Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in twice for same flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Checking in twice for same flight?

In September, I’m flying BKK to CNX on Thai airways economy. They allow 20 kilos luggage. I’m coming from the U.S. with 23 kilos in 2 suitcases, plus a carryon. Because it is a domestic flight, Thai Airways rules won’t allow me to pay excess baggage in advance. I think that paying at check in is going to be $70-$80. I have 5 hours between the time that I land on Singapore Airlines and when the flight to Chiangmai leaves. That probably gives me enough time to take the train from the airport to the train station, ship one bag on the train, and go back to the airport to catch my flight. My other option is to buy an additional ticket on the same flight for $20, which also allows 20 kilo bag limit. Can I check in twice, checking in one bag per check in? I realize that I will also have to give both boarding passes at the gate, so one bag isn’t taken off the plane. Will the airline let me do this? If not, I’ll go with option #1.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
No, you wont be able to have a duplicate of yourself.

Maybe buy a Premium Economy ticket? TG’s flights domestically are being operated by Thai Smile (WE) - although just paying the excess baggage fee might be cheaper iverall

Or consider another carrier that allows extra bags in advance like Nok Air etc

Sending 1 bag on the train is huge inconvenience to me for many reasons - around the time/effort

Personally I like to keep things simple!

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 17, 2022 at 11:27 am
Old May 17, 2022, 11:37 am
Original Poster

I’m going to my house in Chiangmai, which is about 10 minutes away from the train station. I’ll probably be driving around Chiangmai the next day anyway, so stopping there wouldn’t be a big deal. I would have taken the train but the only day train leaves at the same time I arrive from Singapore. The night trains start at 6 but after spending the night at Seattle and a 14 hour layover at Changi airport, the idea of not being able to sleep on a train doesn’t appeal to me. I’ll be at the airport at least 5 hours early and wouldn’t be doing anything but sitting around, waiting for the flight.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.