Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai suspends Thailand-Europe flights temporarily

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai suspends Thailand-Europe flights temporarily

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Seems like overkill now that the situation is clearer. Everyone else is taking on more fuel and routing south of Pakistan
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
actually quite disappointing as I see SQ flying at least the ones i checked from CDG, FRA and ZRH...
I think that SQ tend to do a more southerly route given SIN's geographic position, allowing them to almost already bypass Pakistani airspace already. TG looks to be more affected given their more northern routes from BKK, as the detour would be longer (this is based on a quick comparison of SQ351 and TG951, both originating at CPH). However, that said - the detour is not that much more, but maybe there are some extortionate overfly fees from unusual states involved.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think that SQ tend to do a more southerly route given SIN's geographic position, allowing them to almost already bypass Pakistani airspace already. TG looks to be more affected given their more northern routes from BKK, as the detour would be longer (this is based on a quick comparison of SQ351 and TG951, both originating at CPH). However, that said - the detour is not that much more, but maybe there are some extortionate overfly fees from unusual states involved.
I do not think so; from/to CDG, FRA, ZRH the route is practically the same from Europe until around Calcutta

Cancellations of flights out of BKK tonight are now also confirmed!
13 flights cancelled!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Latest is flight's with Thai cancelled to and from Pakistan and Europe between 27-28 February information from Thairath news on twitter.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Given that India and Pakistan have started shooting down each others military jets, I think this might have a big influence - the last thing anybody wants is another MH over Ukraine incident.
JDiver and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
what a mess and "drastic" is still a very mild expression...they told us here it would result in 2-3 hrs longer flying time to go via Mid-/Southern India (as SQ has just made a one hour fuel stop at Mumbai)......it looks like a very spontaneous und not well thought decistion to cancel all flighs for one day
I remember one day in 1996, when India closed its airspace for one day - that made a big difference...Pakistan closure is a peanut compared to Indian airspace closure
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
what a mess and "drastic" is still a very mild expression...they told us here it would result in 2-3 hrs longer flying time to go via Mid-/Southern India (as SQ has just made a one hour fuel stop at Mumbai)......it looks like a very spontaneous und not well thought decistion to cancel all flighs for one day
I remember one day in 1996, when India closed its airspace for one day - that made a big difference...Pakistan closure is a peanut compared to Indian airspace closure
Yes and no - even if only Pakistani airspace has been closed, the threat remains covering both nations’ airspace which is a plausible reason for the proactive cancellations. Both airforces are engaged likely over the border areas making it plausible that either side will encroach on each other’s airspace. I am not saying whether it is a bad decision or not, just providing a plausible justification
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:32 am

Yes and no - even if only Pakistani airspace has been closed, the threat remains covering both nations’ airspace which is a plausible reason for the proactive cancellations. Both airforces are engaged likely over the border areas making it plausible that either side will encroach on each other’s airspace. I am not saying whether it is a bad decision or not, just providing a plausible justification
but TG's decision seems to be pretty unique
beside the mentioned SQ, I saw also other airlines continue their flights from BKK: AF, KLM, BR and LX already approaching Europe, LH, TK, AY and OS leaving soon
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:49 am

Sounds somewhat like it is overfly rights related:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47392300
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: ROP
From news in Thailand, TG canceled all flights to/from Pakistan and Europe today and they are in the process to apply for alternative routing to/from Europe because currently, they don't have the permission to fly on those alternative routing.

Update: TG is waiting for the permission to fly over Iranian airspace for all flights from / to Europe.

Last edited by joy16; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Sounds somewhat like it is overfly rights related:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47392300
interesting - an airline with up to 14 flights a day in each direction between Europe and Asia has no contingency plan for alternative routings?
A B777 can easily fly for 11-12 hrs with full load and it should easily permit a smaller deviation on an eastbound flight from Central Europe to BKK.
Thus the reason is a "lack of permission" means a lack of contingency plan....???
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Further information from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47392300

Other airlines such as Air India, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines have re-routed flights.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
interesting - an airline with up to 14 flights a day in each direction between Europe and Asia has no contingency plan for alternative routings?
A B777 can easily fly for 11-12 hrs with full load and it should easily permit a smaller deviation on an eastbound flight from Central Europe to BKK.
Thus the reason is a "lack of permission" means a lack of contingency plan....???
Well how about we stop the arm-chair CEO nonsense and just accept that each airline has their reasons ?
You quote 11-12 hours for a 777, which TG operates in most routes - most Europe flights are scheduled at exactly that durations, so...

They lack a feasible route to avoid two nuclear powered parties on the brink of armed conflict. That’s it...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Heard from someone at BKK that situation for passengers is quite chaotic. Passports have been confiscated and passengers are told to organize their own accommodation in Bangkok...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Going to be difficult to get accommodation in Bangkok if you haven't got your passport Surely someone on the ground at the airport has issued new entry visa and given passengers their passport back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.