Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Noppasit
For your information, even on an A380 flight to LHR, occasionally its a BUS gate!
Rather scary that makes sense to someone at TG
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chris63
Rather scary that makes sense to someone at TG
Does the timing of those LHR flights coincide with the arrivals and departures of QR, EK, LH and whoever flies 380s to BKK though, as there are limited number of 380 capable gates? - Just a possible reason, but by no means certain
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Does the timing of those LHR flights coincide with the arrivals and departures of QR, EK, LH and whoever flies 380s to BKK though, as there are limited number of 380 capable gates? - Just a possible reason, but by no means certain
Maybe but no way LH would give up a gate position on an A380 at one of it’s hubs Anywhere else home airline gets priority
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I don't mind bus gates. But I don't like it when they send you from the lounge in the D councourse to a gate in the E concourse (last time the sign said '850m') and then bus you to a plane. Why not have the bus gate close to D and where the majority of pax have cleared sucurity and exit immigration? (This was another example where there were plenty of empt gates, so it was possible).

Agree the whole waiting until the bus is full - packed - is also a pain.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't mind bus gates. But I don't like it when they send you from the lounge in the D councourse to a gate in the E concourse (last time the sign said '850m') and then bus you to a plane. Why not have the bus gate close to D and where the majority of pax have cleared sucurity and exit immigration? (This was another example where there were plenty of empt gates, so it was possible).

Agree the whole waiting until the bus is full - packed - is also a pain.
Mainly with you. I have tolerated bus gates as a quirky fact if life, but given D1A is a bus gate I also have wondered a couple of times just how well planned out apron operations are in such cases. I guess most pax are not in the lounge.....?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Mainly with you. I have tolerated bus gates as a quirky fact if life, but given D1A is a bus gate I also have wondered a couple of times just how well planned out apron operations are in such cases. I guess most pax are not in the lounge.....?
Don't know, but the trek to E8 - a long way even for those not in premium and using fast track - only to be bused right the way back to the A gates for the flight was crazy. At midnight virtually every D gate was empty.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
We had buses from B3 on departure Saturday, which I found mildly strange. All gates were vacant too, except for B1 and one of the A-gates..

But guess we should all just be pleased that it is not as bad as DOH, where the bus gates are at the end of each pier! :O
I think for DOH-CPH on QR, I have a 100% track record of being bussed from outer E pier
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I guess most pax are not in the lounge.....?
Not in the TG lounge if they have any sense
metcalve and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For me the thing that makes it so annoying at BKK is that you will see literally dozens of empty gates at the D and E concourses and yet they park at an apron position. At airports like HKG and FRA, by contrast, you can see there really are too many aircraft and not enough gates.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
On arrival from SIN last month, I was down the back in the A350 exit row (row 50) and it took 35 minutes from engine stopping to reach the terminal. It almost seemed like they only had one bus running, there would be movement, then wait for 5 minutes , movement, then wait .... when I finally boarded a bus there was most certainly no bus behind so the remaining 100 or so pax behind me would have probably taken 40-45 mins.

I’m wondering if next time (if SQ is full or selling only top fares) if 3K might be a better option on this route, they always seem to get a gate
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
It does seem that almost all non TG flights arriving in BKK get a gate and almost all TG long haul arrivals get the bus. On the surface it looks like a cheap money saving device, I do recall when Easyjet and Ryan started up they touted the remote stands as one of their ways to cut costs and they still do, but a national airline at its own hub? Is there something else going on causing this situation?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
It does seem that almost all non TG flights arriving in BKK get a gate and almost all TG long haul arrivals get the bus. On the surface it looks like a cheap money saving device, I do recall when Easyjet and Ryan started up they touted the remote stands as one of their ways to cut costs and they still do, but a national airline at its own hub? Is there something else going on causing this situation?
I'm not in logistics but I can never understand how a remote gate costs more... you'd think 5 buses and finve drivers on rotation would be more expensive than a single airbridge driver. Maybe they save on the tug for pushback? Everything else would seem to be a fixed cost?
Flyingbiker likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:35 pm

I'm not in logistics but I can never understand how a remote gate costs more... you'd think 5 buses and finve drivers on rotation would be more expensive than a single airbridge driver. Maybe they save on the tug for pushback? Everything else would seem to be a fixed cost?
While I'm not an expert in this area, I have been told by multiple sources that jetbridge gates cost A LOT more than remote stands, even when the bus costs are taken into account.

Personally, I'm generally fine with bus gates on arrival because the buses go straight to baggage claim...though Shenzhen is a notable exception that I despise.

I also hate when when my flights to SHA park at T1, and bus me to T2 (15 minute ride around the airport); FM should have a little more consideration for its passengers.

On departure, bus gates are nothing short of miserable. They don't need to be, but they are. I flew HKG-SHA last week from one of the 500 gates, and it was honestly a bus station experience.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
While I'm not an expert in this area, I have been told by multiple sources that jetbridge gates cost A LOT more than remote stands, even when the bus costs are taken into account.
I was just wondering if the actual difference in cost is legitimate, or just airport operator 'mark up' for convenience.

Maybe TG is taking a stand to drive lower prices?

Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
you'd think 5 buses and finve drivers on rotation would be more expensive than a single airbridge driver. Maybe they save on the tug for pushback? Everything else would seem to be a fixed cost?
It's not the operating costs, it's the airport fees.
I was just wondering if the actual difference in cost is legitimate, or just airport operator 'mark up' for convenience.
Not sure what you mean by "legitimate." By whose measure? Is Nike selling a shoe that costs $28 to manufacture for $150 "legitimate"?
worldclubber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.