Wiki Posts
Search

Illogical TG Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Illogical TG Fares

I'm planning a vacation in January to northern Laos with a my return back to LAX using the famous OZ "C" class fare from BKK. So a need a reasonable o/w fare from LAX to CEI (Chiang Rai, Thailand), which has to route thru BKK. (I will be traveling overland to Luang Prabang to catch a flight back to BKK).

I've noticed some very odd fares from TG. For example, traveling on 1/15/07,

LAX --> CEI o/w with a layover in BKK costs $1123 in coach.

Pricing the SAME flights separately yields,
LAX --> BKK o/w is $720
BKK --> CEI o/w is $90 (unrestricted Y fare, "add-ons not permitted"

(All prices from ITA Software and checked on Expedia)

So why would separate tickets be over $300 cheaper?

Also, how does one buy "premium economy" on LAX -- BKK when travel web sites only give the usual economy, business, first class selections?
(Besides calling Thai Airlines directly of course.)
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Using www.thaiair.com, premium economy comes up as a pricing option - just tried 19 Jan and the LAX-BKK fare in PE quoted at USD $935, economy $714 (H class)

It is the peak travel season to Thailand, so that might explain a part of the differences, but also a through booking might require the fare (higher) fare bucket to be used forboth sectors on a single ticket ie , if you could buy the LAX-BKK in Q, but the BKK-CEI in M, then perhaps the overall ticket would need to be raised to the more expensive M. Not sure.

Just did a dummy booking....even though I selected economy LAX-CEI, the flights were priced at premium economy for the LAX-BKK sector for some reason.

One-way pricing is always a bit of a gouge for airlines, who prefer you travel return.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:24 am

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm planning a vacation in January to northern Laos with a my return back to LAX using the famous OZ "C" class fare from BKK. So a need a reasonable o/w fare from LAX to CEI (Chiang Rai, Thailand), which has to route thru BKK. (I will be traveling overland to Luang Prabang to catch a flight back to BKK).

I've noticed some very odd fares from TG. For example, traveling on 1/15/07,

LAX --> CEI o/w with a layover in BKK costs $1123 in coach.

Pricing the SAME flights separately yields,
LAX --> BKK o/w is $720
BKK --> CEI o/w is $90 (unrestricted Y fare, "add-ons not permitted"

(All prices from ITA Software and checked on Expedia)

So why would separate tickets be over $300 cheaper?

Also, how does one buy "premium economy" on LAX -- BKK when travel web sites only give the usual economy, business, first class selections?
(Besides calling Thai Airlines directly of course.)
It is the same for return fares (at least to Australia)
It was a wooping 38.000 baht more to add PHS-BKK to a F class BKK-SYD-BKK ticket on TG's website. The cost of a separate ticket from PHS to BKK is less than 2.000 baht !
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:13 am

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
I've noticed all sorts of strange pricing when checking online with TG. I almost always have a domestic leg combined with my international ticket, but trying to purchase them online together with my international ticket always seems to result in ridiculous pricing compared to buying the tickets separately. So I simply go to a travel agent who can normally meet or beat the TG online fares for international travel and she can tack on the domestic round-trip for about $60 extra, giving me one ticket. Occasionally when I can't buy my ticket from this travel agent, I just buy the cheapest international ticket I can, and then book online with TG for the domestic portion which is always a lower price than any travel agent for strictly domestic flights. Anyways, I've found it hit-and-miss in finding a travel agent that can add the domestic portion to your international ticket for a good price. I'm guessing that the travel agent needs experience on how to book such tickets with TG. I'd recommend trying to find a travel agent that specializes in TG bookings and see what sort of fares they can give you.

Other strange online fares are business class fares that are cheaper than economy fares, and allowing you to book premium economy fares on flights that have no premium economy, but the fare will also be higher than business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.