Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
where the bad news will first hit us from: https://www.routesonline.com/news/tagged/6661/thai-airways-international/
Print Wikipost

TG Bangkok <=> Sydney End of 747 Service?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by THR
Just a note - I am planning to book October 2019 BKK-SYD (in fact, commencing NRT).

It still shows TG475 as 744.

We are wanting to fly F on that leg; any thoughts on what is going to happen with 475?
11 months in advance, any airplane type could be there...no meaning at all!
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by THR
Just a note - I am planning to book October 2019 BKK-SYD (in fact, commencing NRT).

It still shows TG475 as 744.

We are wanting to fly F on that leg; any thoughts on what is going to happen with 475?

I don't think there's been any definitive answer to that. Worst case scenario is that there's a change to an A350/77W and you will either refund your ticket or have to take a downgrade.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:19 am
THR

Thanks to you both. Yes, I'm aware it's 11 months out and a lot can happen - operationally on the day including.

Was just trying to assess the latest on whether there was reasonable probability of change.

Reason is, it's RWC period (which we are attending), so direct flights to Japan are looking to be scarce. (We have booked on SQ there - but one way flights departing Japan are hideously expensive, in all classes)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THR
Thanks to you both. Yes, I'm aware it's 11 months out and a lot can happen - operationally on the day including.

Was just trying to assess the latest on whether there was reasonable probability of change.

Reason is, it's RWC period (which we are attending), so direct flights to Japan are looking to be scarce. (We have booked on SQ there - but one way flights departing Japan are hideously expensive, in all classes)
The flight will still be there, just maybe no F. To be honest, the difference between TG F and J isn’t that huge these days (assuming TG won’t be cutting F and putting on a 777 with angled lie flats!)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I would not worry over an F v J seat decision over the much more important matter of attending the RWC!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Who really knows what will be in place 11 months from now? I was scrolling up a bit and found a link on article linked on post 127 -- suggesting from TG VP (but not official statement) that they were going to upgrade SYD to A350 in the first half of 2018, and also make it a 2x daily flight. Talk about a bad prediction...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Main Wheel
I flew the Jumbo last week into SYD and the Purser told me that the 747 is not planned to be retired for another two years. Still time to get another F trip in yet!
Originally Posted by BinSabai
you are a very loyal customer to believe the purser's wishful thinking!
This was posted July 15th 2018. I will be on board the QOTS out of Syd in a couple of days again. She is hanging in there!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:53 pm

I'm booked on the BKK-SYD 1 October and showing a 747.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah. There are no planned changes to the 747 service to SYD that we know of yet (nothing in routesonline for example)
RTWFF likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I just booked F on 747 BKK-SYD yesterday for March 30, so they must be pretty certain they're going to have it going at least until then. I'm looking forward to sitting in row 1 of a 747!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I just booked F on 747 BKK-SYD yesterday for March 30, so they must be pretty certain they're going to have it going at least until then. I'm looking forward to sitting in row 1 of a 747!
AFAIK TG usually only changes its equipment for a route twice a year. The October changes have already been announced, which means that aircraft for flights up until late April next year are already known. I'd expect any changes for 2020 won't be announced until February at the earliest and come into effect later in the year

Last edited by RTWFF; Sep 19, 2019 at 8:23 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWFF
AFAIK TG usually only changes its equipment for a route twice a year. The October changes have already been announced, which means that aircraft for flights up until late April next year are already known. I'd expect any changes for 2020 won't be announced until February at the earliest and come into effect later in the year
That would be just the 2 major seasonal changes to account for demand changes. There are usually other minor route adjustments throughout the year for all kinds of reasons.

So I agree whilst likely the 744 will remain on BKK-SYD, nothing is ‘certain’.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
That would be just the 2 major seasonal changes to account for demand changes. There are usually other minor route adjustments throughout the year for all kinds of reasons.

So I agree whilst likely the 744 will remain on BKK-SYD, nothing is ‘certain’.
Hence the word "usually"?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Hence the word "usually"?
Yup - we are in violent agreement! Sorry if you construed my comments otherwise.

I flew BKK-HKT-BKK on Thursday as I needed the miles, but I made a point to select flights scheduled for 744, as it'd likely be a 'last hurrah' for me. Some of the F seats were filled, so either TG was successful in gaining revenue from Preferred Seating, or the pax were Thais who are exempt being charged.

In Y, most of the Preferred Seats (exit/bulkhead) went empty, although I noted that there was no 'Preferred Seat' or Reserved Seat' stickers own them as I have seen on long-haul flights.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Hope it works out for you. ^

Row 1 is actually not all that great, as the door of the bag compartment in the nose often does not stay shut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.