Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUP1 questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have not heard anything about this automatic extension and I also doubt that there would be an extension. I used my remaining PUP for upgrading 2 cattle class tickets to Europe in J for me and my wife in Sept/Oct
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Gosh it's such a hassle to get other fares from the "flexi" fare buckets that are eligible to GUP1 on their website. As usual, it's impossible to select H and Q manually. So I basically need to wait for the cheapo fares (up to T) to get booked first or directly go for the full flex fare bucket... And I'm so lazy to call them to dictate my itinerary, it's going to take forever...
And by the way, the multi-city booking tool doesn't even allow booking full flex tickets - it defaults to the cheapest eco fare... Not GUP1-friendly at all.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Thanks! I'll try to preventively book some tickets. It mildly annoys me to mobilize some cash so soon as my holiday plans aren't fixed yet...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Disinto
Gosh it's such a hassle to get other fares from the "flexi" fare buckets that are eligible to GUP1 on their website. As usual, it's impossible to select H and Q manually. So I basically need to wait for the cheapo fares (up to T) to get booked first or directly go for the full flex fare bucket... And I'm so lazy to call them to dictate my itinerary, it's going to take forever...
And by the way, the multi-city booking tool doesn't even allow booking full flex tickets - it defaults to the cheapest eco fare... Not GUP1-friendly at all.
I usually had to book with local THAI office to get Q fare, and then argue with them to not charge me fee for ‘assistance’ since it wasn’t possible to do online….
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Disinto
Thanks! I'll try to preventively book some tickets. It mildly annoys me to mobilize some cash so soon as my holiday plans aren't fixed yet...
I could always easily change dates of upgraded tickets without any additional fees
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:36 am
Original Poster

I thought they always levy the 1750 THB (or so?) fee to amend award tickets?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Called yesterday as I was super annoyed at trying to find the right tix for a multi-city itinerary.
Everything went well, and they can now send a link to pay online instead of dictating your CC details over the phone.
However:
- Since there’s no TG metal anymore for BKK-HKT, you’re subjected to Thai Smile fare conditions. No business (of course), which means 20 kg of luggage and also 500 THB rebooking fee in case of change. Ridiculous.
- More shockingly, the agent told me there’s a new tax for GUP that got into effect on 11 July midnight… I couldn’t believe my ears when she said I had to cough up an extra 15k THB to apply the GUP1. I refused and she went back to the revenue team. They wouldn’t budge. I ended up paying anyway as the total value is still around twice cheaper than competitors on this sector, especially during the holiday period.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disinto Oh dear, that is bad news… Thanks for the update anyway.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:36 am

If TG are raising the prices of the multiple fees that they charge on ROP ticketing, it really is incumbent upon them to publish those prices rather than surprise ROP members at the last minute when final payment is calculated.

Seems like yet another devaluation of the the ROP programme whose participants are sometimes written to as "Dear valued member"

Service fees currently on their website refer to various applicable dates in 2019....https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...ice_Fees.page?

Last edited by 11277m; Jul 13, 2022 at 1:41 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:47 am
Original Poster

I agree... This was a bittersweet feeling.
And guess what? My second GUP1 expired, unlike what the call center said @BinSabai you were right!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Ok I revise my stance. I see now again 2 GUP1 on my account: 1 due to my Gold renewal on 12 Jul and 1 that got automatically extended from 12 Jul 2022 to 12 Jul 2023. So the call center was actually correct. I'm impressed... That's some good freebies they're still offering, minus the new "tax policy"...
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll be interested to see what happens on 31 Dec 22: I think I will get a 1 year extension to my TG Gold, and also an an extension for unused GUP1.
Possibly even the 50% award…

All that said, as my travel patterns change/reduce it is unlikely I will meet an on going requalification requirements, and so will probably move on from ROP.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
My GUP1 expires in May 2023. So need to get cracking to use it. My points expire in Dec 2023.
Problem is the tickets that are eligible for GUP1 regularly crack 2k AUD or more.
And the points aren't enough to fly business to India.
They've made it so difficult nowadays.
Will try the call centre in Sydney and see how I go.
Thai-Kiwi and BinSabai like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aditya1974
My GUP1 expires in May 2023. So need to get cracking to use it. My points expire in Dec 2023.
Problem is the tickets that are eligible for GUP1 regularly crack 2k AUD or more.
And the points aren't enough to fly business to India.
They've made it so difficult nowadays.
Will try the call centre in Sydney and see how I go.
please let us know
would like to know whether it is worth to call or just a waste of time...
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
15 minutes on hold at 9am this morning to the Sydney number then prompted to leave a voicemail.
Tried 1300 number and no one picked up after 8 minute mark. Had to disconnect for a work meeting.
Such is thai! Charging 2k a ticket to BKK in economy but still no customer service team.
Will try again, tomorrow. I am reluctant to phone Bangkok due to concerns over costs/English/pragmatic nature of local agents in AU, but that may be my only choice.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
please let us know
would like to know whether it is worth to call or just a waste of time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.