Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Smile merging with THAI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thai Smile merging with THAI

guess this will improve the privileges for *A Gold passengers and simplify many things

Thai Smile-THAI merger 'to cut losses' (bangkokpost.com)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
guess this will improve the privileges for *A Gold passengers and simplify many things

Thai Smile-THAI merger 'to cut losses' (bangkokpost.com)

Mrs TK just mentioned this to me - reported on a Thai language news site
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am not sure how a TG-WE merger would help Thai Airways financially, but it certainly would help me as a UA flier. Right now I get no UA flight segment or miles credit for all my (domestic) flights on Thai Smile. I would also be able to access the Thai lounges without pulling out my Priority Pass card. 😊
SAT Lawyer, BinSabai and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I am not sure how a TG-WE merger would help Thai Airways financially, but it certainly would help me as a UA flier. Right now I get no UA flight segment or miles credit for all my (domestic) flights on Thai Smile. I would also be able to access the Thai lounges without pulling out my Priority Pass card. 😊
exactly!
for most *A fliers with status....except for me, who has still TG Platinum, I can also currently access lounge on all Thai Smile flights...
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:02 am

With M&M I get miles credited, +20kg and priority boarding on all WE flights (also on non-interlining flights), but no lounge access. Seems to be a deal between LHG and TG/WE.

We will see if things will get better after the merger or if TG/WE will find a way to not provide all the *G benefits.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Cost savings must be in labor or vendor contracts. Unusual if so, but possible I guess
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Cost savings must be in labor or vendor contracts. Unusual if so, but possible I guess
Also maybe THAI international ‘profit’ from longhaul will cover some of the very cheap domestic fares on Smile (THB1250 ~ US35) as they need to compete in local market
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:58 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Real Business Class on domestic flights again - hopefully!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Real Business Class on domestic flights again - hopefully!
that has likely nothing to do with the merge!
it depends whether TG sends its wide body aircrafts between long haul flights again on popular domestic routes (CNX, HKT) like before Covid and that is probably just a matter of time...
the wide body aircraft have real business class seats; I do not think that they will change the seats in the narrow body aircrafts...
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:13 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BinSabai
that has likely nothing to do with the merge!
it depends whether TG sends its wide body aircrafts between long haul flights again on popular domestic routes (CNX, HKT) like before Covid and that is probably just a matter of time...
the wide body aircraft have real business class seats; I do not think that they will change the seats in the narrow body aircrafts...
I take your point (& had already assessed that narrow & wide bodies would be likely used at varying times of year) but for me Business Class service on a 75/90 minute flight isn't just about wide body aircraft or seats. I had never even for a second thought that seats in existing narrow body aircraft would be re-fitted with something else.

Being served on a proper table set up, presented with a reasonable snack/meal (not in a cardboard box!) & using real glassware, crockery & table ware is important too. Especially at TG prices!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Perhaps they have realised that they can be a LCC or at least a hybrid one and remain in the alliance. NZ started this trend and have been this way for a long time without creating unnecessary overheads. AV more recently have even taken it up a notch by unbundling long haul travel.

The *A Connecting Partner model was a stupid idea to begin with. It perhaps makes more sense to a stand-alone carrier but then again, you don't need the alliance memership to form partnerships with any airlines in the world.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
This would have come in very handy when I was planning a trip to Laos. Could have gotten an award all the way through instead of being on separate tickets.
NoY and reggiekush like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
The distinction between these two airlines always seemed like a farce to me anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
This would have come in very handy when I was planning a trip to Laos. Could have gotten an award all the way through instead of being on separate tickets.
Will be HUGE for my constant back-and-forth between YYZ-UTH (Udon Thani).
Explorer8939 and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:28 am

I wasn't able to use THAI lounge last year when traveling on domestic smile flights, boarding process was chaotic. Looking forward to seeing improvements for my trip later this year.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.