Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change of Equipment BKK-MXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Change of Equipment BKK-MXP

I was looking forward very much to trying Thai's Economy Class on its new A340-500s going from BKK-MXP. As you know, Y class on this plane has a 36" seat pitch, and supposedly, quite comfortable seats. I boarded the plane, and was quite disapppointed at the seat pitch, although the seat itself was quite comfy. I waited for the remaining passengers to board, and was quite surprised when the plane pulled back with so many seats empty! Then, I realized that Thai had switched equipment from an A340-500 to an A340-600. No wonder the seats were so "cramped", and it was with the "normal" 34" seat pitch (I know a lot of airlines offer less). They must have switched the plane at the last minute and could not sell the extra seats. I think the A346 must have about 80 more seats in Y vs. the A345. So, many people got an entire row of 2/4 to themselves.

I wonder...I was going to use some of my points to upgrade this leg from Y to Premium Economy on the A345. With this last-minute equipment change, would Thai have given me Business Class on the A346, or just refunded my points?
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
who knows with TG?!

The mileage for upgrade to Y+ is less than that required for C. Options would appear to be:

a. Sit in econ and sought a refund (most likely)
b. Tried to pay the difference (unlikely for last minute operational changes),or
c. TG would have sat you in C despite you only paying for Y+ (possible)
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The mileage for upgrade to Y+ is less than that required for C. Options would appear to be:

a. Sit in econ and sought a refund (most likely)
b. Tried to pay the difference (unlikely for last minute operational changes),or
c. TG would have sat you in C despite you only paying for Y+ (possible)
I figured out it would be one of the above already, thank you. I was actually looking for someone to reply with some actual experience of what option Thai offered (or enforced).
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
OK. Although this is a slightly different to question to the more general query you initially posed. Can't help with a specific answer in this particular case...cheers.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 29, 2006 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:24 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
When TG substitute A340-500 with A340-600 on BKK-JFK route. Here's what they did.

1. Business passengers who are *G or just plain lucky are seated in F cabin
2. The rest of Business passengers are seats in C cabin
3. Premium Eco passengers who are *G are seated in C cabin
4. The rest of C cabin is filled with premium eco passengers
5. The rest of premium eco got a seat next to them blocked, if possible
6. Regular eco passengers are then seated as spread out as possible.

With 44 more seats in Economy section and 8 seats in F, it was possible to re-seat everybody with reasonable comfort. With either op-up to C or have an empty seat next to them, premium eco passengers should be very comfortable.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this! The system seems fair.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by spk
When TG substitute A340-500 with A340-600 on BKK-JFK route. Here's what they did.

1. Business passengers who are *G or just plain lucky are seated in F cabin
2. The rest of Business passengers are seats in C cabin
3. Premium Eco passengers who are *G are seated in C cabin
4. The rest of C cabin is filled with premium eco passengers
5. The rest of premium eco got a seat next to them blocked, if possible
6. Regular eco passengers are then seated as spread out as possible.

With 44 more seats in Economy section and 8 seats in F, it was possible to re-seat everybody with reasonable comfort. With either op-up to C or have an empty seat next to them, premium eco passengers should be very comfortable.
Last month I flew MXP BKK and TG used the 340-600. They blocked off the F cabin, and simply had premium eco passengers in the C cabin. The C load was pretty light so there was room to accomodate the premium economy pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.