Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Possible to pull miles for class upgrade from UAL or USAir?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to pull miles for class upgrade from UAL or USAir?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Possible to pull miles for class upgrade from UAL or USAir?

If I want to upgrade from C class to Royal Silk using miles, can TG pull miles out of my UAL or US Air *A account? How?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 am

unfortunately, that would be a no. There is a slight exception with UA as they have now launched *A upgrade award, but it requires one to buy almost full fare Y. I also don't know if TG is participating on this program.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
TG does no participate, but not with all *A carriers. BTW, C class IS Royal Silk class (biz). Royal Silk Class is the just the new name to replace Royal Executive Class.

The relevant link is below for TG ROP (ie ROP miles to upgrade on other *A), you'd need to check with the UA site for UA miles to upgarde on TG.

http://www.thaiairways.com/Royal_Orc...r_Alliance.htm
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK you can upgrade a C/D/Y/B fare on TG to the next higher class of service using UA/MP miles.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51503,00.html

New Star Alliance Upgrade Awards for Mileage Plus members

It is now easier than ever to travel in first or business class on Star Alliance member airlines with new Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.

Star Alliance is the first airline alliance to allow customers to use the miles earned from one frequent flyer program to upgrade on another airlines flights.

Simply redeem your Mileage Plus miles for electronic upgrades on flights operated by these participating Star Alliance carriers ANA, Asiana, Austrian Airlines Group, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, TAP Portugal and Thai Airways. Additional Star Alliance member airlines will be added in the future.

With new Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, you will enjoy:

1. One-cabin upgrades from eligible fares (C, D, Y, B booking classes) to the next class of service
2. The convenience of electronic upgradesno paper certificates to redeem
3. Confirmed upgrade status
4. Upgrade requests conveniently handled through united.com. Visit Star Alliance upgrades.

Star Alliance Upgrade Award rules

* Upgrades are valid for the next higher class of service; double upgrades are not permitted.
* On three-class aircraft, you may upgrade from paid Economy to Business, or from paid Business to First.
* On two-class aircraft, you may upgrade from paid Economy to Business or First, depending on the service offered by the operating carrier.
* Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are available only from fares booked in C, D, Y, and B, and are subject to capacity controls. Some carriers may impose blackout periods, when upgrade awards are not permitted.
* Upgrade awards may not be used on Mileage Plus award tickets.
* Some Internet sites, such as Priceline and Hotwire, issue tickets that are not upgradeable. Please check with your Internet site for terms and conditions.
* Upgrade awards cannot be used on industry discount, agency discount, free, or award tickets.
* Ticket must be issued in the paid class of service before an upgrade is issued.
* No stopovers are permitted; upgrades are segment based, with one segment per award.
* Request your upgrade through united.com.
* Upgrade awards are for one-segment travel.
* Upgrades are valid only on participating Star Alliance carriers.
* Travel on code share flights -- flights sold by one carrier and operated by another -- is excluded.
* Upgrades must be requested at least 24 hours prior to departure.
* Waitlists are not permitted
* Standby upgrades at the airport are not permitted.
* Miles will accrue based on original class of service ticketed, not on upgraded class of service.
* Seat assignments, special meals, and other such needs must be requested through the operating airline.
* Confirmed upgrades cannot be canceled without canceling the entire segment.
* Travel using Star Alliance Upgrade Awards is subject to the rules and policies of the operating carrier.
* Program rules are subject to change.

Star Alliance upgrade award program FAQs

What is a Star Alliance Upgrade Award?

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards enable you to redeem your Mileage Plus miles for upgrades on flights operated by participating Star Alliance carriers.

As a Mileage Plus member, you are entitled to other benefits of the Star Alliance network. For more information about Star Alliance, visit www.StarAlliance.com for complete program benefits.

What are the key differences between Star Alliance Upgrade Awards and United Mileage Upgrade Awards?

There are several key differences between Star Alliance Upgrade Awards and United Mileage Upgrade Awards:

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are segment-based, while United Mileage Upgrade Awards are based on one-way travel. For example, the itinerary London to Tokyo to Bangkok would require two Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (the first one for London to Tokyo, and the second for Tokyo to Bangkok). In contrast, the itinerary Chicago to San Francisco to Tokyo would require only one United Mileage Upgrade Award.

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards can be used on any participating Star Alliance carrier, while United Mileage Upgrade Awards can only be used on flights marketed and operated by United, United Express or TedSM.

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are available only from fares booked in C, D, Y, and B; United Mileage Upgrade Awards are available on additional fares.

For additional information read the Terms and Conditions of Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.

On what Star Alliance carriers may I book Star Alliance Upgrade Awards using my Mileage Plus Miles?

You may book Star Alliance Upgrade Awards on flights operated by Asiana, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways, ANA, Austrian Airlines Group, LOT Polish Airlines and Lufthansa.

How do I request a Star Alliance Upgrade Award?
You can request an upgrade by visiting Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.

Why is it important to enter passengers' names exactly as they appear on the original carrier's reservation?

When requesting Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, the names must be entered correctly or you will not be able to proceed with the upgrade. Please contact your booking source to validate the exact spelling.

For example, if you entered your name as Jim H. Smith in your original carrier's record of your reservation, you must enter it exactly as Jim H. Smith in your Star Alliance Upgrade Awards request. If you enter any variation, the system will not be able to retrieve your reservation record and you will not be able to proceed with your upgrade.

If you have more than one person in the upgrade request, ALL names must be entered correctly. Please refer to your original carrier's record of your reservation to validate the information.

In order to request Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, does the account holder have to be traveling, or can the account holder book an upgrade for someone else?

When you are requesting and booking Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, the Mileage Plus account holder does not have to be a traveler on the itinerary.

How many passengers can be upgraded on a single itinerary for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award?

The maximum number of customers who can be upgraded on a single itinerary for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award is four. If there are more than four customers on a single itinerary, the itinerary is not eligible for an upgrade.

How do I cancel my Star Alliance Upgrade Awards?

Once confirmed, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards may be cancelled only by canceling the flight reservation. When a reservation is cancelled, the Star Alliance Upgrade Award is cancelled, and the Mileage Plus miles are automatically returned to the member's account. Please contact the operating carrier to cancel your flights.

How do I make changes to my itinerary once my Star Alliance Upgrade Award is confirmed?

Please contact the operating carrier (the airline on which you will be flying) or your travel agent for all changes to your flight(s). Changes may result in cancellation of Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, and the automatic credit of Mileage Plus miles to your Mileage Plus account.

What happens to my Star Alliance Upgrade Award if I missed my Star Alliance flight?

Your award is automatically cancelled and the Mileage Plus miles will be credited back to your Mileage Plus account.

What happens to my Star Alliance Upgrade Award if I am put on another carrier?

Your Star Alliance Upgrade Award only applies to your originally booked flight. If your itinerary changes for any reason, your award is automatically cancelled and the Mileage Plus miles will be credited back to your Mileage Plus account.

What happens to my Star Alliance Upgrade Award if there is a change of aircraft type?

Since different aircraft cabins may not have the same capacity, your Star Alliance Upgrade Award may be cancelled. If this is the case, the Mileage Plus miles would be automatically credited back to your Mileage Plus account.

How do I request other services such as seat assignments and special meals once my Star Alliance Upgrade Award is confirmed?

Please contact the operating carrier (the airline on which you will be flying) for any other services related to your upgraded flight.

What happens to special requests (e.g., for special meals or wheelchairs) that are in my reservation when I book Star Alliance Upgrade Awards?

Special requests may not automatically transfer to your upgraded flights; please contact the operating carrier to ensure that your special requests are in your reservation.

While trying to request a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, I received the error message "You have exceeded the maximum number of attempts."

Please contact your booking source to verify your confirmation number and flight information. You may then log out completely from united.com, close your browser, and try again.

I booked my flight through one airline, but the flight is being operated by a different carrier; can I request Star Alliance Upgrade Awards?

No; Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are not available on code-share flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.