Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

JFK-BKK in Royal Silk Class... advice and speculation, please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Afternoon,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Thailand for a much needed holiday at the beginning of May. We booked Business Class (Royal Silk Class) tickets using United miles (note to those interested: there seemed to be LOTS of award ticket availability in business class, at least at the beginning of May).

We have a couple of questions that were hoping the gurus on this forum might be able to shed some light on:

1- The Thai website indicates Complimentary airport transfers in Bangkok by luxury limousine for full fare passengers ("C" class) travelling on the intercontinental route (during the promotional period). By traveling on an award ticket, will we be eligible? I saw the post about first class limo use on an award ticket. What do you imagine the policy will be with business class award tickets?

2- Will we be allowed to use any airport lounges while traveling on an award business class ticket? Again, the website says Use of premium class airport lounges in THAIs major on-line destinations, plus conditional use of lounges of other Star Alliance airline members around the world. If we can use the lounges on an award ticket, which ones and what might we expect at such lounges?

3- The Thai website indicates that there is 115 AC PC power available. Is expected to be at each seat? Will I need an adaptor of some sort (I have an American Apple PowerBook)?

4- Any speculation on what type of in-flight service to expect in Royal Silk Class? We have traveled in United Business Class before. How will Thais service compare? We had heard horror stories about Thai Business class from LA to BKK, but it sounds as though Royal Silk class will be much better. How about the seats? Better or worse?

I certainly understand that the answers to many of these questions are We just dont know, but I would certainly value speculation on the part of members of this forum.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eric3333
1- The Thai website indicates Complimentary airport transfers in Bangkok by luxury limousine for full fare passengers ("C" class) travelling on the intercontinental route (during the promotional period). By traveling on an award ticket, will we be eligible? I saw the post about first class limo use on an award ticket. What do you imagine the policy will be with business class award tickets?
I'm betting "no" but a quick email to TG should answer the question for you. There's an @earthlink.net email address listed on the website for the US reservations office. They are very responsive.

2- Will we be allowed to use any airport lounges while traveling on an award business class ticket? Again, the website says Use of premium class airport lounges in THAIs major on-line destinations, plus conditional use of lounges of other Star Alliance airline members around the world. If we can use the lounges on an award ticket, which ones and what might we expect at such lounges?
I've always been afforded lounge access on award tickets. Per star alliance rules you should be allowed access to any *A business class lounge simply by presenting your C/J class BP.

3- The Thai website indicates that there is 115 AC PC power available. Is expected to be at each seat? Will I need an adaptor of some sort (I have an American Apple PowerBook)?
Assume that there will be power at each seat. Be sure to bring along the actual 3 prong cable that plugs into your AAPL power brick as the outlet may not be in a place that will allow you to plug the brick directly in with the flip-up prongs (powerbook people will know what this means).

4- Any speculation on what type of in-flight service to expect in Royal Silk Class? We have traveled in United Business Class before. How will Thais service compare? We had heard horror stories about Thai Business class from LA to BKK, but it sounds as though Royal Silk class will be much better. How about the seats? Better or worse?
Most of the horror stories relate to the quality of the seats and aircraft. You'll probably find TG service to be well above that which you are used to on any US carrier. Expect warm, kind, and attentive service and you won't be disappointed. I can't comment on what to expect meal-wise, but it will likely be better than what you are used to.

I'm jealous... I really want to go back to Thailand (and I've only been home a week)! Have fun!!
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:32 am

See Other Threads Discussing The New Plane & New Seats

I am flying BKK-JFK in Dec. There are a few threads discussing the new flight & new seats they are using. I think the seat pitch is 60 inches, which is 5 to 10 inches more than their old busniess class. Thai may have a business class lounge and first class lounge, and am not sure if they will let us use the better lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.