Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

MEL - BKK - SIN. transit at BKK, can exit immigration and go back in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Booked MEL-BKK-SIN which arrives at BKK at 6am.
next leg flight is at 1115am.
Technically it should be a transit, can I exit immigration at BKK for a short while (without my baggage - since it should be checked in all the way to SIN) ~630am and enters immigration again like at 930am?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
yes possible if your nationality qualifies for visa exemption or visa on arrival.
it is possible that they collect airport tax from you if you leave transit
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
yes possible if your nationality qualifies for visa exemption or visa on arrival.
it is possible that they collect airport tax from you if you leave transit
i see cool thanks.
es nationality should qualify, but how much is the tax and how are they going to collect that?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:32 am

700 THB
check in staff could collect; however if you have already your boading pass (you likely get BP for both legs in MEL) it could happen that Immigration send you back to pay. But as said, experiences are different
zercab likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Once you try to go airside again and pass Thai immigration the officer is supposed to check that your BP is issued at BKK. If not, you will be send back to check-in to have a new BP and will most likely have to pay Thai dep. tax, THB 700. However, it has been reported many times in this forum that imm. officers may not notice and allow you to pass (as if you had a BP issued at BKK). I guess it is what you could call a "hit or miss". Good luck!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:23 pm

anyway let us know, whether you had to pay departure tax or not!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
BTW, 700THB is around measly USD22... So it depends on what the purpose of leaving the airport for 3 hours is... I can see some worthy causes...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
There's not much to do landside at the airport that would make the hassle of inbound/outbound immigration worth it for that length of time, nor $22. A bunch of average restaurants and a food court. 3 hours is a bit too short to go far outside the airport, and there's not much nearby anyway. The small Paseo outdoor shopping mall is 10-15 minutes away by cab if you just have to get out of the airport. Or you can buy access to a Miracle lounge airside if you don't have other lounge access.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 am

Similar question.....

I have this award reservation. 13 hrs overnight transit in BKK. Will TG ground in DPS issue all BP for 3 sectors?? I will not stay in airside of BKK. I prefer hotel in the city because the airport train journey is only 30 minutes.

700THB will be collected in BKK, if SQ sectors BP issued by SQ ground on Apr 22 ???

2nd sector is SQ first 787-10 metal

Last edited by netcat; Feb 13, 2018 at 5:02 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:53 am

from my experience, if connection is the next day, they assume that you go landside and add automatically airport tax to the fare.
ground staff will be reluctant to check through until final destination as connection is overnight, last flight is more then 24 hours after first check in (in addition different Airline). Wonder whether you will be able to check through if you insist and ask station manager for support.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is almost certain that TG at DPS will refuse or be unable to check you in the following day for SQ flights ex. BKK. Bags might get checked through but you will be asked to collect your SQ BP's at BKK. Whether SQ will collect the 700 Bath dept. tax depends on whether it has already been collected when the ticket was issued - as suggested above - or if the SQ landside check-in staff doesn't notice that dep. tax has not been collected and fails to request payment from you. Anyway, have 700 B ready to pay for the dep. tax if you go landside on this itinerary.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is almost certain that TG at DPS will refuse or be unable to check you in the following day for SQ flights ex. BKK. Bags might get checked through but you will be asked to collect your SQ BP's at BKK. Whether SQ will collect the 700 Bath dept. tax depends on whether it has already been collected when the ticket was issued - as suggested above - or if the SQ landside check-in staff doesn't notice that dep. tax has not been collected and fails to request payment from you. Anyway, have 700 B ready to pay for the dep. tax if you go landside on this itinerary.
I don't expect TG at DPS can do perfect, checking me thru to HKG, Just only hope TG won't change the metal, I got seat 1K on this 744 with suites version.

Thank you for reply, BinSabai and SK AAR
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by netcat
I don't expect TG at DPS can do perfect, checking me thru to HKG, Just only hope TG won't change the metal, I got seat 1K on this 744 with suites version.
Thank you for reply, BinSabai and SK AAR
oh great (without Status or you do not mention on your handle?)!
enjoy the flight, will be better then the regional SQ Business flights! even they come with the old configuration 747, which is actually even better on a day flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.