobby in T1. The cost of the gin & tonic is well worth the peace and quiet there.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by asnovici
The absolutute worst has to be Baku Airport Lounge, its a lounge managed by the airport itself, and I think it provides services to all airlines flying there. I was on AZAL - Azerbaijan Airlines, in Business. The lounge is one room, the only TV in there was broke, no ice, drink selection was abysmal, food was comprised of stale open faced bologna sandwiches covered in combination of saran wrap and flies. I was the only person in there, drank my warm but potent G&T and left, only to find a two hour delay at the gate.
Sounds similar to the VIP lounge in Lahore, except it did have 2 rooms (both smoke filled).

I was surprised it had a computer - but it may as well not have as the connection was the slowest I've seen and the screen burnt-in image had to be seen to be believed (hard to see much else past it!).

Food was some unidentified hard-looking thing, and yes uncovered so complete with flies.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
The lounge TG uses at JFK is operated by KLM I believe. As others have said it isn't bad when compared to the average lounge in the States. My feeling is that this thread doesn't really belong in this forum because it really doesn't have anything to do with TG. Both the JFK and VTE lounges mentioned by the OP are contract lounges and TG doesn't really have much choice. There likely aren't enough passengers in either location to warrant TG spending the large amount of money to build their own lounge. If they aren't going to build their own lounge then if they've selected the best available lounge it is then beyond their control. Some of the contracted lounges used by TG or by other airlines may be terrible but it's something we have to live with. Better to have the lounge and the option to use it than no lounge at all. If there was an alternate contract lounge in the same terminal at JFK that was way better than the Oasis lounge TG uses then you might have a complaint against TG. If not such discussions belong in the appropriate travel forum being they really are not TG related.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.