Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

avoid expensive tickets from BKK, fly BKK-KUL-BKK-XXX-BKK-KUL-BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

avoid expensive tickets from BKK, fly BKK-KUL-BKK-XXX-BKK-KUL-BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:54 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I agree with much written here already.
Make a stopover, in BKK, on the lat segment to hook up with the first segment of the next trip, even if it involves a fee.

The counter won’t open more than 3 hours before the flight. I’ve had limited success doing online check in, but that won’t work with bags to check.

I used to exclusively fly ex-KUL on both United B fares and Asians business class fares. It’s often possible to make the first segment an MH leg. You could then check in early for your flight and use the MH lounges. Also, MH would likely be far less concerned about hidden city ticketing when the long hauls aren’t on their metal.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Totally O/T & not very nice comments about another country.
Those are comments about a city, not a country, furthermore, Not one of those comments is untrue or O/T which I assume means over the top. I lived in SGN for years and all of those things and more personally happened to me.

Last edited by Main Wheel; Mar 23, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I was under the impression the toilets were undergoing renovations. Was it really 8 mths?
Under what circumstances have the airport staff said "tak boleh" to u?
It has not happened to me, as in if I ask for assistance, it would be rendered. But the time it takes is another matter altogether.

Hidden city is kinda like a nesting ticket, I think?
Have u had personal experience with TG re: denial of miles for the flights flown because the last leg was dropped?
What if the miles were already credited to your FFP?
People miss their flights all the time. I find it would take a lot of effort for an (hardworking) airline to track who's been dropping the last sector of their itinerary, & even so you would have to be doing it every week for the system to "flag you".

P/S - with only 2 daily flights from BKK to KUL, the turnaround/positioning is a little harder to orchestrate compared to say ex-SIN, but I guess SIN is a little farther away from BKK & we don't get as many good deals on J fares here
Yes the toilets were out of action for 8 months. They did put out a sign saying under renovations but on the three or four occasions I spoke to the staff in the lounge they told me the toilets were closed due to a water leak that the airport was responsible to repair and simply would not. The proof is entering the toilets now and they have not been renovated in the slightest.

one example of cannot is requesting a particular seat at the Sattelite transfer counter to be told “cannot sir. Full already”. Then when I get on board that very seat is vacant and serviceable as I moved to it with the flight attendants permission. Malas!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:05 am

Now on to KLIA proper - it is a terrible & inefficient airport. I can safely say this as fact because I've been traveling thru' the airport for the past 30 years.

I could be wrong but hasnt KLIA only been operating for 20 years. Prior to that Subang was the international airport in KL.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:18 am

I always buy tickets in low-cost services, it is much cheaper than to buy it on this services.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Waldor263
I always buy tickets in low-cost services, it is much cheaper than to buy it on this services.
low cost services such as what?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:41 am

This works well from Manila to European destinations ar certain times of the year ( and sometimes to Australia). The downside: longer flight both ticketed and for positioning; perhaps less attractive destination for short stop. But it works well both financially and when short of a few miles for requal.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Main Wheel

I could be wrong but hasnt KLIA only been operating for 20 years. Prior to that Subang was the international airport in KL.
Indeed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_...#Grand_opening
I was on the first QF flight into this new airport. We spent about 30 minutes on taxi to the terminal (walking would have been faster). Bags took 2 hrs to appear - the airport was completely deserted apart from us.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks flyerby
TG flag me? I do not do anything that is not allowed. And what could they do against me?
Originally Posted by flyerby

In general, airlines do not like this method so they try to minimize the affect. Try searching for “hidden city” on Google or on UA/AA/DL forums here.
The easiest for TG is to deny miles for KUL-BKK, BKK-XXX & XXX-BKK while you don’t complete the last leg.
If this is a one time then no problem but if this is going to be an on going thing then I devise caution.
It’s not technically a hidden city routing, unless one were to throw away the final segment to KUL and disembark at BKK.

However, it is “nested ticketing” - or whatever the term is - when someone tickets in a way that is clearly intended to circumvent airline price fences between different markets/length of stay, etc...

Because of this I would simply book the positioning flights on MH. TG would have no way of knowing, and no reason to even care why you ticketed out of KUL.

Many people I know who aren’t into flying and travel as much as I am look at me like I’m crazy for doing things like this. But, as someone who actually loves to fly, it’s a great excuse to take more flights, accrue more miles, and make a stopover in a city I enjoy.

Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:00 pm

I am not following you. Use MH for the positioning flight but don’t fly the last TG leg to KUL? As a once off flight this will work but other than that I don’t see your logic???

I may be wrong but I thought the OP was looking at this as more than just one trip being a heavy user of TG through to Europe?

Apologies if I am wrong.

Last edited by Main Wheel; Apr 4, 2018 at 1:07 pm Reason: I screwed up.....
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:10 pm

I am not following you. Use MH for the positioning flight but dont fly the last TH leg to KUL? As a once off flight this will work but other than that I dont see your logic???
I did not advise throwing away any segment. I do not advocate or approve of hidden city ticketing.

What I suggest is buying a round trip positioning ticket, BKK-KUL-BKK. i.e. fly every single segment, and return to BKK on the MH ticket as well.

The reason for flying MH to KUL is that I wouldnt want to advertise this choice of routing to TG. Plus MH is a perfectly good airline in my experience.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I may be wrong but I thought the OP was looking at this as more than just one trip being a heavy user of TG through to Europe?

Apologies if I am wrong.
you are correct with your assumptions.
I do not intend to do it for all my flights but maybe 2 out of 4-6 trips to Europe

Last edited by BinSabai; Apr 4, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I did not advise throwing away any segment. I do not advocate or approve of hidden city ticketing.

What I suggest is buying a round trip positioning ticket, BKK-KUL-BKK. i.e. fly every single segment, and return to BKK on the MH ticket as well.

The reason for flying MH to KUL is that I wouldnt want to advertise this choice of routing to TG. Plus MH is a perfectly good airline in my experience.

Thanks! I understand very well your advise.
However there are some downsides
- I would definitely have to go landside in KUL
- what can I do with the mileage for the MH ticket?
- to get convenience as well on the short haul flights, I would need to book biz on MH, while I could get lounge access and fast track on TG with Y

I wonder why you think I have to hide this towards TG? What can they do against me? I still do not understand the term "flag me"! What methods to they have or apply in such cases?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Thanks! I understand very well your advise.
However there are some downsides
- I would definitely have to go landside in KUL
- what can I do with the mileage for the MH ticket?
- to get convenience as well on the short haul flights, I would need to book biz on MH, while I could get lounge access and fast track on TG with Y

I wonder why you think I have to hide this towards TG? What can they do against me? I still do not understand the term "flag me"! What methods to they have or apply in such cases?
I cannot give any advice for certain. With U.S. carriers, for example, when I have bought two separate “nested” tickets to get lower fares on two consecutive trips, I have always used different airlines to avoid detection. In the worst cases of violating fare rules, an airline could terminate a frequent flyer account and possibly sue for fare difference, but that is “unlikely” unless one is a repeat offender.

Generally speaking, when you are doing something to circumvent fare rules, there is no risk if using separate airlines. If using the same airline and crediting the miles to the same account, there is some level of risk of detection. Whether or not, or at what point TG would act on something like that I have no idea.

If you do not do this all the time, it’s probably fine. It could even be logical for someone to buy a return ticket on TG if plans changed.

If you want to return from KUL on TG (or do a hidden city trick and and not take the last segment) as others have pointed out you should probably fly a different airline to KUL. You could then buy a return flight on TG for KUL-BKK after you have already flown the outbound portion of your ticket to Europe. Doing it this way makes your actions consistent with the explanation of a sudden change of plans. If you ticket far in advance, it’s obvious what your intentions are.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 4, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Nesting tickets is not a breach of any rules AFAIK, since the pax carries the risk if there is a misconnect whilst executing the journey. Nor should it matter if the same or different airline is nested.
For example, inserting a long-haul inside a short haul such as BKK-KUL-(KUL-BKK-LHR-BKK-KUL)-BKK I see as simply not an issue - providing consideration is given to where the journeys 'interface' - matters such as baggage transfer, quick turnarounds etc etc

Hidden city ticketing and throwing away final sectors is, I understand, more of a potential issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.