Wiki Posts
Search

TG is stopping all F services to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:37 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
744s go to MUC and NRT (TG640/641).

743s are long gone. Actually, they have been broken up for parts already.

Within summer TPI, 4 773's will be completely retrofitted. Looks like 2 will be online by March 30, another mid-May, and the another one in August.

We can expect a fare hike for C class. With this competitive product, TG would have no problem raising the fare.

Last edited by spk; Feb 20, 2008 at 12:45 am
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:08 pm

Is the new-J seat on the 773 the same as the J seat on the 345?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:01 pm
spk

No, it's the same as J on 772ER. This seat is reported to be better than J on 345 because it's wider and the IFE screen is huge (17-19 inches).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:30 pm

But the seat is still slopey-flat not flat-flat?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:51 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Colin
But the seat is still slopey-flat not flat-flat?
Correct they are only lie flat, not flat-flat as on BA.
And that is if you are lucky enough to get the retrofitted aircraft. As of today only 1 , maybe 2, 777-300 have been retrofitted with the lie flat seats... I can easily predict that there will be lots of angry pax when they find out they are supposed to sleep in the ancient seats with barely no recline...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:42 am
Suspended

As of today only 1 , maybe 2, 777-300 have been retrofitted with the lie flat seats...

Is this for certain...? I hope not!
Can anyone confirm...?

AG.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
According to TG's website, only 1 is retrofitted :
http://www.thaiair.com/About_Thai/Pu...craftFleet.htm
I heard that a second one is almost done, but even with that, it still leaves you with a 66% probability to get the crappy seats. Sorry but I don't take the chance.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, ROP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Are all the 777-200 (non ER) fitted with the new J seats? TG website indicates there are 8 of these aircraft.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:29 pm
spk

Yes, all 772 and 772ER have lie-flat seats. 772ER has a newer version with wider seat and larger IFE screen.

773 will get the same seat as 772ER.

The risk of getting old 773 on this route definitely exists in the first two months (highest risk period from 1 April to 16 May) but the rotation of these 2 refitted aircrafts are loose and allow plenty of ground time in BKK. I think TG do this intentionally to minimize the risk of having to use the older 773.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by spk
The risk of getting old 773 on this route definitely exists in the first two months (highest risk period from 1 April to 16 May) but the rotation of these 2 refitted aircrafts are loose and allow plenty of ground time in BKK. I think TG do this intentionally to minimize the risk of having to use the older 773.
Hi spk, thanks for the update, always good info, do you see it, that the last two being used, if being used at all, will only be on the Australian run. It's murphy's law, but have you noticed that the regular fleet never goes u/s during the daytime flights, when the bed is needed, it's always on a midnight flight!!!. Once this early Easter is out of the way, it is well and truely into the low season, but then have you seen July, wow, you should see the loadings for this month, I guess I am one of the unlucky FF trying to get Bdawards during this time and the odds are not in my favour.

Thai Business price is set to rise, I have noticed that there is little movement on prices this year. The opposition have a good idea on the MEL-SIN run, if they give me the new one, they hit me with a surcharge but "hide" it in taxes, and if I get the unfitted ones which is more times than not, it's the ord fare. Doesn't bother me it's a short flight, even so it cost AU$4255, and I normally pay TG AU$3275 to bkk. Qantas charge AU$4588 to bkk, so I see TG going to $4275. I get this feeling once all the planes are refitted, they will not hold back. Had to grin, someone referred to the Australian FF users of the cheap F fares (AU$5895) out of Australia as nouveau riche wannabees, but I would have thought we were just opportunists. It all good fun, regards bkkrop
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spk
Thanks for the information. I have flights booked in September; it sounds like it is likely that the refit of the 773 seating will be completed across the fleet by then - does that seem right?

I originally had F-class BKK-SYD reserved and I don't really want to start my vacation with the old J seating instead! I can live with new J.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: Thai
Would be nice to be able to AFFORD the problem of which business class seats I would get. When I fly BKK-SYD next December, It will have to be Economy what with C class being 3 times the price of economy. Interesting to note that on one of the 777-300 configs, some Econ seats have 32" pitch and some 34". Important information for taller people.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DownUnder
I find this somewhat ironical given Thai still flies the 346 to AKL with F class seating. You wouldnt think AKL has more F demand than the likes of SYD or MEL.
Originally Posted by briantoronto
I just got downgraded from a 346 to a 772 on my flight from AKL to BKK in April - actually, they cancelled the flight on the day I was flying, so I got pushed back 24 hours!
It looks like F on the BKK-AKL-BKK route is gone. I'm trying to book an FRWSTAR2 for October-November and TG989 only comes up '777' on both SeatCounter and the AmexITN tool.

It does still say '346' on the TG website, but it also still gives the schedule for 6 Oct 07 - 27 Oct 07 ! ha ha

cheers,

Henry
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Yes F ex AKL is gone (from late March 08). There have been a few discussions on this.
TG will be flying 772ER which have the new biz class. There was some conjecture that F may come back to AKL late in the year but on my phone discussion with TG in New Zealand yesterday they where not very hopeful that this would happen.
The only F option to Asia ex AKL is now SQ.
Cheers
WLGNZ
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:18 pm

This article appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on March 15 in the 'Traveller' supplement:

Thai Airways is in the process of upgrading the business & economy cabins on planes operating from Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane.
By the end of the month, all seats in economy will have in-seat entertainment & the business cabins will be converted to a capsule-style configuration, with seats that recline 163 degrees.

and from Thai's website advertising a special seniors fare:

THAI is flying the upgraded Royal Silk Business Class product on all flights* from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to Bangkok : 2 x 2 capsule-style, forward-facing, 163 degree recline lie-flat seating, fitted with all the latest inseat entertainment options and facilities.

Last edited by macnivison; Mar 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.