FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:35 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm not in logistics but I can never understand how a remote gate costs more... you'd think 5 buses and finve drivers on rotation would be more expensive than a single airbridge driver. Maybe they save on the tug for pushback? Everything else would seem to be a fixed cost?
While I'm not an expert in this area, I have been told by multiple sources that jetbridge gates cost A LOT more than remote stands, even when the bus costs are taken into account.

Personally, I'm generally fine with bus gates on arrival because the buses go straight to baggage claim...though Shenzhen is a notable exception that I despise.

I also hate when when my flights to SHA park at T1, and bus me to T2 (15 minute ride around the airport); FM should have a little more consideration for its passengers.

On departure, bus gates are nothing short of miserable. They don't need to be, but they are. I flew HKG-SHA last week from one of the 500 gates, and it was honestly a bus station experience.