Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

When is Thailand going to become US FAA Category 1 rating to start services again!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is Thailand going to become US FAA Category 1 rating to start services again!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Red face When is Thailand going to become US FAA Category 1 rating to start services again!?

I LOVE THAILAND and there's currently no non-stop between the USA & Thailand. Their new A350 & 787-9 can make BKK-SFO/LAX so I was wondering when Thailand is going to become USA FAA Category 1 safety rating so they can re-start USA services again. UA seemingly thinks it can't get a yield premium on SFO-BKK and started SFO-DEL & SFO-MEL instead with the latest expansion and also added additional SFO-ICN. Is Thailand actively working on USA FAA Category 1 safety rating!? I was shocked Thailand failed the last review/check.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Even Vietnam became FAA Category 1 recently (complying with ICAO standards): https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=23474
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Perhaps when the FAA stops being a global joke. The EASA has no problem with Thailand.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Perhaps when the FAA stops being a global joke. The EASA has no problem with Thailand.
I was a big defender of the FAA until the 737 Mad MAX disaster. Once the FAA protected the US as being a high risk target. Safety is still a concern, and the FAA should help Thailand to resolve any issues to help the FAA improve its own reputation. FAA = Global Joke x 9
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:26 am
soy

Programs: various
TG are still losing money. They would be better advised to get their house in order rather than launching/resuming money losing routes to the US. The only reason to fly it is for ego/prestige reasons. There is a reason SIN is the only city in the region with direct US flights
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by soy
TG are still losing money. They would be better advised to get their house in order rather than launching/resuming money losing routes to the US. The only reason to fly it is for ego/prestige reasons. There is a reason SIN is the only city in the region with direct US flights
United could fly a nonstop code share with THAI on SFO-BKK .
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by soy
PR?

But I agree otherwise, TG would need to have sufficient paid premium cabin flyers to make the economics working. Given the largely leisure flying demographic, it would be an uphill battle even with government approval at some point in the future.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Have to do with politics.
joy16 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BF263533
Or United's CEO could just douse a few stacks of hundred dollar bills every year in Jet-A and set them on fire, to save them time from having to fly a money-losing route.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
No they couldn't . . .

Originally Posted by BF263533
The category 2 rating not only bans all Thai carriers from operating flights to the USA, but also bans setting up new code shares between Thai carriers and US carriers.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
The category 2 rating not only bans all Thai carriers from operating flights to the USA, but also bans setting up new code shares between Thai carriers and US carriers.
i agree. Was trying to make the point that if FAA 1 was cleared maybe United could do a code share. Post 9 says even with United in the mix United would be better just to put some Jet fuel on cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.