Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUP1 questions

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
GUP1 questions

A GUP1 is applicable on an entire ticket, right?
So if I book say a CDG-BKK-DPS // DPS-BKK-CDG in Y on all sectors and use one GUP1 (I have two left), all 4 sectors will be upgraded to J, correct?

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Disinto
A GUP1 is applicable on an entire ticket, right?
So if I book say a CDG-BKK-DPS // DPS-BKK-CDG in Y on all sectors and use one GUP1 (I have two left), all 4 sectors will be upgraded to J, correct?

Thanks!
Yes I have done this many times.

Just be sure the economy booking class is Q or better. That might require a travel agent or THAI office. Some so-called ‘Flexi’ fares book into T or K, which used to be OK for GUP, but no more since 2105 or thereabouts.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:44 am

You beat me to it, TK, but here's my reply anyway....

Yes, GUP can be applied to all four sectors if they are on one ticket. The original economy ticket needs to be in Q class or above (many of the current website fares are not), and it books into J class so that needs to be available too. Best to phone or email either your local TG office or Bangkok to check it's all possible before booking, to avoid disappointment.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: TG
Yes, I have been doing this for many years. Most recently I booked LHR-BKK-MEL return trip for later this year.

I have always booked via ROP support, usually by telephone but since covid happened the office is closed and it is by email. Usually get swift response. Just to make sure upgrades are available on my chosen dates.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:51 am

Note that stopover in BKK is permitted. So long as one ticket GUP1 will work.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Thank you folks! I thought so but wanted to be 100% sure. I may try my luck for a J to F upgrade...
I have 2 GUP1 to use before July 2022 so I'll need to move quick.

Cheers!
Old May 31, 2022, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greynose
Yes, I have been doing this for many years. Most recently I booked LHR-BKK-MEL return trip for later this year.

I have always booked via ROP support, usually by telephone but since covid happened the office is closed and it is by email. Usually get swift response. Just to make sure upgrades are available on my chosen dates.
If I remember, GUP1 allows upgrading to a revenue travel class as opposed to non rev. So you would be upgraded to J (not the non rev business award class, forgot the code). So as long as you have paid business class seats available, shouldn't be an issue, no?

EDIT: 11277m mentioned it's indeed J there.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:46 am

Thank you folks! I thought so but wanted to be 100% sure. I may try my luck for a J to F upgrade...
I have 2 GUP1 to use before July 2022 so I'll need to move quick.

Cheers!
Hi, I believe you only need to make a booking not actually fly before the expiry date.

Also I think there are special rules still in place to extend validity of complimentary upgrades if I have read this correctly https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...er_status.page

You can't do a double upgrade to F. From the website: "Upgrades are to the next higher class of service only. Double class upgrades are not permitted."
Old May 31, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greynose
Hi, I believe you only need to make a booking not actually fly before the expiry date.

Also I think there are special rules still in place to extend validity of complimentary upgrades if I have read this correctly https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...er_status.page

You can't do a double upgrade to F. From the website: "Upgrades are to the next higher class of service only. Double class upgrades are not permitted."
Indeed. I was planning on booking J to fly F. The problem is that there are so few planes... I don't think I eventually want to try.
Thanks for the validity extension - will do it now!
Old May 31, 2022, 4:26 am

Indeed. I was planning on booking J to fly F. The problem is that there are so few planes... I don't think I eventually want to try.
Thanks for the validity extension - will do it now!
I think there are only 3 aircraft with F at the moment, all 777W's and all seem to be used on BKK-Europe routes, so as you say there isn't much F availability for the forseeable future.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I just used two PUP, which will expire in August this year for upgrade to J from BKK to Europe
I needed to purchase Q fare, which is not so cheap, over 50k THB and got J class
I did it through a travel agency; even Platinum hotline is silent at the moment....
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Just a small note: although GUP books into J, mileage earning remains with the underlying economy fare basis.

See the example from my resurrected GUP Q->J

BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Just a small note: although GUP books into J, mileage earning remains with the underlying economy fare basis.

See the example from my resurrected GUP Q->J
of course...if you let them credit mileage into the ROP account

but if you change to another *A program, sometimes you get the J-mileage (happened to me)
Thai-Kiwi and eqeqeqx like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:17 am
Original Poster

GUP1 expiry question

Hi all
My ROP account indicates 2 GUP1 award credits expiring on 12 Jul 2022 (presumably one credited in 2020 and one credited in 2021). I just called Thai Call Center and after a lot of efforts, they confirmed that the credits will be extended until 12 Jul 2023 without actions needed from me.
Knowing that the staff was initially non knowledgeable about that topic combined with the fact that my ROP account doesn’t show any extension doesn’t make me feel too good.

Can you confirm this auto-extension story?

In addition, they told me that I have 50% redemption discount credits still available (I didn’t even remember!)
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Up! THanks lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.