Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to BKK Economy Flight: Comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
LAX to BKK Economy Flight: Comfortable?

So my girlfriend and I are planning to go to Thailand in January for two weeks. However, we really don;t want to spend $3,000 on a ticket and are looking at an economy ticket on Thai Airways. Has anyone flown economy on the airline lately? If so is there enough leg room? What are the amenities like? Etc?

Also, any suggestions for taking flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap and Phuket? Is Thai airways the best or would Bangkok Airways be a better cheaper version?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Bangkok Airways is the only airline that flies to Siem Reap and due to their monopoly charge very high prices. It's either that or go by surface.

To Phuket you have lots of choices. If you want cheap, look to Air Asia or Nok Air. Otherwise Bangkok Air or Thai Air.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by luskinj
Also, any suggestions for taking flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap and Phuket? Is Thai airways the best or would Bangkok Airways be a better cheaper version?
If you want to go to Siem Reap try TG to Phenom Penh then either take the river boat to Siem Reap (take food with you) or a cheap but comfortable air conditioned coach to Siem Reap (warning the road can be a bit bumpy, has stop for food and toilet). I have worked in Cambodia as a foreign aid worker, met my wife there as she was doing foreign aid work as well, and loved Phenom Pehn and the ex-pat lifestlye (cheap and luxurious R&R).
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1.78MM, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by luskinj
So my girlfriend and I are planning to go to Thailand in January for two weeks. However, we really don;t want to spend $3,000 on a ticket and are looking at an economy ticket on Thai Airways. Has anyone flown economy on the airline lately? If so is there enough leg room? What are the amenities like? Etc?
The A345 has 36" pitch, which I find roomy for Economy. I also seem to think 36" is the maximum pitch in Economy among most airlines, but I may be mistaken.

As for amenities, this is a 3-meal flight. Entertainment is AVOD with the TV screen in the seat in front of you (except for bulkhead).

Click here to compare seat pitch
http://www.seatguru.com/charts/intl_economy.php

Click here for Thai's own description of their product
http://www.thaiairwaysusa.com/EN/Fli...nroducing.aspx

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TradingFiend; Jul 5, 2007 at 3:34 am Reason: changed preposition for clarification purposes
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Yes, it is rather comfortable. As others have mentioned, AVOD + 36" pitch (something you will not find on other airlines, A345 only). Also it serves 3 meals, with standard inflight amenities such as toothbrush, eyeshade... You may want to consider Y+ which gives 110% mileage, 42" pitch and 2-3-2 seating. The rest of the amenities and service is the same for Y+.

To Phuket, you could try to go on TG C which is rather cheap. Or you could try out FD (Thai Air Aisa) for a bargain.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
The 345's 2-4-2 seating in economy is nice for couples as you won't have to share your row with anyone else if you book the side seats. I've found the PE seat to be worth the $400 extra, but if that doesn't fit into your budget you should find the regular economy seats and amenities to be the best you can find for a transpacific flight.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Siem Reap

REP is indeed expensive from BKK. If you go to PNH take Air Asia - MUCH cheaper than TG but only a morning flight. Also the fare rules for BKK-REP in Y allow routing through PNH - with unlimited stopover time - presents some possibilities unless PNH is not of interest. Also if you want to go Laos you can fly into REP from Pakxe if you really want to get adventurous. Also if you are flying to a number of destinations on Bangkok Air take a look at their 3+ flight airpass - I think it works with Lao Air - you need to check current rules.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I'll add to what others have said; Getting to Thailand from USA, there is no better economy class than on THAI's A340-500 services out of New York JFK and Los Angeles LAX. Good service, good food, great AVOD, and the most spacious economy class (at 36" seat pitch) available.

As far as getting to Phuket, I'll add that you can get better deals on Air Asia and Nok Air if you book earlier and can handle the commitment, as they are generally non-refundable.

THAI offers a full service product and is refundable, but costs 2x-3x as much as the better deals available from Air Asia and Nok Air.

A happy medium, especially if you are not sure and book within a few days of departure, is 1-2-Go. They have fixed pricing at 1750 baht one way, all inclusive. There's a certain appeal to me of dealing with a company that is straight forward about things, and doesn't force it's customers to jump through hoops in order to get the best deal.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I'll add to what others have said; Getting to Thailand from USA, there is no better economy class than on THAI's A340-500 services out of New York JFK and Los Angeles LAX. Good service, good food, great AVOD, and the most spacious economy class (at 36" seat pitch) available.

As far as getting to Phuket, I'll add that you can get better deals on Air Asia and Nok Air if you book earlier and can handle the commitment, as they are generally non-refundable.

THAI offers a full service product and is refundable, but costs 2x-3x as much as the better deals available from Air Asia and Nok Air.

A happy medium, especially if you are not sure and book within a few days of departure, is 1-2-Go. They have fixed pricing at 1750 baht one way, all inclusive. There's a certain appeal to me of dealing with a company that is straight forward about things, and doesn't force it's customers to jump through hoops in order to get the best deal.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
I didn't realize that 1-2-Go was fixed price. I really like the idea!

One thing to keep in mind with 1-2-Go is that they depart from the old airport, not the new airport - this is not a bad thing, but just something to take note of. If you do book with them, make sure you get a taxi to the old airport for your departure to HKT.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:17 am

Don't be afraid

I would not be afraid of flying in Thais Economy. Although I typically fly in F of C, not so long ago we took a vacation trip with a couple of friends, who travelled on a more restricted budget. We flew on Thai from Frankfurt to Bangkok and then from Bangkok to Hanoi. After our holiday back fro Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok and later back to Frankfurt. On the first three flights we were upgraded to C (we all are Star Gold), but the last flight was in Economy. We had dinner before boarding and slept right away. Actually I felt much better after this flight than after a supposedly more relaxing flight in F or C. The trick is not to eat or drink, but rather sleep during the night. Its easier to resist temptation in Economy than it is in First. I must add that I am not too tall with a body weight of 58 kg and I am in excellent physical condition, for taller or fat people sleeping might be a little less comfortable, but still Thai has one of the most roomy seats in Economy I think. Only United plus definitely has more legroom.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Hendrikje_be
Thai has one of the most roomy seats in Economy I think. Only United plus definitely has more legroom.
Seatguru.com lists UA's E+ seat pitch as 34-36"
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: most of them
I did not think that flights between BKK and REP were all that expensive. I am on Bangkok Airways from REP to BKK and I think a one way ticket was something like US$100. Even my C ticket BKK-PNH was just about $130. I think PNH-REP was about $50. You can book directly on Bangkok Airways' website.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi,

did the BKK-LAX in economy last year once. I think it was very good for an economy seat. Thai Economy constantly scores good in surveys/review of economy class - more so then their Biz. product.

the only pain i had was the metal box used for the AVOD sticks out on the right side seat. made it really difficult to stretch my legs. But you are travelling with a friend so you'd probably pefer the 2 seats in the 2-4-2 seating.

thanks
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
Thanks all. Huge help. We tinkered with the idea of stopping over to get a cheaper flight, but your reviews of Thai economy is definitely making it easier to spend the extra $400.

I definitely plan on sleeping through the flight. I'm going to ask my doctor for some ambien to make the sleep a bit easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.