Wiki Posts
Search

Dream award in F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Dream award in F

Thanks to all FT's in advance on help with this one.
I am already planning next years trip which will be an award ticket on *A and will include a stop in BKK before heading to SYD.
From Carfields trip report it appears I can do LAX/KIX/BKK/SYD on Thai Air in first,stopping for a couple of days in BKK(first trip there)before continuing onto SYD.
I am excited to see KIX.There is an exhibit of Renzo Piano's models and sketches at LACMA-I cannot wait to see this airport.
So is this a trip I should plan?It will be all in F I am hoping.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:55 pm

As reported elsewhere in this forum, Thai is apparently replacing its daily LAX-KIX-BKK flight with a 3x/week LAX-BKK non-stop. The non-stop will not offer 1st class.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Rats!Oh well it seems that TG likes to change its mind a lot-so maybe the original route will be restored when I am ready to book.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Be careful that you book flights that actually have the lie flat seats in F.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
From Carfields trip report it appears I can do LAX/KIX/BKK/SYD on Thai Air in first,stopping for a couple of days in BKK(first trip there)before continuing onto SYD.
Are you using United miles for this? Was there a change to the rules that allows BKK as a routing for the SYD reward?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Well yes it would be using UA miles.And I am allowed a stopover on an award flight(doing this in SA lax/ord/eze for 6 nights eze/gig for 5 nights gig/lax)so if Tg flies lax/bkk(with hopefully a stop in kix-but we will have to see on that )and flies Bkk/syd why would I not be able to stopover.
Now I have heard of far more circuitious routes on this board as award flights.
LAX/bkk/eze/lax-which would appear to be rtw for a lot less miles.
And as thethis award would be in F,and I would insist on F on a three class plane,then TG would seem to be the logical choice.
Now If I want to do C then they can put me on AZ=but I really work hard at gathering extra miles for F travel and that is what I want.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Well yes it would be using UA miles.And I am allowed a stopover on an award flight(doing this in SA lax/ord/eze for 6 nights eze/gig for 5 nights gig/lax)so if Tg flies lax/bkk(with hopefully a stop in kix-but we will have to see on that )and flies Bkk/syd why would I not be able to stopover.
Now I have heard of far more circuitious routes on this board as award flights.
LAX/bkk/eze/lax-which would appear to be rtw for a lot less miles.
And as thethis award would be in F,and I would insist on F on a three class plane,then TG would seem to be the logical choice.
Now If I want to do C then they can put me on AZ=but I really work hard at gathering extra miles for F travel and that is what I want.
The carrier flies those routes, but you'll be transiting too many "zones" for a simple award (in the same way that a regular ticket on this route would be painfully expensive). In order to do what you are attempting you'll need to fly lax-bkk on a 120,000 mile F award and then a South Asia to Australia award at 100,000 miles. In other words you can't pass through two geographic regions (as defined by *A, in this case north and south asia) in a single award.

I you look through the *A award rules you'll see "Most direct routing applies."

Given the TG metal that flies LAX-BKK and BKK-SYD/MEL I wouldn't call it a "dream award." You are better looking for availability on SQ or NZ if you want the "dream" experience.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Sorry to hijack your thread bigguy but can I ask how good is F on the non converted 744's? I have an award ticket (BD miles and cash) for a round trip LHR-BKK over Christmas, but I see that the new 'pod' seats are not likely to be on this route for a while. Advice please shall I put my trip back or is the Thai first experience so good I should go old seat or whatever?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

AndrewP thanks for clarifying that (I think )I know NZ would be the "most direct "ticketing-but they have no F class.
AlinLondon-sorry-I have never flown TG.But I bet there are lots of wise folk here who will be helpful.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:39 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by andrewp
Given the TG metal that flies LAX-BKK and BKK-SYD/MEL I wouldn't call it a "dream award." You are better looking for availability on SQ or NZ if you want the "dream" experience.
I know I will get flame by saying this. I am still unable to try the new TG F, because when I booked certain flight, the aircraft was swapped to the older F style. But looking at the trip reports, as well as my own TG F experiences (on older F style), I will say I agree with andrewp, it's not a "dream award." Yes, NZ has no F anymore. Thus from LAX-SYD/MEL, I will take SQ F through SIN. I don't mind to get the new ANA F though, if it's available from LAX-NRT. But certainly, for my personal point of view, TG F overall, is way behind, in terms of inflight service, comfort, and consistency. And I know some regular FTers who love TG would say differently. But, this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited by CGK; Oct 10, 2005 at 5:41 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P
AndrewP thanks for clarifying that (I think )I know NZ would be the "most direct "ticketing-but they have no F class.
Actually, I think United is the most direct route from LAX to SYD and they do have first class. Maybe not your idea of a dream trip, but you can make the trip in coach one time and then United first does seem like a dream

Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.