Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Smile merging with THAI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:23 pm

I would like to know if flying domestic with Thai Smile at BKK airport, There is a lounge for economy passenger access a lounge like Bangkok Airways while waiting for their flight.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I would like to know if flying domestic with Thai Smile at BKK airport, There is a lounge for economy passenger access a lounge like Bangkok Airways while waiting for their flight.
Thai Airways has a domestic lounge at BKK. Access requires TG Gold status or full fare economy ticket * on Thai Smile. Unlike Bangkok Airways, a regular economy ticket does not offer access. The TG lounge does accept Priority Pass though. ✈️

* Thai Smile Plus.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:18 pm

The REAL reason cited for the merge is to maximise the aircraft utility.

TG wants to open new routes that it has license/permits to land but these are low-capacity routes and they just want to make use of WE narrow body aircrafts but then cannot bc WE does not own the permit to land at these new international routes.

Whereas, there are some 6-7 hour gap where their wide-body planes can also just take on round-trip domestic route to fill the gap in the market. But right now bc they’re using these aircrafts on low-demand routes such as KUL, they would likely swap KUL for small narrow body for CNX or HKT for wide-body aircrafts.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pandalama
The REAL reason cited for the merge is to maximise the aircraft utility.

TG wants to open new routes that it has license/permits to land but these are low-capacity routes and they just want to make use of WE narrow body aircrafts but then cannot bc WE does not own the permit to land at these new international routes.

Whereas, there are some 6-7 hour gap where their wide-body planes can also just take on round-trip domestic route to fill the gap in the market. But right now bc they’re using these aircrafts on low-demand routes such as KUL, they would likely swap KUL for small narrow body for CNX or HKT for wide-body aircrafts.
in short: they found out that the separation never made any sense...
kittiyut and SKT-DK like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by NoY
Real Business Class on domestic flights again - hopefully!
Don't count on it. TG is likely to follow the UA/AC/LH format for service, meaning no full service on the narrow bodies for flights less than 90 minutes. Seats likely to remain as is. No need to do more. The return of lounge access, *A perks , especially checkin at BKK will be enough to attract business class pax. Bangkok Airlines and Air Asia are not competitors in the niche.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
in short: they found out that the separation never made any sense...
True and if the airline's management had some comme sense at the time, it would have saved itself a mess.
The model was all the rage a decade ago, promoted by US "experts", These were the same idiots that gave us United's Ted and Air Canada's Zip, and Tango.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Don't count on it. TG is likely to follow the UA/AC/LH format for service, meaning no full service on the narrow bodies for flights less than 90 minutes. Seats likely to remain as is. No need to do more. The return of lounge access, *A perks , especially checkin at BKK will be enough to attract business class pax. Bangkok Airlines and Air Asia are not competitors in the niche.

True and if the airline's management had some comme sense at the time, it would have saved itself a mess.
The model was all the rage a decade ago, promoted by US "experts", These were the same idiots that gave us United's Ted and Air Canada's Zip, and Tango.
Words are saying that they will bring back wide bodies to only Chiang Mai and Phuket just to "increase aircraft utility" as these destinations can fill the 5 hour gap for aircrafts that would otherwise be sitting still during the day. This is basically a perfect fit the moment TG carries more "medium haul" flights 3-6 hours in duration. So Biz class may come back in some form or another (but not sure whether it would be marketed differently to WE's current Smile Plus). I hope they at least change Smile Plus to slightly larger Biz seat (non-lie flat) in 2-2 config as you know. Hi-so Thais like the distinction!

Yes, the creation of Thai Smile was very stupid but it was inline with industry's golden recipe back then for airlines to be "group of airlines". Like LH and its Austrian and Swiss. Or Singapore with its Scoot and Silk. Thai Airways was supposed to have "Nok" and Thai Smile to be just like SQ.
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Words are saying that they will bring back wide bodies to only Chiang Mai and Phuket just to "increase aircraft utility" as these destinations can fill the 5 hour gap for aircrafts that would otherwise be sitting still during the day. .
I think those were the main destinations for wide bodies precovid as well....have never experienced any wide body to other domestic destination...
precovid there were up to 6-8 wide bodies every day flying to HKT and CNY (incl. 747) beside some narrow bodies...guess they would have to extend their fleet to reach these numbers again
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by BinSabai; Apr 4, 2023 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Words are saying that they will bring back wide bodies to only Chiang Mai and Phuket just to "increase aircraft utility" as these destinations can fill the 5 hour gap for aircrafts that would otherwise be sitting still during the day. This is basically a perfect fit the moment TG carries more "medium haul" flights 3-6 hours in duration. So Biz class may come back in some form or another (but not sure whether it would be marketed differently to WE's current Smile Plus). I hope they at least change Smile Plus to slightly larger Biz seat (non-lie flat) in 2-2 config as you know. Hi-so Thais like the distinction!

Yes, the creation of Thai Smile was very stupid but it was inline with industry's golden recipe back then for airlines to be "group of airlines". Like LH and its Austrian and Swiss. Or Singapore with its Scoot and Silk. Thai Airways was supposed to have "Nok" and Thai Smile to be just like SQ.
While I agree that the idea was silly and that it was following industry trends at the time, I do not think the comparison to LH/OS/LX is entirely fair as those were acquisitions. It was more akin towards SK’s ridiculous adventure with Snowflake, for those who remember that.

I think those were the main destinations for wide bodies precovid as well....have never experienced any wide body to other domestic destination...
precovid there were up to 6-8 wide bodies every day flying to HKT and CNY (incl. 747) beside some narrow bodies...guess they would have to extend their fleed to reach these numbers again
KBV had A330s scheduled regularly as well on mainline TG. We had the entire business class cabin for the two of us on occasion, which was kind of interesting
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
precovid there were up to 6-8 wide bodies every day flying to HKT and CNY (incl. 747) beside some narrow bodies...guess they would have to extend their fleet to reach these numbers again
CNX

I have flown many times preCovid BKK-CNX on B747 and 747. If I had an award flight in business class to BKK, then I could fly in J to Chiang Mai at no added cost. 😊
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
CNX

I have flown many times preCovid BKK-CNX on B747 and 747. If I had an award flight in business class to BKK, then I could fly in J to Chiang Mai at no added cost. 😊
sorry misspelling....CNX...was also many times on the 747, usually in one of the F seats...
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
sorry misspelling....CNX...was also many times on the 747, usually in one of the F seats...
Same, always fun chatting to the surprised cabin crew when doing an immediate turn around
Old Apr 6, 2023, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Same, always fun chatting to the surprised cabin crew when doing an immediate turn around
immediate turn around?
not for me...I always had a couple of work-filled days in our factory in Lamphun
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
immediate turn around?
not for me...I always had a couple of work-filled days in our factory in Lamphun
In 2005 looking to gain ROP Gold . One period I did 2x in the same day BKK-CNX-BKK before flying to HAN! Fun times…

restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In 2005 looking to gain ROP Gold . One period I did 2x in the same day BKK-CNX-BKK before flying to HAN! Fun times…

and from the First class seats on a Jumbo downgrade to the cattle class seat on the bloody old A300-600....even more amazing
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
and from the First class seats on a Jumbo downgrade to the cattle class seat on the bloody old A300-600....even more amazing
Aaahhh the good old AB6 with its ancient J seats - brings back memories!
Thai-Kiwi, joy16 and BinSabai like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.