Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chargeback rejected

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
GDPR is not quite a red herring, but it is a red-tinted herring. Presuming for purposes of this discussion that it somehow applies to OPs account, it is true that GDPR would apply to processing the data related to this transaction for collections purposes such as outsourcing for routine collections or to a credit rating agency to warn others. The customer's consent ends the discussion and that is where this all ends presuming that OP's card issuer is GDPR-compliant. Surely it's contract *t&c" will expressly include the customer's consent toi the specific data processing. But, even if the card issuer is remiss, a legitimate, necessary & balanced approach passes muster, it being one of the primary reasons to collect the data in the first place.

The advice you have given has now run the gamut from advising not to pay to relying on GDPR in the hopes that the card issuer will not pursue you.
Hear hear - and that is exactly the point I couldn’t be bothered typing up.. Famous Churchill quotes and all
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I was wondering this.

Op where are you based and what country is your Revoult account registered to?
Based in the UK, UK Revolut account, so yes technically still EU.

The chargeback response deadline from when Revolut replied to Thai is this week, so I'll have an update soon on if it's been successful this time around...

​​​​​​ If it isn't I am not sure of my next steps. Section 75 doesn't apply I don't think since Revolut isn't a credit card.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The advice you have given has now run the gamut from advising not to pay to relying on GDPR in the hopes that the card issuer will not pursue you.
This not what I am saying.
Of course the card issueing bank may pursue the customer, who refused to pay the balance on a fraudulent representment charge.
However, if the customer disputes the claim, the bank has to pass the GDPR red herring to be allowed to report that behaviour to a credit rating agency.
Moreover, I doubt that the bank is too interested to run through a full lawsuit - potentially having to reveal the inner workings of the credit card chargeback processes.

Surely it's contract *t&c" will expressly include the customer's consent toi the specific data processing.
Sorry, but I have never seen a T&Cs in the EU, where a customer consents that the bank may report disputed claims to a credit rating agency.
Please have a closer look at the T&Cs at EU card issuers! Any bank trying to write up such T&C may become liable to call of orders (Abmahnung).
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Based in the UK, UK Revolut account, so yes technically still EU.

The chargeback response deadline from when Revolut replied to Thai is this week, so I'll have an update soon on if it's been successful this time around...

​​​​​​ If it isn't I am not sure of my next steps. Section 75 doesn't apply I don't think since Revolut isn't a credit card.
Send Revoulut a message/email asking them to look at this/deal with the issue. Tell them if they fail to do so (and give them a date) you will make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

LINK

I have the Revoult app here (US based). Ive had my frustrations with them.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Revolut has promised me an update on Monday.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:36 am
Original Poster

My chargeback was successful now so the money is now back in today.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Great it worked out.
Dan1113 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Adding my experience to this thread...

I'm in Australia. I had booked flights in October 2019 for travel between here and Europe in June/July 2020. Booked through a third-party website using a Visa Debit card. Not one of my premium cards, just an ordinary one.

After Thai cancelled everything on my itinerary, I contacted the website to request a refund. I contacted them in May, and then again in June. I only ever got generic auto-responses telling me to be patient.

After three more months of radio silence, I got fed up and lodged a chargeback dispute on September 5th.

Today (October 2nd) I finally received an email followup from the booking website. They said I was entitled to a full refund, less a $100 "processing fee" , but that refunds involving Thai may take "180 days or longer" to process. They also added: "Our finance team has advised that you have started a chargeback dispute which will be denied, as we have to follow airline refund procedure in this instance. Please advise once you have withdrawn the chargeback so we can proceed with processing your refund."

I was never going to cave to their demand for me to withdraw my chargeback, since I know my rights under Australian consumer laws. And I will believe that my chargeback is going to be denied if my bank tells me as much - not the merchant! But it turns out I've already had the last laugh. I just checked my account and the chargeback credit had already landed on September 23rd! I got my full amount back, without copping a $100 deduction.

Last edited by FlyingJoy; Oct 1, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that the third-party vendor's t&c included the $100 fee, had it refunded all but the $100, it would have fulfilled its obligation to you under your contract. Because it did not, it's merchant acquirer almost certainly decided not to mess around and simply did not dispute the full amount. End result is that the vendor came out $100 behind.

The requirement that you withdraw a chargeback was always nonsense.

This is yet one more example among thousands on FT alone of why one should not use third-party vendors. Stick to the carriers or, if you find it necessary, a solid TA where you know the people and it has every incentive to serve you on a regular basis. Everything is fine. Until it is not.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Yes 95% of the time I book directly with the carrier. The other 5% of the time, I have been happy with Expedia. However, in this very rare instance, this other vendor was ~$700 cheaper than the carriers or Expedia for the same flights and fare codes, so I took a calculated risk. I would have been fine with a refund minus the $100 had they been a little more timely and communicative - I know it's a challenging time for all travel businesses. However, my patience was wearing thin after 4+ months of silence. And if they were going to try and pressurise me to withdraw the chargeback, maybe they should have tried contacting me 9 days before the chargeback was processed...not 9 days after!

I do hope to be able to fly TG again in the near future. I always fly with them between Australia and Europe. I enjoy lounge-hopping on my layovers in Bangkok between Australia and Europe, and this year I had also planned to stay in Bangkok for a few days en route home.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Amex USA resolved three separate chargebacks for TG tickets we had booked. The cases have now been concluded and the money is fully refunded.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Amex USA resolved three separate chargebacks for TG tickets we had booked. The cases have now been concluded and the money is fully refunded.
Amex are absolutely the best when it comes to chargeback
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:47 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I had PG flights booked on TG flights numbers booked via AMEX.

The flights were rescheduled so I asked AMEX to cancel and refund me around a month ago. They advised TG was’t refunding for up to 180 days. I was aware TG was f issuing refunds at all so had assumed the money was gone.

Surprisingly, last week I found the refund in my account including the AMEX travel credits used for part of the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.