Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more premium cabin awards in advance?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I randomly checked TG premium seats via United and Avianca out of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane for the remainder of this month. Available some but not every day for the next ten days, thereafter nothing, and nothing I could find in June. I also checked seats out of Milan and Rome - also some TG premium seats in the next few days, thereafter only Economy. Months later out also fruitless
Currently United miles are useless for flying to/from Australia to Asia unless you book really close in. They raised the redemption rates and then killed the availability. I am now using Krisflyer miles which I would never have done before.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by riced
Currently United miles are useless for flying to/from Australia to Asia unless you book really close in. They raised the redemption rates ...
The rates were a know anomaly. Raising the rate was a fix to that anomaly.

They ... then killed the availability.
No they didn’t. TG did.

...I am now using Krisflyer miles which I would never have done before.
Good for you. Most of us are not that lucky.
BTW you also get a superior product as a side effect.
RTWFF likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Currently United miles are useless for flying to/from Australia to Asia unless you book really close in. They raised the redemption rates and then killed the availability.
As someone else posted, it's not the airline whose miles you are using but the airline you're flying with that determines the availability. Untied seems to have a significant problem with its reservations systems which for a couple of months couldn't connect with either TG or SQ redemptions and still can't connect with SQ redemptions. Europe redemptions are the same - I can't find a Europe/Australia J redemption that isn't with Air India (waste of points) or Air China (almost ditto) for one or more legs at any time of any month
Old May 14, 2019, 12:07 am

Hi, same situation here. Looking for award space (J) for MEL-BKK but there is nothing available on TG beyond next week. SYD-BKK seems to have a bit better availability. Anyone knows what's going on?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, same situation here. Looking for award space (J) for MEL-BKK but there is nothing available on TG beyond next week. SYD-BKK seems to have a bit better availability. Anyone knows what's going on?
Better control of revenue from THAI management? Who knows....

Are you looking on THAI’s system to burn ROP miles, or are you after a partner redemption on TG?
Old May 14, 2019, 3:10 am

Partner redemption on TG.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:21 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I was able to book SYD-BKK in mid-July. Was searching for and found one seat in F. Availability was scarce, but there. J was a bit more plentiful but still scarce on dates I needed.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by dll
I was able to book SYD-BKK in mid-July. Was searching for and found one seat in F. Availability was scarce, but there. J was a bit more plentiful but still scarce on dates I needed.
ROP or partner redemption?
Old May 16, 2019, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Better control of revenue from THAI management?
If it wasn't for UA award redemptions, TG premium cabins would be considerably emptier than they already are.

If this is a conscious move by TG revenue management, I don't see it working out well for them.
chris63 and eponymous_coward like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:43 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerby

ROP or partner redemption?
United (MP). Also saw availability with Aeroplan that offered some SQ options too.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:03 am

The Death of Star Alliance Business & First Awards

I am burning up the last of my THAI miles. Many months ago booked from the US ANA first to NRT, then THAI first to BKK and THAI business to KTM & return. My traveling companion wants to return a few days earlier. There are some THAI business and Air China first options. Asiana first is now gone, United never has anything in saver in advance, ANA now has much less first and business to the US. I think credit cards bonuses have killed premium travel awards.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BF263533
I think credit cards bonuses have killed premium travel awards.
Airlines have also determined that selling a glass of lemonade for a million dollars because you only have to sell one (and then giving the rest of the lemonade away to people who use miles) isn't a particularly good model for making money in competitive markets when you make $0 from an empty seat, and very little from a mileage redemption (some costs or accounting expenses off the books). They have a better understanding of how to price F/J to sell it at market-clearing, profit-maximizing prices in an era of big data and analytics.

But yeah, it would be better if awards were reserved for MEEEEEEE. Just MEEEEEEE.

Anyways, I'm flying TATL J for well under 1k one way in less than 2 months. SQ TPAC J for $1400 one way this winter. At those prices mileage redemptions are marginal at best unless you have a very low valuation of miles to cash. My alternative to that SQ TPAC J ticket would have been burning 62,500 AS miles instead of earning 25,000 AS miles (so I'm spending less than 2 cents per mile for that ticket- and I can find 2 percent cashback cards). So I say go with the flow and find cheap J/F fares at times/places when the airline will cut you a deal.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 21, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old May 26, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: ANA & ROP
Originally Posted by Atlantico
Looking to book flight in I or O class, however looks like it has dried up completely for anything beyond 14 days before departure.

New "enhancement" or is it already a known feature?
Do you redeem by using ROP mile or Star alliance mile? Now, I found that TG release awards seat to Star Alliance network less than their own ROP quite a lot.
I using ExpertFlyer looking for award for F in March 2020 from Tokyo to Europe for my wife and my son and found nothing. However, when use ROP search for March, I found quite a lot open spaces but you have to book by ROP miles.
Finally, I have booked 2 F tickets for Tokyo-BKK-LHR and return from CDG-BKK-Tokyo. This itinerary is cost 230,000 miles per person however if I am booking same itinerary from Oct 1, 2019, it will cost 480,000 miles per person!!!!
Old May 27, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
This is getting borderline ridiculous.
I'm trying to book an F ticket with my miles to any European destination offering F class.
I'm especially interested in BKK-CDG-BKK. Well guess what? Nothing opened AT ALL from next week onwards until the end of the year.
Same debacle to LHR
I'm not even bothering to check FRA...

Very clearly they want to discourage people from racking up cheaper award flights in F class before the miles devaluation coming on Oct 1st. Very disappointing.

EDIT: Actually I can see just a few dates to CDG... but not a lot. I'm assuming they only open 1 F class seat open for award redemption. Not a great deal. I'm thinking of just booking a round trip as a place holder right now before the crazy mile devaluation.

Last edited by Disinto; May 27, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If it wasn't for UA award redemptions, TG premium cabins would be considerably emptier than they already are.

If this is a conscious move by TG revenue management, I don't see it working out well for them.
I agree. It will just lead to much passengers on TG.

The real issue for me is that I can't just risk it and book closer to the time. Most of my award trips using TG connect to other airlines. In the past, I could book a TG/OZ or TG/NH or TG/BR connection 10 months out. If I have to wait until 2 weeks before flying for the TG seats to open up, those OZ/NH/BR award seats are highly unlikely be available.
RTWFF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.