Wiki Posts
Search

346 in MEL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

346 in MEL

Hi all,

I just did a random search on expertflyer, and it revealed that the M11 flights to/from MEL have been replaced by A346. It appears that the 346 flies here everyday except Tuesdays and Saturdays.

I'm actually travelling to BKK in April, and I've booked myself onto SQ J. Given the much cheaper TG fares, and availability of the new TG product in the form of J on the 346, I'm tempted to change my booking to TG. And TG F doesn't seem that much more expensive than SQ J either so I might just splurge and go on F. Per expertflyer, the A346 is still on MEL flights in April.

Another plus point for me to go onto TG J/F is that ROP has offerred to match my AA Plat status upon my confirming a booking on TG J/F. I am working towards *G on TG next year, and my other alternative was to match onto US/UA Gold and use it for a year while I work myself up to TG Gold.

My question is - should I change my booking to TG J/F due to the above pull factors detailed, or should I remain with SQ given TG's tendency to change equipment, and the opportunity to sample SQ's legendary Raffles Class?

Cheers,
Keith

p/s - please be impartial

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 24, 2005 at 9:54 pm
Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hmm, you said it yourself. The big question is whether TG will actually have an A346 serve that route by the time you are going to travel. There have been so many announcements by TG for locations that will be served by new a/c or with new configs just to retract that later and pull one of the "infamous" equipment changes. The safer - though pricier - bet is SQ.

Maybe (if you can) make two fully refundable bookings (TG and SQ) and decide closer to the actual travel day, after MEL has actually seen a regular TG A346 service for a few weeks/months.

Cheers ...
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:04 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by demue
Maybe (if you can) make two fully refundable bookings (TG and SQ) and decide closer to the actual travel day, after MEL has actually seen a regular TG A346 service for a few weeks/months.

Cheers ...
confirm to do that ! The risk with TG for a change is high , but if you have 2 choices lets say until 10 days bevore departure you chances are much better.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I'm actually baffled as to why MEL gets the 346 ahead of SYD. MEL/SYD rivalry aside, wouldn't TG want to promote its premier products in the main ports first? It's like SQ flying its spacebeds to MAN ahead of LHR.

At the moment, both expertflyer and TG's website are showing the 346 for TG981/982 from now till April, and beyond. But I'm monitoring them closely.

Right now I've booked myself onto both SQ and TG. I'd love to sample SQ's raffles class service but the possibility of TG's 346 at a much cheaper fare is too hard to resist!

edited to add - The TG office in MEL has advised that the 346 will be a permanent replacement for the M11. However when quizzed as to last minute equipment changes - the agent on the phone said that it can happen to any flight on any airline. :S

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 28, 2005 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:36 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
SYD needs capacity of the 747-400. The retrofitted 7443 will be deployed to SYD once available. I feel sorry for the people in the back, though, because the 747-400 will not get the PTV in economy.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spk
I feel sorry for the people in the back, though, because the 747-400 will not get the PTV in economy.
Welcome to a LH Y cabin on all a/c types. And no they don't care that pax would like it as loads are very good anyway.

Cheers ...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by QF009
It's like SQ flying its spacebeds to MAN ahead of LHR.
And so we bl**dy well should !. .

Anything of quality is wasted on the spoilt Shandy Drinkers down South.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
And so we bl**dy well should !. .

Anything of quality is wasted on the spoilt Shandy Drinkers down South.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by QF009
Hi all,

I just did a random search on expertflyer, and it revealed that the M11 flights to/from MEL have been replaced by A346. It appears that the 346 flies here everyday except Tuesdays and Saturdays.

I'm actually travelling to BKK in April, and I've booked myself onto SQ J. Given the much cheaper TG fares, and availability of the new TG product in the form of J on the 346, I'm tempted to change my booking to TG. And TG F doesn't seem that much more expensive than SQ J either so I might just splurge and go on F. Per expertflyer, the A346 is still on MEL flights in April.

Another plus point for me to go onto TG J/F is that ROP has offerred to match my AA Plat status upon my confirming a booking on TG J/F. I am working towards *G on TG next year, and my other alternative was to match onto US/UA Gold and use it for a year while I work myself up to TG Gold.

My question is - should I change my booking to TG J/F due to the above pull factors detailed, or should I remain with SQ given TG's tendency to change equipment, and the opportunity to sample SQ's legendary Raffles Class?

Cheers,
Keith

p/s - please be impartial

Having just returned from BKK today, I agree you should be concerned. An example: TG is advertising a new route to Moscow in November - SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT APPROVAL. This means that if the THAI Government allows TG to use its precious cash to take possession of these new planes the route will go ahaead, If not - no new route!
With the deficit at TG going out of sight, there is a very good chance the deliveries will not take place - in this fiscal year.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:31 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
The delivery of the remaining 345 and 346 has been confirmed in a THAI press release. No delay. That's a very good news.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmolony
Having just returned from BKK today, I agree you should be concerned. An example: TG is advertising a new route to Moscow in November - SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT APPROVAL. This means that if the THAI Government allows TG to use its precious cash to take possession of these new planes the route will go ahaead, If not - no new route!
With the deficit at TG going out of sight, there is a very good chance the deliveries will not take place - in this fiscal year.

I'm sure MEL-BKK is a very established route. Although the schedules are a little haphazard.

Look out for MD11s on that route in December though. It's 346 all the way till April except December for some unfathomable reason.

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 30, 2005 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
What dates and what flights in December will get the 346?
I am currently booked from BKK-MEL in December (21) but because I want to avoid the MD-11 I have got the flight via SYD to get the 14 F seat version of the 747.
If they have the 346 sometime arrounf Dec 21 I'd much rather take that directly.
Can anyone advise me on this?
fm747
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:54 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I think the Golden Rule when flying TG is never believe what they tell you about the equipment, until you're sat in the seat.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately for the month of December till the 27th you're either getting MD11s or the 747s which go via SYD. From Dec 28th to the first 2 weeks of Jan 06, it's EQV. After that, it's the 346 for the direct flights. This is sourced from expertflyer.

Over and above that, I second what MAN Flyer said. Could be worth risking it if u've never tried TG before though as I've heard their inflight service is awesome regardless of equipment.

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 30, 2005 at 8:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.