Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

unusual economy seat allocations - large group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Broswing for an economy flight AKL-BKK I encountered an unusual seating pattern (see the attached picture). It looks like a group booking where the Travel Agent (or arranger) has booked aisle and centre seats for a large group with the window seats free. A similar pattern in the centre block of 3 seats. I'm sure there could be other explanations, and this probably happens 'all the time' with tour groups - although the seats are in the forward cabin, so must be K class or better..

If my guess is correct, I also suppose the group is hopeful no other pax will select the window seats that are all vacant in the hope of being able to 'spread out' and have an empty seat between the 2 pax.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Might be a naive assumption from my side, but could it be that this group consists of mainly couples travelling together and thus have spread out as one couple per row in order to sit together given the 3-3-3 layout?

Could be that some TAs have special arrangements and can assign whichever seats they please too?

In your case, I think you can call TG to ask for row 31 seats to be unblocked if you want to take the chance that the bassinets are not going to be used.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
In your case, I think you can call TG to ask for row 31 seats to be unblocked if you want to take the chance that the bassinets are not going to be used.
I am not travelling on this exact flight, so unconcerned - just curious.

I have tried in the past asking for 31A to be unblocked for me and I have always been told "not possible Sir, wait for OLCI" - only to find that 31A and 31K had mysteriously already been snared somehow by others

I am presently in 31C for my next AKL-BKK flight. Is there a trick to unblocking and gaining access to 31A....?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another interesting seat map, again AKL-BKK.

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
The near-symmetry of that seat map is indeed intriguing. Although I would expect that single travellers would select aisle seats in general on a 3-3-3 config.
As to the point of unblocking seats - sorry I missed that question previously. I have had them unblock bassinet seats in J before as *G by calling up and saying that I understand the risk of being moved, bla bla. Naturally that does come with said risk, if the bassinet is needed. In my previous comment I was assuming the same would be possible in Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.