Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by Juntima
I have recently burned all ROP miles to avoid the new chart, and I am switching to SQ (I am base in Bangkok). Though new ROP and SQ chart require similar amount of miles anyway (around 180K for BKK-Europe), so I still keep ROP for European routes as I could fly direct, and SQ for Australia-NZ and USA routes. Not sure if it's the right decision. I am also with Finnair for OneWorld and Flying Blue for SkyTeam, my flying pattern seems like a mess

Point is, in my opinion, even though the new ROP will be a lot worse than before, but it will just require the same amount of miles as other programs for an award ticket, it doesn't make much difference switching to the other (correct me if I am wrong). I don't chase for status and only care about award miles. I am switching to SQ only because THAI don't fly to USA and require more miles to redeem an award ticket to Australia-NZ. Putting up with ROP and start flying with SQ seems like the best way to go for me. It would be nice to hear other's opinion on this too.
I was originally thinking of going to EVA Air - but then I was just totally screwed by the strike that just happened (took place while I was in the air, then I was stranded in TPE as a result). Not that being with another *A partner would've avoided such a disaster as I still would've been on that EVA flight presumably, but I also don't want to throw in with an airline directly who has such things happen with any regularity (it was the second time they had a FA strike while I was mid-travel).Shucks, I might be stuck here!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by tangfish
I was originally thinking of going to EVA Air - but then I was just totally screwed by the strike that just happened (took place while I was in the air, then I was stranded in TPE as a result). Not that being with another *A partner would've avoided such a disaster as I still would've been on that EVA flight presumably, but I also don't want to throw in with an airline directly who has such things happen with any regularity (it was the second time they had a FA strike while I was mid-travel).Shucks, I might be stuck here!
I thought about moving to EVA Air too (having a family in Taiwan and usually flying there with EVA, so EVA Air seemed like a good idea), but SQ seems like a more sturdy and stable airlines to me (services, hardware, miles collected through credit cards, all considered), which should be good for the long run. With the strike, it now seems I was right. Hope you got out of there soon
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by Juntima
I thought about moving to EVA Air too (having a family in Taiwan and usually flying there with EVA, so EVA Air seemed like a good idea), but SQ seems like a more sturdy and stable airlines to me (services, hardware, miles collected through credit cards, all considered), which should be good for the long run. With the strike, it now seems I was right. Hope you got out of there soon
I was able to get home, ironically, on TG.Good thinking on choosing SQ to focus on rather than BR. Now I'm wondering, if I switch from TG ROP to SQ KrisFlyer program, how do I accrue miles on SQ while also continuing to enjoy my *A Gold status on TG?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I was able to get home, ironically, on TG.Good thinking on choosing SQ to focus on rather than BR. Now I'm wondering, if I switch from TG ROP to SQ KrisFlyer program, how do I accrue miles on SQ while also continuing to enjoy my *A Gold status on TG?
I reckon the only way to do that is to wait until you roll over again for your next period as a Gold member of ROP and then immediately start crediting your miles to KrisFlyer. That way you will be valid as Gold with ROP until it expires and you can stock up the miles on KrisFlyer. But, just be aware, as a KrisFlyer Gold member you are nothing but dirt on the heels of the PPS members.....SQ tolerates Gold members and even creates separate, inferior, Star Gold lounges for its KriFlyer Gold members traveling in Economy....you cannot use the KrisFlyer Business Lounges.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Now I'm wondering, if I switch from TG ROP to SQ KrisFlyer program, how do I accrue miles on SQ while also continuing to enjoy my *A Gold status on TG?
In theory you can just show and wave your ROP Gold card and have your miles going into SQ from the point of booking. However, there is a risk staff will screw this up and enter your TG ROP number. Also you miss some benefits.

There are system codes that allow this separation. You can search for FQTV and FQTS, but in short:

FQTV = frequent traveller = accrue SQ miles here
FQTS = freqtrav status = set to TG ROP for status

Some line checkin staff are not aware how to do this, so a supervisor might be needed.

Also some airlines are reluctant to do this, and there is strong debate on Air NZs recent refusal to do this if NZ is the program being accrued into - so I cannot accrue into NZ whilst getting the benefits of my ROP status

Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
You can always check in with one FFP and then at the gate change it to another.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: TG*G
Tried to burn my ROP miles on a trip back to Toronto and then my flight to Toronto on Eva was cancelled. Last minute flight booking on Air Canada (including a short TPE-NRT segment on a still running Eva flight) at great cost and I've got 156,000 miles back in my ROP account.

I'm now TPE based so will likely still swap to Eva but I'm feeling pretty burnt by Star in general at the moment. Would I be crazy to shift to OneWorld/CX? With 15+ TPE-HKG flights a day, it may be worth the detour if the programme works better.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by bmi_Barry
Tried to burn my ROP miles on a trip back to Toronto and then my flight to Toronto on Eva was cancelled. Last minute flight booking on Air Canada (including a short TPE-NRT segment on a still running Eva flight) at great cost and I've got 156,000 miles back in my ROP account.

I'm now TPE based so will likely still swap to Eva but I'm feeling pretty burnt by Star in general at the moment. Would I be crazy to shift to OneWorld/CX? With 15+ TPE-HKG flights a day, it may be worth the detour if the programme works better.
A bit off topic, but no, you would not be crazy, depending on your travel pattern. While not as good as it used to be, it is well known that ex-TPE fares in business on CX are way better than ex-HKG fares. You'd likely benefit from the pricing in a switch if flying C/J. In economy, not so much but it's a decent option since it's not very out of the way.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: TG*G LH*G Marriott Gold
Not sure, why there is such a negative view on ROP. I switched from LH*G, where you get effectively only one voucher for one long-haul flight upgrade, which I could never use, while I get two free long-haul return upgrades with TG. And one long-haul flight at 50% miles discount. Plus you can convert Citibank rewards into TG miles. How does TG compare to SQ ?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Guido C
Not sure, why there is such a negative view on ROP. I switched from LH*G, where you get effectively only one voucher for one long-haul flight upgrade, which I could never use, while I get two free long-haul return upgrades with TG. And one long-haul flight at 50% miles discount. Plus you can convert Citibank rewards into TG miles. How does TG compare to SQ ?
Guido C - welcome to Flyertalk !

Well, the negatives changes to the program (much higher miles needed for award) outweigh some positive changes (better earn in some classes, and high tier). Haven't look at SQ...
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by Guido C
For me, TG is a lot more expensive than SQ flying off BKK, but I kept flying TG only because their reward tickets require less miles than SQ. With ROP new chart, reward tickets require more miles than SQ on some routes, plus I could convert credit card points to either TG or SQ at about the same rate, hence there's no point flying TG then. Unless I feel like flying direct which is not really a big deal for me
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
SQ is an annual status chase whereas TG gives you two years of Statius. Doesn’t Eva give you two years?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by phrasuthon
I meant different tariffs that THAI let you earn on other Star Alliance airlines. In Europe you can forget it having ROP. They cut to maximum mileage crediting. You fly business or you forget to earn miles on economy flights. I remember time when THAI let you earn much more. Now they want you fly only THAI. Spending miles on THAI is also difficult right now. I have arround 230k and I asked THAI for an upgrade last week. "Sorry Sir no tarifs and seats avaiable" So I asked any award tickets? O or I? Yes but from Paris. But I am flying from Frankfurt?
"Finit" in July Sir
"Finit" in August Sir
September can be possible but we can put you on waiting (They say like that but they don't) (How many times I have heard "waiting list" hahahha)
So how can I spend my miles now? Doing RTW with Star Alliance or what?
How can be worse if is already worse in ROP?
My feeling as a farang is:
you are Thai with ROP Gold - 100 % Success
you are Thai with ROP Plat - 200% Sucsess
you are farang with ROP Gold - 50% Success (farang can pay more, farang can wait, doesn't matter)
you are farang with ROP Plat - 50% Success (farang can use Royal First Lounge or SPA it's enough, doesn't matter, Thai with Plat and vip are first of the line )
(my observation came from Frankfurt, Munich, Bangkok airport staff. So I am now 10 years ROP Gold and I see drastic changes since maybe 5 years?) Thai airways ROP in my opinion is not equal to every member they have especially if you are farang.
Funny enough, from some Thai's perspective, Farang seems to get prefer service.

Anyhow, the new program just launched and the mileage use to get flight award is ridiculously bad. Upgrade award from eco to biz, cost almost the same as getting biz award ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet

SQ is an annual status chase whereas TG gives you two years of Statius. Doesnt Eva give you two years?
EVA is 2 years but on the way up to gold is 30,000 to get silver and another 50,000 to get gold. Straight to gold is not allowed.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Lercheen
Funny enough, from some Thai's perspective, Farang seems to get prefer service.

Anyhow, the new program just launched and the mileage use to get flight award is ridiculously bad. Upgrade award from eco to biz, cost almost the same as getting biz award ticket.
This is so true. I've been so accustomed to work paying me on Eco and I use my own miles to upgrade. Now, no longer the option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.