Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Time to oust THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to oust THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
He's at it again. From Sawasdee, June, 2007...

President's Message

Welcome on board our Royal Orchid Service, and a special welcome to those of you who are visiting Thailand with your family.

June is a perfect month for a family vacation and there are many destinations to experience in Thailand and around the world, so we are expecting record numbers of families to be flying with us this month. To ensure that all the arrangements are perfect, our Royal Orchid Holidays have designed special family packages, "Family Getaways", to provide families with fun activities that can be enjoyed by everyone.

These special holidays include destinations throughout Thailand, from the lush jungle-covered mountains of Chiang Mai in the north, to the pristine beaches of Phuket in the south. Or for once-in-a-lifetime adventure take the family to South Africa to see magnificent wild animals in their natural habitat. There are many destinations, all offering numerous activities and adventures for both children and their parents.

Bangkok is also a place to visit to experience a taste of Thailand with huge array of things to do. As we are now in the rainy season, delicious and distinctive Thai fruits such as mangosteen, longan, mango and rambutan are abundant.

To make your travel in Thailand even more convenient, I am pleased to announce that the re-opening of Don Mueang International Airport for domestic operations has helped THAI maximise aircraft utilisation and there is less flight congestion. This enables THAI to reduce aircraft turn-around time, which in turn helps increase our overall operation efficiency.

I would also like to take this opportunity on behalf of the Management and staff of THAI, to invite you to visit Thailand and join us in celebrating His Majesty the King's 80th birthday anniversary this year, where different activities and events are organised throughout the year. We look forward to welcoming you and your family to the Kingdom of Thailand during this inauspicious year.
In light of the chief idiot's latest comments, I think my opinion - that it was THAI's decision to move to DMK and not the government or others forcing to do so - is now well justified. Apinan himself is "pleased to announce the re-opening of Don Mueang" and he thinks that this is "even more convenient" for us.

Everytime I visit BKK these days, the domestic gates look almost like a ghost town. I've seen times where there is not a single plane parked at the gates, and other times where only a couple of Bangkok Air planes are there. Since the move to Don Muang, I've never seen any time where even close to a majority of the gates are occupied. Even before the move there were often many free gates. Not to mention TG is very happy to use remote gates and buses at BKK, and even at DMK. There was obviously no problem with TG being unable to supply adequate equipment, buses or personnel at BKK, because TG had to transfer and/or add more for the re-opening of DMK, which would make equipment/personnel utilization worse, not better.

The only possible help in aircraft turn-around time that I could see would be if there were long delays in aircraft waiting to take-off and/or land. However, I never experienced this at BKK before the re-opening of DMK, and with the elimination of Nok Air and 1-2-go from BKK, any small problems they may have had would likely be alleviated. So where is this big advantage in aircraft utilization that Apinan claims, and what is the direct result of it? Did they add more total flights? I haven't examined their flight schedules in detail, but certainly there has been no increase in flights to the destinations I'm familar with. So it seems to me that there is zero advantage to any customers in this make-believe increase in aircraft utilization, and a huge disadvantage in customers requiring two or more hours of additional time if they need to transit between DMK and BKK. Even if there was some slight increase in on-time performance, it would be greatly offset by adding huge additional transit times for passengers.

PLEASE, someone get rid of this idiot running / ruining TG. If nothing else the TG PR department should make the fool shut his mouth because everytime he opens it he just makes TG look worse.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The decision to move some domestic operations to DMK, which seems to be the OP's major issue, was reached at a Board of Directors meeting on 14 March 2007. Based on the information available to the public I tend to doubt that Apinan Sumanaseni put forth the motion nor seconded it but probably the vote was unanimous.

Once approved it is everyone employees job to make the best of the situation. This doesn't seem like a major enough issue to tender a resignation over, as some may have suggested. If that happened every time management was unhappy about a board decision here then everyone would have had to resign by now.

One might want to take a closer look at the BoD for the source, and possible resolution, of many of their issues with TG? And again, the current politcal climate, with new people in control, has contributed negatively to many quasi-State owned companies.

I think most people vaguely familiar with the situation acknowledge that the decision to move some domestic operations back to DMK was made at the BoD level and not at the management level. Further, that decision was not made for business, customer nor operational issues.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Soju I agree with your views about the decline of TG and thank certain actions taken are ridiculous and that the communications that are coming out of TG public realtions is very bad spin.
I as well agree with what transpac has written and think that Apinan is just wanting to keep his job and the perks that go with it.
I have made a decision not to travel TG but will monitor what they are doing to see when they rectify their problems.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Not wanting to put any words in your mouth, Transpac, but in reading between the lines one could assume that you are suggesting that Apinan did not want to move to DMK, but that someone else on the THAI BoD, who is politically motivated, put forth the motion to move, and that Apinan didn't state his disagreement or vote against it, but just went along with it because he doesn't want to lose his job. And that now he is just going along with what's already been decided. Well, that makes him nothing more than a puppet president then doesn't it? Someone who doesn't have any guts to stand up for what's right, or to resign in protest, but would rather keep his job and sacrifice his integrity. If this is the case, then I do feel sorry for him on a personal level - perhaps he really needs the money from his job and sees no other way out. I do not mean to attack him on a personal level. But on a professional level he's nothing but a coward in that case. He's also totally worthless being he's nothing more than a puppet. If the THAI president is simply a puppet, then Apinan is totally the wrong man for the job, because what they need more than anything in that case is a good PR man and Apinan has proven to me that he has absolutely zero PR skills.

I've already stated that if the move was indeed forced on THAI, then I can accept that provided that THAI comes forth with some good PR material to explain the move. Calling the move "even more convenient" is exactly the opposite of what they should be saying. This is an outright lie and a total insult to the intelligence of TG customers. A large percentage of TG customers come from abroad and have very little or no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at TG or in Thailand's political arena. And they don't care. Regardless of what the reason is for the move, they want a good explanation to make them feel better and not alienate them. They want an explanation that isn't so transparent as being nothing more than a total lie. Anyone who's had to transfer between BKK and DMK will immediately see Apinan's statement as totally false and thus lose any respect for Apinan and in turn for TG.

First and foremost, TG needs someone with strong PR skills. Secondly, they need someone who can take steps, even if they are largely cosmetic steps, to ease the inconvenience being caused by the bad decision making that is going on. For instance, why didn't TG provide a free shuttle bus between DMK and BKK? They added a shuttle bus to DMK, but it doesn't go to BKK. Sure, there's a city bus, that costs very little, but it isn't designed for passengers with luggage and I've been told it's a real mess with luggage strewn all over the floor of the bus with no room for passengers to get on/off due to the large numbers of transit passengers with luggage. But rather than provide some token help to passengers, Apinan buries his head in the sand and refuses to admit that it's an inconvenience, and even seems sometimes to suggest that there are no transit passengers between BKK and DMK.

Third, TG needs someone who people can look up to and trust and respect. Apinan has lost all credibility and is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the THAI organization. Having talked to numerous TG staff, and hearing reports from others, many of their staff are totally embarrassed with the airline and their inability to make wise decisions and to solve even the simplest of problem. The staff are typically so embarrassed when you bring up one of these issues that they don't even want to talk about it if they can avoid it. I feel that TG staff and TG customers do not respect or trust Apinan and the current BoD.

Put someone in the top position that has some leadership abilities, who can present the good side of TG to the public and employees and who can lead the organization through any difficulties they are experiencing due to political pressure.

This doesn't seem like a major enough issue to tender a resignation over, as some may have suggested.
In my view, this is the single biggest issue of the entire year for TG. Moving all flights to certain destinations away from your one and only hub isn't a big issue? It's a huge issue. There was a thread on FT not too long ago about TG losing as many as 70,000 customers due to their moving to DMK, as well as spending large sums of money for re-opening DMK. What other issue is bigger than this? There are certainly issues that are more important to small groups of individual customers, but no issue that affects such a broad range of customers.

I recall TG saying earlier this year that their domestic routes are not profitable. They make their money on the international routes, due primarily to international customers. Some of these are just international transit passengers at BKK, while some are passengers traveling just to Bangkok. But being Thailand is a huge tourist draw, very large numbers of the passengers are transiting to domestic destinations. These passengers, who are very inconvenienced by the move to DMK, are a large part of TG's profit equation. Thus this issue is a huge issue and certainly deserves Apinan's ousting if he's not willing to step up to the plate and handle the situation better than he's done so far. Lying to your customers in such an insulting manner as calling the move to DMK as "even more convenient" is simply unforgivable in my mind. I for one refuse to allow the president of a company to treat me as such and for me to simply ignore it and act as if nothing happened.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Soju
Someone who doesn't have any guts to stand up for what's right, or to resign in protest, but would rather keep his job and sacrifice his integrity.
Rightly or wrongly, 'Sticking one's head in the sand' is an ominpotent trait in the Land of Smiles. I think the concept of integrity as you describe it (and as I recognise and value), is sadly very rarely found in the world of politics or business in Thailand. Yes some of it is down to the insatiable obsession with material wealth, but I believe some of it is also more deeply rooted in a general philosophy of conflict avoidance.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I fully understand what you're saying and I don't expect most Thai corporations to operate the same as western companies. It would be foolish of me to expect Bangkok Bank, AIS, or any other Thai company who's business is contained within Thailand and who's customer base is primarily Thais to change their business practices to be inline with western standards. If the management of these companies were smart, they'd realize that there are a lot of foreigners wanting to do business with them and so perhaps tailor some of their business towards attracting those customers.

However, my feeling is that THAI is in a unique position and doesn't fall into this category. They are Thai based, but they are a truly global company and foreign customers probably account for a majority of their profits. They, more than any other Thai corporation I can think of, need to realize this and have a president who is very global in his thinking. Internally they will still obviously be a Thai corporation and their internal processes, and political influences will still work the same as other large Thai based businesses. But the face they put forward to the foreign public must be tailored to their global customer base.

If THAI's primary customer base was Thai people, and foreigners made up a negligible portion of their business, then I might make a minor complaint about what they were doing, but I'd realize that I was in the minority and my opinion really wouldn't matter. Apinan's actions would be fully understandable in this sort of a business environment. I never expected THAI to conform totally to global standards, but I do expect them to go at least part way. In general I think they do a good job of this. Overall, I don't have major complaints about their service. It's lacking in a number of areas, but for the price I think it's a good value. My problem is with the top management, namely Apinan, and how they present themselves to and treat their foreign customers. Maybe it's too much to expect Apinan and the rest of the THAI management to realize what a global company they are.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
I agree with you 100% Soju. Whilst I have an understanding & appreciation of Thai culture, I also think that it is completely unacceptable for TG to think that their behaviour - verging on extreme ignorance & arrogance - will get them anywhere they want to be in the global market of competing airlines. They will keep fumbling along and at this rate, slide into oblivion. There is only so far you can get relying on the inherent friendliness of Thai cabin crew.

Essentially I see TG as a company run by spoilt kids as opposed to sensible, business-wise adults. In contrast, Cathay Pacific is a perfect example of a 'grown-up' Asian airline who understand what a brand actually means, and who seek to apply uniformity in the way multiple brand touch points are delivered to the public. Anyway, without going OT and boring you senseless in regard to my opinions about TG marketing strategy (or lack of it), I shall just reiterate the point that I actually agree with you Soju ... And I commend your bravery in sticking your neck out too :-)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm not going to wade into the debate about corporate ethics, but I will note that things are different in quasi-governmental corporations (and that's exactly the problem with quasi-governmental corporations). But I will agree with Soju that certain things written in the passage quoted above are simply false and others grossly misleading:

Originally Posted by President's Message
To make your travel in Thailand even more convenient, I am pleased to announce that the re-opening of Don Mueang International Airport for domestic operations has helped THAI maximise aircraft utilisation and there is less flight congestion. This enables THAI to reduce aircraft turn-around time, which in turn helps increase our overall operation efficiency.
Reopening DMK had nothing to do with making travel in Thailand more convenient. I think we can all agree that that is false. And certainly for anyone connecting between BKK and DMK, it has made travel more inconvenient. For some people on exclusively domestic flights who live closer to DMK, I suppose it may be more convenient to a certain extent.

Now, it may be true that having some operations at DMK has increased aircraft utilization by cutting turnaround times and taxiing times due to less congestion both at DMK and BKK. In a vaccuum, that may be more efficient compared to having the same flights at BKK. But on an operations-wide net net basis, there is absolutely no way that operating out of two airports is more efficient than one. That suggestion is simply false.

I saw a similar attempt to spin the reopening of DMK in Thai's 47th Anniversary "Growing Stronger" mag in seatback pockets. This is an official TG publication and the contents are not attributed to anyone in particular.

Originally Posted by Growing Stonger
Due to the rapid growth of air traffic at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, the Thai Government and civil aviation authorities have reactivated Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport for some domestic operations. And, for the further convenience of passengers using Don Mueang Airport, THAI has opened a City Air Terminal at the Lad Phrao Metro train station.
This one puts the credit (read: blame) for reopening DMK in the right place. But the assertion that it had anything to do with "rapid growth" of air traffic at BKK is absolutely false. It happened because Suvarnabhumi was rushed to open before it was ready and has significant design and construction/execution flaws, both of which almost certainly happened because of corruption in the previous administration. But you can't really say that in a promotional mag, can you?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The main "official" reason given in the past for moving some flights to DMK was to allow fixing the technical problems at BKK. Anyone knows if serious reconstruction work is underway, especially on the runways?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by brunos
The main "official" reason given in the past for moving some flights to DMK was to allow fixing the technical problems at BKK. Anyone knows if serious reconstruction work is underway, especially on the runways?
Funny you should ask. Right after responding here, I put up a new post in this thread regarding what appeared to me to be work on building a third runway, likely part of a plan to fix the ill-constructed/ill-designed ones.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Soju ,

Have you seen today's article in the Bangkok Post questioning why Apinan didn't turn up at the IATA conference in Vancouver when the Presidents of SQ and CX were both there and delivered adresses outlining their vision and plan for the future ?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Funny you should ask. Right after responding here, I put up a new post in this thread regarding what appeared to me to be work on building a third runway, likely part of a plan to fix the ill-constructed/ill-designed ones.
That work has actually been going on for a long time and is part of the official plan to have 4 runways operational.

It did seem to have slowed down after DMK reopened and there didn't seem to be as much going on last couple of times I've seen it, or maybe it was just tea break time..
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Pansted00,

No, I didn't see the article, as I'm not in Thailand at the moment, and couldn't find it on their website either. Not surprising though that Apinan didn't attend, as he was probably too embarrassed to attend. But if he did attend, I'd imagine he'd outline TG's vision of increasing their use of a classic 90-year-old airport. While the rest of the world looks to moving to new modern airports, TG's new motto is "Retro is in".
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Soju
Pansted00,

No, I didn't see the article, as I'm not in Thailand at the moment, and couldn't find it on their website either. Not surprising though that Apinan didn't attend, as he was probably too embarrassed to attend. But if he did attend, I'd imagine he'd outline TG's vision of increasing their use of a classic 90-year-old airport. While the rest of the world looks to moving to new modern airports, TG's new motto is "Retro is in".
Making it also easier for *A passengers connecting to Thailand....
Retro is in....have you seen the retro paint jobs of AA, LH and US? Really cool Then again I just bought an Art Deco house and I am matching the furniture with it.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: Thai
Survanabuhumi Mess from the beginnning

The whole Survanabhumi debacle will go down in aviation history as the greatest mass transport screw up ever.

People are trying to blame it all on Thaksin, however, let us not forget that the design and the idea for the airport was floated 20 years ago and all he and his cronies did was to get paid for the finishing touches. I have heard for years that even the Singapore govt may have paid off successive Thai governements not to finish it so that Singapore could jump ahead as a hub.

DMK was re-opened because firstly SVB was such a screw up from day one, however, there is another dark horse in there. The Thai Airforce gets paid by AOT for the use of DMK and rather handsomely too. Since the Thai airways chairman is ex airforce, it doesn't need a great amount of judgement to put two and two together.

This country is such a contradictory place, and with so many fingers in so many pies, they will never manage to get anything related to transport right. I read the other day about the problems for the train out to the airport and its budgeting. After describing this and that being the problem, the final statement was along the lines of, "the biggest problem is the fact that everything is imported and we have to pay foreign experts to install and maintanin it, this makes up a lot of the cost of the project."

So when all comes to push and shove, some fool who is investigating the construction project wants Thailand (the industrial might that it is) to go head to head with Siemens or whoever it is to build it's own mass transit systems.

Thailand has a wonderful way to always the point about everything. The issue is not where or who constructs the project, but how well and on time it can be produced. No one is forcing Thailand to purchase from overseas, however, it would obviously better to use companies with experience of building such grand infrastructure projects. Survanabhumi was so long in the construction with so many changes of design from the original that it is a dismal flop. Why? Because everyone wanted a piece of the pie and they have certainly had it and eaten it.

Everyone in the country wants and end to traffic jams in BKK, a world class airport, a world class airline and world class infrastructure (anyone seen the trains that travel upcountry in Thailand) but when push comes to shove, the politicians roll out the whole anti foreign sentiment to blame it on them and then get out the keys to the cash box and take it right from under everyones noses. I love this country, but Thai airways will never return to its halcyon days of past until corruption and political interference are removed.

If one remembers, during the discussions about selling Thai airways, an international audit company got to see the books. The amount of discretionary benefits was astounding. Skeletons such as multiple first class flights yearly for life to current and ex board members, comapny paid guaranteed credit cards for same people (with many receipts apparently pertaining to purchases for weddings and personal effects etc) all hiding in the cupboard. The list goes on and on.

Of course the chairman should resign, but it won't change anything. :

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.